The Sword and Laser discussion

How long to publish an ebook?

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Daniel (new)

Daniel Ferguson | 21 comments Assuming that you've submitted a manuscript and it's been accepted and all that... how long should it take to publish an ebook? I've heard 6 months. So far mine's taken 2 years - some of that can't be helped - and I'm beginning to wonder how much of this is just thumb-twiddling? (or something) To be fair, though, there were factors like me rewriting - and having a nervous breakdown - and them getting word out about their publication. I also wonder if the publisher is really the right one for *my* story. THEN I heard about this place and thought "Oh wow, this is GREAT and my story FITS here!" That doesn't a success make, of course, and unless I get an agent I'd be in a slush pile, but yeah. Small time indie publisher - 500 likes on Facebook - versus S&L: 15,962 members. Hmm. I don't know what their business plans are, whether they plan to go global (they're local at the moment) or whether they aim to be a big thing or just a small indie publisher. I will have to find that out.

[/vent]

My stuff is pulpy, quirky, funny and crazy with monsters, mages and mutants, set in my home city, but a ruined post-apocalyptic version of it.

message 2: by Gordon (new)

Gordon McLeod (mcleodg) | 347 comments 2 years sounds incredibly excessive, but you've also listed off a whole pack of circumstances that obviously must've had an impact. It typically takes me a day or two to publish an eBook, not counting the time it takes to write and edit it. That's me as an indie self-publisher though. Getting contracts and more people involved, yeah, that's going to blow the time up a lot.