What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Pastora
This topic is about Pastora
SOLVED: Adult Fiction > SOLVED. A woman leaves Kansas to come to California. She arrives in Northern California (during the gold rush). Her husband leaves her. I think she had a herd of sheep. [s]

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kelie (new)

Kelie | 6 comments A woman leaves Kansas to come to California. She arrives in Northern California (during the gold rush). Her husband leaves her. I think she had a herd of sheep.
She ends up raising a little boy that is not biological hers. She does have a biological daughter. The boy and the girl fall in love but think its wrong because they are related. However, the women then admits that he is not biologically her son.
She became wealthier and wealthier, and ends up well off. Gets a vineyard in Sonoma

Cheryl is busier irl atm. (cherylllr) Do you have any idea when you read this, or how old it might be?

Was it a lighter read, more like something you could buy in a supermarket, or was it more serious, like many library books?

Do you have a sense of whether the author was well-known?

message 3: by Kelie (new)

Kelie | 6 comments it was a thick read - minimum 600 pages. i found it in my mother's closet in the 90's, but my mother was in her 80's at the time, and im not sure how long she had it for.

not sure about the author

Cheryl is busier irl atm. (cherylllr) Hmm. Well, keep bumping the thread every month or two - eventually someone will recognize it!

message 5: by Kelie (new)

Kelie | 6 comments bump

message 6: by Cornelia (last edited Aug 26, 2013 02:30AM) (new)

Cornelia Shields | 51 comments "Pastora" by Joanna Barnes.

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/27...

message 7: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 38242 comments Mod
Kelie, was "Pastora" your book?

message 8: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 38242 comments Mod
Kelie hasn't been active since 2013 but it sounds from reviews like this is her book.