History Buffs United discussion

Austen Retelling

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Pauline (last edited Mar 19, 2013 05:02PM) (new)

Pauline Montagna (pauline_montagna) I know I'm coming late to this, but I've just discovered the 'Austen Retelling' genre. Obviously I've come across spin-offs, prequels and sequels, but I'm rather shocked to discover that authors are actually rewriting Austen's novels (apparently, I'm told, with a lot more sex, of course). Where does homage end and plagiarism begin?

message 2: by C.P. (new)

C.P. Lesley (cplesley) | 339 comments I don't know. What I do know is that most of the imitators don't have Austen's gift for characterization. In short, they are boring.

Imitation may be the sincerest form of flattery, but that in itself does not make the results interesting....

message 3: by Pauline (new)

Pauline Montagna (pauline_montagna) Just as I suspected. Why can't people read the original and let their imagination do the rest!

message 4: by C.P. (new)

C.P. Lesley (cplesley) | 339 comments They can and do. Then they decide to publish the results, for good or ill. ;)

message 5: by Pauline (new)

Pauline Montagna (pauline_montagna) There should be a law against it!

message 6: by Hazel (new)

Hazel West | 816 comments Mod
I agree, I just call fan-fiction (and that's why I'm not fond of it). Have you heard of the retellings with zombies, sea monsters and other paranormal things??

message 7: by Hazel (new)

Hazel West | 816 comments Mod
I don't really have a huge thing against those since they are obviously done in humor ;) I still prefer them to the retellings with gratuitous sex and all that tripe. If done right though, classics retold with paranormal stuff can be really good. I emensely enjoyed the Secret Journey's of Jack London series. They're not supposed to be funny, and they aren't. The authors really managed to make it work.

message 8: by Pauline (new)

Pauline Montagna (pauline_montagna) a member of our book group nominated Pride and Prejudice and Zombies and I refused point blank to read it, so much so that our convener changed the topic to Austen spin-offs. As far as I'm concerned that whole series is not only disrespectful, it's downright lazy. And as a self-published writer who has worked long and hard to write original and thoroughly researched historical fiction, I find it personally offensive that it gets published at all.

message 9: by Pauline (new)

Pauline Montagna (pauline_montagna) Actually I have Lavinia on my ereader, but I love Le Guin and anything she writes. However, there is a bit of a difference retelling ancient classics and debasing classic novels. And how could anyone not like Jane Austen!