Books on the Nightstand discussion

Local BOTNS Meetups! > Any Phoenix Area BOTNers?

Comments Showing 1-25 of 25 (25 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tammy AZ (new)

Tammy AZ (tammyaz) | 26 comments Are there any fellow listeners in the Phoenix area? Would love to connect.

message 2: by Janet (new)

Janet (justjanet) | 790 comments Me, me, me! I will send you a friend request.

message 3: by Ellen (new)

Ellen Eisinberg | 3 comments yes me. BOTNS is my FAVORITE Podcast. Lets meet-up!

message 4: by Janet (new)

Janet (justjanet) | 790 comments what part of the valley are you in? I live in northeast Phoenix but work near downtown. Let's come up with a mutually convenient meeting place.

message 5: by Ellen (new)

Ellen Eisinberg | 3 comments I live close to Tatum and Shea.

message 6: by Janet (new)

Janet (justjanet) | 790 comments Fry's wine bar sounds like a good location to me.

message 7: by Tammy AZ (new)

Tammy AZ (tammyaz) | 26 comments I live south of downtown but work in downtown.

message 8: by A (new)

A | 14 comments Not Phoenix but it's not too far away, Casa Grande for me.

message 9: by Janet (new)

Janet (justjanet) | 790 comments To go or not to go?
I see Neil Gaiman is going to be here for his book tour. I read American Gods by Neil Gaiman and I'm probably the only person in the world who didn't like it. Should I give him another shot? He is saying this will be his last US book tour ever.

message 10: by Ann (new)

Ann (akingman) | 2097 comments Mod
Go.
Read some other Gaiman -- his short stories, or Coraline, or American Gods ... or don't read but go see him in person, and maybe you'll develop a new appreciation. I think meeting or seeing authors in person can give you a new appreciation for their work, even if you still don't like it. Don't miss the chance.

message 11: by Gerald (new)

Gerald Miller | 821 comments I am the other person who did not like AMERICAN GODS however I did like THE GRAVEYARD BOOK which was very entertaining. I would see and hear Gaiman if I had a chance. He has a lot of interest and anyone who has written a DR WHO is worth listening to

message 12: by Janet (new)

Janet (justjanet) | 790 comments Thanks for the input...I see Khaled Hosseini is coming also...definitely need to go to that. Someone should tell the publishers not to book them here in summer...geez it'll be hot.

message 13: by Tammy AZ (new)

Tammy AZ (tammyaz) | 26 comments I saw NG at the American Library Assoc meeting in 2011. He's a very interesting guy and I'm still thinking about attending. I need to make a quick decision because I hear tickets are going fast.

We should all plan a Phoenix meetup at Changing Hands. It's further south but has fairly good freeway access for you in the north and probably a little more doable for Annette.

message 14: by Janet (new)

Janet (justjanet) | 790 comments Changing Hands works for me...a weeknight meet-up works best as I work near downtown and can just head there after work. Still undecided about Gaiman as I see he is also at BEA and I am going again this year.

message 15: by Stacie (new)

Stacie | 51 comments Yes, go see Gaiman if you can get a ticket!! They are already sold out in Portland and Seattle. Note: it is not his last book tour, just the last one where he will be doing any signing at the event itself.

message 16: by Janet (new)

Janet (justjanet) | 790 comments The bookstore, Changing Hands, is having it offsite at an area high school. They do this routinely when they are expecting big crowds. Not sure what the capacity is.

message 17: by A (new)

A | 14 comments Changing Hands works for me as well unfortunately, I am not available in the evenings during the week.

The Neil Gaiman event is at South Mountain HS and sounds like it should be alot of fun and it looks like tickets are still available but I'm not 100% sure on that.

message 18: by Janet (new)

Janet (justjanet) | 790 comments Hi Annette,
The Gaiman event is on a Wednesday evening but Khaled Hosseini is going to be on a Sunday.

message 19: by A (new)

A | 14 comments I might try to make that one then, thanks!

message 20: by Tammy AZ (new)

Tammy AZ (tammyaz) | 26 comments I broke down and bought my Neil Gaiman ticket today. I'm not sure my schedule will work for Khaled Hosseini but I'm really going to try to make that one also.

message 21: by Janet (new)

Janet (justjanet) | 790 comments I'll be interested to hear about it Tammy. I've decided to forego Gaiman...the $33 book/ticket price is a little high for me considering I've been less than enthusiastic about his work. Pretty sure I'm going to do Hosseini though as The Kite Runneris probably in my top 5 or 10 of all time.

message 22: by Linda (new)

Linda | 2805 comments Mod
Janet wrote: "I'll be interested to hear about it Tammy. I've decided to forego Gaiman...the $33 book/ticket price is a little high for me considering I've been less than enthusiastic about his work. Pretty su..."

Janet, will you get me a copy? I'll send you the money?

Your-normally-don't-root-for-the-Buckeyes-fan-but-Khaleid-Hosseini-will-make-me-consider-it-friend.

The Blue Sheep in my family,
Linda

message 23: by Janet (new)

Janet (justjanet) | 790 comments Linda,
I'm sending you an email.

message 24: by Karen (new)

Karen Allen (tetaknits) | 16 comments I'm in the Phoenix area - but out in Mesa. Love listening to the podcast. Changing Hands is a bit south and west for me. :) (I'm at Val Vista and Southern.)

message 25: by Janet (new)

Janet (justjanet) | 790 comments Hello Tetaknits...I'd say Mesa definitely qualifies as Phoenix area. My son works for the City of Mesa and drives it from N. Phoenix every day. We are certainly a big, spread out metropolitan area.