Dorothy Parker Society Constant Reader Book Club discussion

How Long Does It Take To Read A Book?

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kevin (new)

Kevin Fitzpatrick (kevinfitzpatrick) | 29 comments Mod
So we are just mere days away from announcing our first book to read. I need to ask: how long do we give members to read the book? Is it two weeks? A month? I'd like to see the discussion start, but how long does it take you to read on average?

message 2: by Cindy (new)

Cindy | 5 comments It would depend on how long the book is. And you want people to be able to get the book. I would say maybe start with a month and see how it goes...:)

message 3: by Kevin (new)

I like that idea. What do other people think? If the book isn't available locally, then you'd need a minimum of a week to order it online and get it shipped. So that knocks out 7 days right there.

message 4: by J.J. (new)

J.J. Murphy (jj_murphy) | 2 comments Other book clubs I've encountered typically read one book per month.

message 5: by Carol (new)

Carol I agree with Cindy. The average reader should be able to finish a book, depending on its length, in that amount of time. A good starting point.

message 6: by Cindy (new)

Cindy | 5 comments :)

message 7: by Melanie (new)

Melanie (teabird) | 18 comments If we're reading a collection of short stories, can we start to discuss them in groups of, maybe, 5?

message 8: by Kevin (new)

I like Melanie's idea a lot. I also want to suggest separating "Big Blonde" from the rest. It's a novella and each character can be explored at length. "Big Blonde" is Mrs. Parker's most-read story, and it deserves to be talked about by itself.

message 9: by Melanie (new)

Melanie (teabird) | 18 comments Agree - I love that story, and it's easily as meaty as a novel.

message 10: by Betty (new)

Betty | 1 comments For those who like DP's books, I totally recommend a fairly new one with the same kind of verve. It is "The Rules of Civility" by Amor Towles

message 11: by Melanie (last edited Mar 20, 2013 11:03AM) (new)

Melanie (teabird) | 18 comments I have it on my Nook - thanks for reminding me.

message 12: by Cindy (new)

Cindy | 5 comments "Big Blonde" is just about my favorite story!!! :)

message 13: by Michael (new)

Michael Mayer (michaelalanmayer) | 14 comments This as a Bob Benchley question!