Goodreads Authors/Readers discussion

Author Resource Round Table > Where do you post reviews?

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Angel (new)

Angel Lepire | 62 comments Of course, there are the obvious answers to this question: right here on goodreads, Amazon, possibly B&N. But I'm wondering where else you post reviews either as just a reader, if you're an author who does or has swapped reviews. What places do you post reviews? And do you post the same review in multiple places? I have a few here on gr, a few on Amazon, even 1 on Amazon/uk. If your reviews are good but they're all spread out, is there an efficent (and proper) way to showcase them all in one place? I have a website where I could tie them together, but of course that doesn't have the same kind of traffic as this site or some of the other big ones. I guess this thread seems kind of all over the place now, but I've found that people rarely give a direct answer the exact question I ask on here anyway. ;-) So I'll just let you guys wing it...

message 2: by Denise (new)

Denise Baer | 321 comments What? Just kidding.

I post in all the obvious places you mentioned and on my blog. If I remember, I'll go to Shelfari and/or Library Thing to post it there too. Even though they're in different places, they'll pop up on Google so I'm not worried about it.

As an author, I'm just happy when people write reviews. :)

Take care.

Denise Baer
http://www.authordenisebaer.com

message 3: by Lex (last edited Mar 20, 2013 04:06AM) (new)

Lex Allen (lexallenbooks) | 123 comments Hi Angel - I post book reviews on Amazon, both US and UK, and occasionally DE (the German site). I'd post them here as well, but I haven't figured out how to do that... :o(.

As an author, I consolidate my reviews and post on my website. You're right, not the same exposure, but still something.

message 4: by R.A. (new)

R.A. White (rawhite) | 361 comments Lex wrote: "Hi Angel - I post book reviews on Amazon, both US and UK, and occasionally DE (the German site). I'd post them here as well, but I haven't figured out how to do that... :o(.

As an author, I cons..."

I think when you click 'read' on a book it gives you the option to rate and write a review.

message 5: by A.L. (new)

A.L. Butcher (alb2012) | 848 comments It is helpful to copy a review over to the other Amazon sites, although saying that if and when I review there I usually forget. The .com ones do come over to .co.uk but not the other way around. It is useful to see what others think on the other side of the pond:)

I don't often review on 'zon now anyway since authors stopped being able to post reviews.

message 6: by Lex (new)

Lex Allen (lexallenbooks) | 123 comments R.A. Thanks for the 'tip'... :o)

Alexandra said, "I don't often review on 'zon now anyway since authors stopped being able to post reviews."

Hmmm, I've written several reviews on .com and, as far as I know, they are all still there. In fact, I wrote a review today for The Geneva Decision by Seeley James.

I have heard that Amazon will take an author's review down if he reviews a book in the same genre as his own, but again... I've done that, as well.

message 7: by A.L. (new)

A.L. Butcher (alb2012) | 848 comments It does seem to be a bit hit and miss to be honest. I reviewed a fantasy last year, it was kids book but it was a fantasy. Oddly as well I rated and reviewed a romance and that still stays. I am not sure where the line is drawn. If one writes say Adult Fantasy Romance does that exclude all fantasy and all romance or just fantasy romance or just fantasy or just romance.

The romance I read tends to be Historical Romance. I can understand the need to be vigilant for sockpuppetry and bogus one star reviews but not all 5 star or even 1 star reviews are undeserving.

Yes of course some people abuse the system, be they authors or readers but most don't. Quite a few people on KDP forums and facebook have had their own reviews removed or had reviews removed from their books.

I think the guidelines are, as you say, not within your own genre or if you are deemed to have a financial interest in the book. So I suppose if my sister left a review that could be seen as a financial consideration, or if I left a 1 star review for a book hoping authors would buy mine instead. Although how one would prove this unless the review said "Book X was S*** buy my book....title here." Which would be a teensy bit silly.

I have heard of authors getting nasty reviews or silly reviews but I would guess a lot of readers would just look and dismiss the review for what it was.

Not everyone likes the same books, that is a fact of life. :)

message 8: by Natasha (new)

Natasha Holme (natashaholme) | 113 comments I tweet (via @lesbianbulimia) when I've left a review, to give it extra exposure.

message 9: by Justin (new)

Justin (justinbienvenue) | 2165 comments Theres a place called AskDavid.com that people can post reviews of books and are encouraged to post their reviews as a type of promotion to help authors