Oliver Twist Oliver Twist discussion

oliver twist

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Maia (new)

Maia Wimmer I rather enjoyed this book, but I honestly prefer the musical. That's just me

Gina W Fischer I'm right with you,Maia. The book had coincidences improbable even for Dickens! And the musical, while in fairness is much more happy and palatable, is ever so much more fun.

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

A book is always different than either a movie or musical because print is a different medium. The 1968 film was stunning and done well, but I always like to read Dickens's novels because of his rich characters and stories.

Book Worm i loved this book though and if u likd it i suggest reading David Copperfield....its like a little similar story

Gina W Fischer David Copperfield and Nicholas Nickelby are my 2 favorites!

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

For some reason, I missed Nicholas Nickelby -- must put it on my miles-long To Read list. Bleak House and Old Curiosity Shop are also very good. David Copperfield is one of my favorites, but I always come back to the simplicity and poignancy of Oliver Twist.

Georgina Monk I enjoyed the 2005 film the best because on the musicals it all seems alittle jolly for what Dickens was trying to achieve.I love all versions of the story though :)

Removed Removed Book wrote: "i loved this book though and if u likd it i suggest reading David Copperfield....its like a little similar story"

Agreed! Copperfield was a splendid book! Enjoyed every minute of reading it.

Tweedledum I was force fed dickens in school which rather put me off, but when I picked up a second hand copy of Oliver Twist at 18 I just could not put it down. This was the book that really made me fall in love with Dickens and appreciate the depth of his writing. The little scene between My Bumble and his wife still makes my smile just to think of it. What a pity it was never in the films or musical.

Tweedledum "Are you going to sit snoring there, all day?" Inquired Mrs Bumble. "I am going to sit here as long as I think proper ma'am; " rejoined Mr Bumble, " and although I was not snoring, I shall snore, gape, sneeze, laugh or cry as the humour takes me, such being my prerogative ."

Mrs Bumble does not take this challenge lying down and determines to demonstrate who is the boss.

Feliks 'Little Dorrit' is (in my opinion) his most laugh-out-loud hilarious; at least from what I've read so far...

Georgina Monk Tweedledum wrote: "I was force fed dickens in school which rather put me off, but when I picked up a second hand copy of Oliver Twist at 18 I just could not put it down. This was the book that really made me fall in ..."

I love that scene so much too!

message 13: by S (new) - rated it 4 stars

S Gina123 wrote: "I'm right with you,Maia. The book had coincidences improbable even for Dickens! And the musical, while in fairness is much more happy and palatable, is ever so much more fun."

I actually prefer the musical to the classic 1948 David Lean film; it's sacrilege, but it's my honest opinion.

Matilda Rose Dickens makes me laugh. Therefore, I like the original. :)