Books I Loathed discussion

Loathed Titles > America by PostModernist Baudrillard - it's so bad it's hilarious

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Nanci (new)

Nanci Svensson | 26 comments Want to read a book that interprets something the author has about as much insight into as an elephant has about poststructuralism? Read this, and rejoice. It has got to be the most pretentious France-o-centric misunderstanding of a continent even among Baudrillard's peers, written in a pseudo scientific essay form that cracks me up!

:"'‘Breakdancing’ is a feat of acrobatic gymnastics. Only at the end do you realize it
actually was dancing, when the dancer freezes into a lazy, languid pose (elbow on
the ground, head nonchalantly resting in the palm of the hand, the pose you see on
Etruscan tombs). The way they suddenly come to rest like this is reminiscent of
Chinese opera. But the Chinese warrior comes to a halt at the height of the action
in a heroic gesture [...] "

Omg! The humanity! The quotes are innumerable in this gem!

message 2: by John (new)

John Conolley (john_conolley) | 56 comments That quotation is actually pretty cool. I might read this book.

message 3: by John (new)

John Conolley (john_conolley) | 56 comments John wrote: "That quotation is actually pretty cool. I might read this book."
I've ordered it from Barnes & Noble. Thanks for the clue.

message 4: by Taughnee (new)

Taughnee Golubović | 2 comments France-o-centric LOL. I think I just want to read more of your reviews, Nanci.

message 5: by Nanci (new)

Nanci Svensson | 26 comments Have fun, John! Wait till Baudrillard tries to deconstruct the word processor, the nadir of literacy in Western Civilization... (I really do think he physically deconstructed a word processor, hoping to find the Ring or something as ominous...)