Anything Goes discussion

ARCHIVES > May 2013 Book of the Month - Tell the Wolves I'm Home OR Life After Life

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Chris (new)

Chris Stanley (christinelstanley) | 922 comments Please nominate books for May as soon as possible.

Remember, if you choose a series, please pick just first and second books in the sequence. Also, try not to pick out brand new releases which are only available in hardback; we want our members to have options to buy inexpensively, second hand or borrow from libraries.

Thanks

message 2: by Chris (new)

Chris Stanley (christinelstanley) | 922 comments Anything planned to read for May; I would like to poll at beginning of April so we have time for sourcing books.

message 3: by Joan (new)

Joan I would like to nominate Tell the Wolves I'm Home by Carol Rifka Brunt. I've seen good comments about this one.

message 4: by Chris (new)

Chris Stanley (christinelstanley) | 922 comments I have re-opened the Poll since we had a tie, please vote, we only have two books nominated for May

message 5: by Chris (new)

Chris Stanley (christinelstanley) | 922 comments Mark thanks for that, I'll include How to be good for the next (June) nominations since I've only reopened the poll, not the nominations too.

message 6: by Chris (new)

Chris Stanley (christinelstanley) | 922 comments We have a tie after the extension so read which ever book you prefer, or both.

Tell the Wolves I'm Home, Tell the Wolves I'm Home by Carol Rifka Brunt

or

Life After Life, Life After Life by Kate Atkinson

message 7: by Chris (new)

Chris Stanley (christinelstanley) | 922 comments Has anyone read either of our May books so far. I was really excited to make a start on Kate Atkinson's new book, Life after Life, but I find it's not that exciting. I'm only about 20% in, but I confess I'm struggling to go back to it. The reviews are good so it's probably just me. I'd interested your thoughts.

Tell the Wolves I'm Home is still quite expensive on Amazon so I'm hoping for a library copy, but it looks good

message 8: by Chris (new)

Chris Stanley (christinelstanley) | 922 comments Have ever been really excited to start a long awaited book, then for it to fall flat? Life after Life is like that for me. I have read the first 100 ish pages and cannot raise the will to go back. It's so dull! I'm hoping that it will entice me back sometime in the future, but for now, it's gathering dust. Will try Tell the Wolves I'm Home Tell the Wolves I'm Home soon as the alternative to our BotM.

What does everyone else think of these books?

message 9: by Shelli (new)

Shelli | 38 comments I read Tell the Wolves I'm Home and loved it...probably my favorite book of 2013 so far....too bad about Life after Life...that is on my TBR.

message 10: by Chris (new)

Chris Stanley (christinelstanley) | 922 comments That's good to know Shelli, I bought it for my kindle but have not got to it yet, I'll probably start tomorrow. A bit late but never mind

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

I want to read this one too but so far can't get a copy.

message 12: by Joan (new)

Joan I imagine the libraries don't have enough funding to get the very latest books onto their shelves, which is why there's always a long wait for a popular book.

message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

Joan wrote: "I imagine the libraries don't have enough funding to get the very latest books onto their shelves, which is why there's always a long wait for a popular book."

I just looked and I am number one for this one so I should get it in a few days.

message 14: by Ava Catherine (new)

Ava Catherine Tell the Wolves I'm Home is a lovely book about forgiveness, acceptance, love, sacrifice, selfishness, and a search for identity. I rarely cry when reading a book, but this book did make me cry. I love this book.

message 15: by Shelli (new)

Shelli | 38 comments Connie wrote: "Tell the Wolves I'm Home is a lovely book about forgiveness, acceptance, love, sacrifice, selfishness, and a search for identity. I rarely cry when reading a book, but this book did make me cry. I..."

Me too Connie.