Graphic Novel Reading Group discussion

Buddy Reads free comic books > Silver Surfer #1 (spoilers)

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ashley (new)

Ashley | 21 comments The very start he's like a kid.... Very trusting looking for friends n all that
But as it goes on he wishes up
I was happy with that

message 2: by Ashley (new)

Ashley | 21 comments It's very well written and fun I dunno exactly how long ago it was published but I wish most graphic novels/comics were so PASSIONATE!!!!!

message 3: by Jason (new)

Jason (jas_geek45) | 7 comments Really enjoyed had my reservations as dialogue from early comics can be a bit hard going, but this was well written and a nice socila commentary still applicable today, and awesome artwork never get bored of that old drawn style and limited colours. The idea for galactus in itself is mind blowing too.

message 4: by Rob (new)

Rob | 12 comments Artwork really stood out for me in this issue. I also love the tragic sacrifice that Radd makes in order to become the Surfer. I always perferred relucant heroes burdened with their power and responsibility. Surfer really exhudes this as hes flying around contemplating his situation.

message 5: by Adam (new)

Adam | 9 comments What a story! The tragic circumstances of Norrin Radd are kind of mind blowing. On the one hand he's desperate to leave his complacent world yet when he does, he has to make an ultimate sacrifice. I haven't read much Silver Surfer before but I was impressed with the story and the eye-popping art. I see a lot of current comic art that is not half as engaging. One thing that surprised me was how many mentions of Silver Surfer there were in other titles before this one. Was his first appearance in Fantastic Four? I was a little unclear as to when he was first introduced into the Marvel universe.

message 6: by Leesa (last edited Mar 25, 2013 09:02PM) (new)

Leesa (leesalogic) Really enjoyed the art in this one. All those circles/spots/dots. Not just in the spacey pictures or explosions, but on the table where he's reclining with his gal. A lot of action and detail in every panel. Very, very nice.

Page five, last panel: so Shakespearean and dramatic!

Language was a little stuffy for me, but I get that it's to convey his alien-ness as well as a level of higher evolution.

I was amused by the writer notes where Stan fills us in and what other incident SS is referring to, then signs it like "semi-classical Stan, soulful Stan, squeamish Stan."

message 7: by Robert (new)

Robert Wright (rhwright) | 294 comments Mea culpa. I'm so far behind with my digital comics.

Forgot just how enjoyable 60s comics can really be. Sure, it's melodrama, but it's EPIC melodrama.

In this issue, I especially appreciated John Buscema's ability to capture that "Kirby" cosmic feel of things in the artwork.

message 8: by Annice22 (new)

Annice22 | 25 comments I found this to be very deep and a bit sad. Everywhere the Silver Surfer traveled around the Earth, he was met with anger, fear, and hostility.

I used to think Spider-Man had it bad but hands down the Silver Surfer's life is much worse. At least Peter can go back to his life once he's no longer Spider-Man unlike Norrin Radd he will forever be the Silver Surfer.

It makes me wonder if given the chance would Norrin trade his new hostile life to get his old boring one back? At least with the boring life, he wouldn't have to worry about being hated wherever he goes.