r/books discussion

Introductions > Hi, I'm Eric.

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Eric (new)

Eric Hinrichsen Jr. (ehinrichsenjr) | 33 comments Hi. My name is Eric. I'm a twenty year old college student who is studying in New Jersey, and was also born and raised here.

I like Vonnegut, zombies, thrillers, historical fiction (though I seem to have trouble finding those), and pretty much anything that I deem interesting.

In my free time, I'm a massive video game head, I write songs, and I also sing and play guitar for my band Crash the Bear. I've been playing guitar for eight years, drums and piano for four (or fiveish) and a ton of other stuff sporadically through my life.

My reddit name is my band name: CrashTheBear.

Any musicians here?

message 2: by Rose, Mod (new)

Rose (rtrinh) | 153 comments Mod
Welcome to the group, Eric! I've been wanting to get into reading Vonnegut for a while now, but haven't had the chance to pick up the books! I hear good things, any recommendations as to where I should start?

I'm also a musician in a different calibre. I was in choir for 4 years, played the flute for 3, played piano for me, and taught myself how to play the ukulele last summer. I mostly sing jazz, blues and some golden age stuff now :)

message 3: by Darliza (new)

Darliza (parentheticals) | 92 comments Hi, Eric! Welcome to the group. Vonnegut is my absolute favorite author in the world, and I'm glad to find someone else who likes him in the group.

@Rose: I started on Cat's Cradle and would recommend that. His most famous work is Slaugterhouse Five though, so you can also pick that one up then Sirens of Titan, and Breakfast of Champions. Mother Night is also a great read.

message 4: by Ashley (new)

Ashley (icecheeseplease) Hello! I am also addicted to video games and I played piano for about 8 years when I was younger, I've been meaning to pick it back up but all I have is a keyboard now (as opposed to the upright that I used to have) so the motivation just isn't there.

message 5: by Eric (new)

Eric Hinrichsen Jr. (ehinrichsenjr) | 33 comments Hooray Vonnegut fans! I actually just lucked out in the reddit book exchange: someone sent me a wonderful, leatherbound copy of several of his books in a nice collection. Definitely going on my book shelf.

As for a starting novel, I'd recommend "Mother Night" if you're looking for humor, "God Bless You, Mr. Rosewater" if you want something weird, and "Slaughterhouse-Five" if you want a classic.