Ask Taylor Ellwood discussion

How do you define magic?

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Taylor (new)

Taylor Ellwood (taylorellwood) | 14 comments Mod
How do you define magic? I'm always intrigued by how people define magic and what that definition means to them and how they apply it to their own spiritual work.

message 2: by Hilla (new)

Hilla Powell Bajwa (kalsoom) | 6 comments Magic is a tool for me to develop and lift my consciousness to a higher level. High Magic is a spiritual path for me.

The best results I always received in experimental work.

message 3: by Taylor (new)

What kind of experimental work have you done? Do you see a difference between magic done for practical purposes and high magic?

Thanks for responding!

message 4: by Hilla (last edited Mar 23, 2013 11:59AM) (new)

Hilla Powell Bajwa (kalsoom) | 6 comments A magical experimental work is an approach to magic, which nobody teached me and I have not seen it written in a book before.

In begin of magical path I had to find a way to reach certain places on the astral or mental level.

I use a challenge, a painting of a consciouness model, a magical intent and the right time and place ray, which hits thru an emotion.

" Do I see a difference between magic done for practical purposes and high magic?"

A practical purpose can be an expression of high magic.

message 5: by Taylor (new)

An interesting definition of experimental magic. I'd say that's one type of experimental magic. Another type would be experimenting with a known technique and personalizing it, and changing it to see how you could improve on it.

I agree that a practical purpose can be an expression of high magic. I think that sometimes people create an artificial distinction between high magic and low magic (practical) because they buy into an artificial division of the spiritual and practical.

I'm enjoying our conversation

message 6: by Hilla (last edited Mar 25, 2013 11:38AM) (new)

Hilla Powell Bajwa (kalsoom) | 6 comments Ok, I get what you mean with personalizing a known model.

Let`s take R.J. Stewart`s Sphere of Art,a new development from him, which I personalize in a way, which is more powerfull for me. The power of the elements meet with the earth light from below, form the chalice with receives the fire from above. The vision we receive finally can be the a new sun, the burning water of alchemy or the heavenly child. For me it is more the burning water and later hopefull the heavenly child.

Another approach to experimental magic could be, to take a modern conscious model of our time now.

Here I will pick the challence of the "Spiral Dynamics" which was introduced around 1996. Here we find magic almost on the lowest level purple and it would be good to find out on what level we could place our modern magic.
You can find "The Spiral Dynamics" exlained in the net, but there is a deeper inside behind the few words of introduction.

message 7: by Hilla (new)

Hilla Powell Bajwa (kalsoom) | 6 comments Often in the training of a magic school they don`t want the pupils to work in low magic, like if you make your personal talisman to use it only for a spiritual purpose.

The practise for low magic in the training is important to see how it works. Like to try to put some movement in a slow buisiness day or support somebody in certain dealings, like finding a house or give a push to another house to be sold.
We can support somebody in sickness or after a car accident. That would be sure an act of high magic, done in a practical way.

message 8: by Taylor (new)

Hello Hilla,

Those are good examples of personalizing and experimenting with given techniques and concepts. I think its also useful to experiment with techniques from non-esoteric disciplines, which it looks liek you've done with the spiral dynamics.