The Pickwick Club discussion

In which Pickwick is discussed > Episodes VII-VIII Chapters 18-23

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jonathan (last edited Mar 19, 2013 09:18PM) (new)

Jonathan Moran | 666 comments Mod
The Independent indirectly accuses Mrs. Pott of an inappropriate relationship with our Mr. Winkle; Pickwick receives a letter from Mrs. Bardell's attorney seeking damages due to the illustrious gentleman failing to make good on his intentions to marry her; another hunting excursion in which Pickwick eventually gets left out in a wheel barrow and Winkle, the sportsman, exhibits his total lack of marksmanship; this event gives way to more troubles as Captain Boldwig finds Pickwick asleep in the wheelbarrow and captures that trespasser; Pickwick and Weller visit Dodson and Fogg's, the devious attorneys of the scorned widow; after finding that his own attorney is away until the following week Pickwick and Weller run into Sam's father; they find Pickwick's attorney's clerk, Mr. Lowten, at The Magpie and Stump; during his evening there Pickwick is entertained by a Jack Bamber who recounts three morbid tales of dead men found at various inns; before they leave, Bamber relates The Old Man's Tale about the Queer Client; Sam's father tells him about Mrs. Weller's tea party for the shepherd; Pickwick and the two male Wellers meet up with a Peter Magnus and travel together to Ipswich; another mishap - after forgetting his watch at dinner with Magnus, Pickwick, during a late night excursion to retrieve it, enters the wrong room by mistake and scares a middle-aged woman half to death; Sam receives some advice from his father after being scolded on letting down the family by allowing himself to be duped by Job Trotter; immediately thereafter, Sam runs in to his old nemesis.

Fellow Pickwickians, place your own observations below!

message 2: by Jonathan (last edited Mar 19, 2013 09:13PM) (new)

Obviously, this novel should be classified as a comedy. No matter where he goes or what he does, the illustrious gentleman finds himself in a world of trouble. In this section, his troubles begin to mount as he now finds himself on the wrong side of the law, not once but twice. The frivolous lawsuit reminds me a little bit of The Merchant of Venice and Shylock (was it?) wanting his pound of flesh. Although she is not out for blood, Mrs. Bardell is obviously out for Pickwick's money. This frivolous lawsuit takes center stage during these two episodes.

What with the misunderstandings and silly lawsuits, corpulent men being ushered around in wheelbarrows, sportsmen misfiring their guns, corpulent men getting kidnapped by captains, fathers complaining to their sons about their wives religious fanaticism, chance meetings with strangers who are obsessively compulsive about their names and their luggage, old corpulent men choosing the wrong doors and scaring old ladies half to death, I must say, that I find the Pickwick Club to be nonstop, good, clean fun.

message 3: by Jonathan (new)

Not to spoil it for you, but the last two chapters of the section get back to the main problem, and they are shorter.

message 4: by Petra (new)

Petra Joy, that one was funny. I laughed through much of it. It made me wonder just how meandering and convoluted English inns were....or does Pickwick just have a very bad sense of direction? :D
How are you enjoying the book so far?