Discovering Russian Literature discussion

The Brothers Karamazov
This topic is about The Brothers Karamazov
Group Reads Archive - 2013 > The Brothers Karamazov: Book 2 - March 19-25

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Amalie (last edited Mar 25, 2013 11:54PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Amalie  | 650 comments Mod
Use this thread for the discussions on book 2 - An Inappropriate Gathering.

So I'm almost done with this part and I'm just wondering is Father Zossima the Christ-like figure here not Alyosha?

Zossima's philosophy very much reflects the same "love is such a priceless treasure that you can redeem the whole world by it and expiate not only your own sins but the sins of others"
"strive to love your neighbor actively and indefatigably" Him curing the ill (the paralysed girl etc.) why can't Alyosha practice Jesus' concept of love alone, why there is a re-presenter?

---------------------------------------------

The most interesting character for me here was Ivan. He is very quiet and difficult to read. He is smart, an intellectual. Perhaps it's Ivan, not the fiery Dmitri, is the real rebel of the novel?

Rachel Green | 37 comments One thing I found particularly interesting was Madame Hoklakov's dialogue in "A Woman of Little Faith". She discusses her desire to escape her role as her daughter's caretaker, something that most caretakers would admit to having at some point or another.

She also expands upon a wish to become a nun and to live the rest of her life serving others. One of the things that stops her, however, is the fact that she would most likely be unappreciated.

I found that particular passage very poignant because it speaks to our need to feel appreciated for the good things that we do, and the anger and frustration that often occurs when we're not appreciated.

I found this rather long but interesting article on faith and philosophy. It's connected to TBK. Here you go: http://www.uri.edu/personal/szunjic/p...

Lauren (tewks) I'm starting to wonder about Fyodor's relationship with his father.

Rachel Green | 37 comments Another point I liked was the passage about crime and punishment in So Be It! So Be It! I agree, prison isn't a good deterrent for criminal activity. I'd be interested to see if the church excommunication idea would work, but to be successful enough criminals would need to seriously follow some religion.

I also agreed with the implied stance that the only way to actually absolve a crime is to feel genuine remorse. But even if someone did, would we actually believe them?

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

Amalie wrote: "So I'm almost done with this part and I'm just wondering is Father Zossima the Christ-like figure here not Alyosha?..."

Amalie,I think it's Alyosha. We find some things about Father Zossima's personal life that would not fit into the Christ-like persona, I think.

Lauren wrote: "I'm starting to wonder about Fyodor's relationship with his father."

Yes, now that you brought it up, I'm curious too. Do you have any thoughts?

Lauren wrote: "I'm starting to wonder about Fyodor's relationship with his father."

Lauren I think you brought a really interesting question. Does anyone else know that events that featured in the author's life are reflected in TBK?

Dostoyevsky's father was head physician in a hospital and was apparently murdered by some serfs on his estate. In the book, Fyodor Pavlovich Karamazov, the father of the brothers, is presented as a landowner with a few servants and (view spoiler)

His addiction to gambling, marrying twice in (Mitya Karamazov)

Dostoyevsky lost a son Aleksey the name Aleksey or Alyosha is given to the youngest of the brothers Karamazov. I'm sure there's lot more if we check.

I wonder why Dostoyevsky's father was murdered?

Amyjzed | 44 comments Supposedly Doestoevsky's father was a drunkard and had a penchant for deflowering the village virgins. His manner of death is quite violent and purposeful.