The Sword and Laser discussion

Downbelow Station (The Company Wars, #1)
This topic is about Downbelow Station
Podcasts > S&L Podcast - #123 - Power Couples

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Becca (new)

Becca (Becca_Canote) | 101 comments If you're not too offended but the first few minutes you're going to love this episode. It's not as bad as that sounds, but we both need help choosing words right there at the top. But THEN we get excited about new Scott Lynch, Westeros History, and Benedict Cumberbatch reading Neil Gaiman out loud.

http://swordandlaser.com/home/2013/3/...

Enjoy!

Kris (kvolk) All right!! new S and L!! Yeah!! love the banter and look forward to the book wrap up and the new read in April!

message 3: by Camilla (new)

Camilla (repressedpauper) YAY I've been looking forward to this~ Time to download.

message 4: by John (new)

John Wiswell | 86 comments Add me to the excited crowd. Off to download!

Sean O'Hara (seanohara) | 2365 comments Didn't we do milSF, like, two months ago with Old Man's War? And before that with The Forever War.

message 6: by library_jim (new)

library_jim | 212 comments Just want to warn those Kindle book shopping that the three-volume Dragonrider's of Pern edition they mention on the podcast has many negative reviews regarding it's formatting. You might want to buy them individually if you want better copies. I was going to buy it but see that my local library has them on audio, so I think I'll go that route.

Are we doing all three or just the first in the trilogy?

GREAT episode, by the way! Thanks.

message 7: by Jeff (new) - added it

Jeff Namadan (jnamadan) | 218 comments Wow, thanks for the heads up on the Kindle edition of the Dragonrider's of Pern. Was all set to buy that as it was a "value" buy. Now I can see why it is so. Looks like just Dragonflight for me.

BTW: We're just reading Dragonflight for the pick.

message 8: by Tamahome (new)

Tamahome | 6193 comments Sean wrote: "Didn't we do milSF, like, two months ago with Old Man's War? And before that with The Forever War."

But it didn't say 'Baen' on the cover.

message 9: by Kalvin (new)

Kalvin | 27 comments That was a really good audio show, and I'm not just saying that because I was mentioned, but It is such a buzz to hear your name and thread talked about on the show, but a part of me feels like I have become that guy who people go "Drat I was going to post that but he beat me to it" admittedly I am paraphrasing, I know few people say drat nowadays, and the next book pick is one I have been waiting to read for ages, but haven't got around to it so bonus!

message 10: by library_jim (new)

library_jim | 212 comments library_jim wrote: "Just want to warn those Kindle book shopping that the three-volume Dragonrider's of Pern edition they mention on the podcast has many negative reviews regarding it's formatting. You might want to ..."

Sorry, thought I'd listened to the whole episode, but realized I'd stopped before they make it clear that like other trilogies we CAN read them all but only NEED to read Dragonflight. Which sounds fine to me. I'm going back and reading some titles from the club you guys did before I found you. If you happened to have missed it, The Lies of Locke Lamora is gooood.

message 11: by Sara (new)

Sara (medusasmirror) | 44 comments Since they mentioned the Honor Harrington universe by David Weber I thought I'd give everyone a heads up that Audible is having a 48 hr sale and all the Honor-verse books are $6.95

message 12: by Casey (new) - added it

Casey | 654 comments Good stuff!
Also enjoyed the panel.

message 13: by Damon (last edited Mar 25, 2013 10:30PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Damon Polich | 1 comments Amazon.com and baen.com is offering On Basilisk Station by David Weber for free.
I got it a few weeks ago and just checked and it is still free.

Also The Honor of the Queen by David Weber is free.

message 14: by library_jim (new)

library_jim | 212 comments Damon wrote: "Amazon.com and baen.com is offering On Basilisk Station by David Weber for free.
I got it a few weeks ago and just checked and it is still free.

Also The Honor of the Queen by David Weber is free."

Wow, thanks! Just grabbed them. Can't beat FREE.

message 15: by Dara (new)

Dara (cmdrdara) | 2693 comments Grabbed those as well. Thanks!

message 16: by Tassie Dave, S&L Historian (new) - rated it 3 stars

Tassie Dave | 3506 comments Mod
Thanks for the heads up Damon. Grabbed both as well.

It is a series I've wanted to try. The first 2 books in the series free is a great way to try it :-)

AndrewP (andrewca) | 2470 comments To clarify the David Weber military SF books.
On Basilisk Station is the first of the Honor Harrington series, but can be read as a stand alone. There are no unanswered questions or real ongoing story lines that demand further explanation.

The Safehold series is the exact opposite. The first book, Off Armageddon Reef, starts a massive story arc with loads of characters, plots and subplots. Once you have read it you just have to keep going if you want to follow the story. But, from the pace of the first few novels, this could be a VERY long series before he gets to the ultimate goal mentioned in the first book.

message 18: by Warren (new)

Warren | 1556 comments As mention in the podcast-
Today is the last day (23 hours left) to listen to episode one of BBC's Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman-
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01r5...