Q & A Ellyn Oaksmith discussion

Book that Rocked Your World and Why?

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ellyn (last edited Mar 20, 2013 08:43AM) (new)

Ellyn Oaksmith | 8 comments Mod
Name a book that made a big impression on you and why? How old were you?

message 2: by Ellyn (last edited Mar 20, 2013 08:45AM) (new)

Anne of Green Gables. A strong, willful orphan who gets into fascination trouble and charms an entire island. What's not to love? I was 9. I identified with her as an outsider. It made me feel comforted at a time when I was feeling marginalized. People saw me completely differently from the way I felt inside. Anne was, as she would say, a "kindred spirit." It made me feel less lonely.

message 3: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 1 comments There have been many over the years. I have to say Angela's Ashes made a huge impression on me and stuck with me for a very long time.

message 4: by Ellyn (new)

Sarah wrote: "There have been many over the years. I have to say Angela's Ashes made a huge impression on me and stuck with me for a very long time."

Hi Sarah: I saw this and forgot about it and thought I'd missed a Q & A on some group!!! I agree with Angela's Ashes. I remember talking to Stan about it and he kept saying how depressing it was and yet, it was more uplifting. We talked about how some people get ground down by horrible circumstances and others manage to get out and thrive. His follow up to this book wasn't as enjoyable, I thought. And even more depressing. Angela's Ashes was such a phenomena!