Graphic Novel Reading Group discussion

Buddy Reads free comic books > Amazing Spider-Man #1 (spoilers)

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Geekgirl (new)

Geekgirl | 5 comments Just read the first issue and enjoyed it more than I expected, though I did find myself shouting in frustration at Jameson for him to grow up. is it my eyesight or in the second story is Peter called Peter Palmer.

Will be interesting to see how the character of Peter/Spiderman will develop through all the obvious adversities.

message 2: by Geekgirl (new)

Geekgirl | 5 comments Thanks for the heads up Scott else I might have headed for the opticians.

message 3: by Ashley (new)

Ashley | 21 comments Honestly have not read the whole thing but I do like the depth of the character so far... Tells the story with out saying everything leaves out just enough for the reader to want more........
Very good books so far thanks @NYKEN!!!!!!!

message 4: by Ross (new)

Ross Kitson (rossmkitson) | 23 comments I recall reading this reprint in a pocketbook 30years ago and loving it then. So first all a big thanks to NYKen for this great opportunity.
And those early Marvel letters pages are always great (I have an early FF comic, and the letters page is full of No-Prizes, and Why is Susan's foot drawn backward).

message 5: by Ross (new)

Ross Kitson (rossmkitson) | 23 comments Now, I can see why this comic took off in the Sixties. At the time there would have been Thor, Hulk and Fantastic Four. Certainly all had their angst and problems, that was what separated DC and Marvel at the time.
But Spiderman is wall to wall bad luck. Every move he makes reaffirms his unpopularity. His super powers are rarely the solution, rather the cause of many of his problems. And to adolescents and teens reading the book, thus must have felt very refreshing- a hero with the same anxieties as them.
And even Stan Lee's verbosity is slightly less in evidence here than in other books, although that may change as we head through the 60s.

message 6: by Ross (new)

Ross Kitson (rossmkitson) | 23 comments The story itself was a good start- his heroic acts are misrepresented, which fit into the flavour of the book to come. The Chameleon was an OK baddie, although obviously better are on the way.
Ditto's art suits the book to the ground. I can't imagine Kirby, with his chunkier style, doing as well here. The ganglier nerdier Parker, the depiction of Aunt May and J Jonah are iconic. I always enjoyed his stylistic parts- the view through a spider web, the faces floating in the air around him. Not sure if everyone would agree- but it works here, in quite a cinematic way.

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

I thought that this was a fun issue. It does a good job of introducing Jameson and his anti-Spiderman stance. You see Peter just doing his best to help people, only to be misunderstood. I enjoyed Spiderman trying to join the Fantastic 4, even if it has no influence on the main story. The Chameleon's a good villain, and I think he could be a really scary villain if done right in a movie. My favorite part of this issue was when Spiderman uses his webs as a slingshot to propel him towards the Chameleon's helicopter. It was perfect Silver- Age comic book awesomeness.
Also, what the hell was with Peter Palmer?!

message 8: by Dave (new)

Dave Glorioso | 111 comments I liked the introduction of Jameson.
Coinciding with the difficulty spidey will have with the people and media.
He will have a hard time joining a group as he is an emotional teen.
Johnny Storm has his family ties.
Otherwise, the FF may have given him the boot.
It's interesting that once again, he struggles with making the right decision.

I don't like the Chameleon
Evasive but not exciting or sinister
No emotional ties to Peter.
Maybe he knows the Peter Palmer guy?
Maybe the Chameleon is Peter Palmer imitating Peter Parker?
Maybe I should go to bed!

Dave

message 9: by Nicolo (last edited Mar 24, 2013 01:00AM) (new)

Nicolo (olokin) | 27 comments Not only does Spidey face his first villain, but we could two stories which seemed to prove that with his great power comes a lot of bad luck. Despite his self-sacrificing heroism, Spidey never gets a break as people see him as another publicity hound or worse, a villain.

It is almost surprising that he doesn't turn to the dark side. I guess the early readers were expecting him to go villain but it is good he persevered. If only I could tell him that things will get better in the future.

message 10: by Roger (new)

Roger Marquis This issue was an exciting premier. I liked the quick rehash of his origin. I really enjoy that he's trying to earn money for his aunt, and liked that he really considered going to the dark side haha.
He kind of came off less likable after approaching the ff with his air of self entitlement. I did like the their dismayed reaction when he left out the window brooding though.
The chameleon was a goofy villain in this issue, who obviously hasn't become the scary villain we all know now. I did like his arc for what it was though, and who he was at the time. Its simply outdated, but if I were to have read this when I was younger I would have thought it was still awesome.
J Jonah is a jerk as always, a huge one in this issue in particular.
Pete can come off as pompous but it's apart of the spidey persona I suppose. He becomes more likable as we continue.

message 11: by Rob (new)

Rob | 12 comments You can definitely see that Spider-Man is trying to find his footing as a stand alone hero in his own magazine. Sure there are some things that are a little rocky here but that is expected. I love all of these original Spider-Man comics and this one is no exception. I like the set up of Jameson, who will continue to be a thorn in Peter/Spider-Man's side. Chameleon and Fantastic 4 are enjoyable as always and it is interesting to see their set-up here.

message 12: by Jamie (new)

Jamie | 9 comments This was a cool start. I had never read any any of the original issues so this is the perfect opportunity. They did a great job creating an angsty Peter that you feel for. It is easy to see that teenage perspective showing throughout the story so far.
It seems more realistic with the adversity since the community doesn't welcome him with open arms. Much more real. we always like to push away the random good things that come out way as people.

message 13: by Dora (last edited Mar 25, 2013 02:08PM) (new)

Dora I've just entered the world of Marvel.
Now I finally know where do all the narrator's lines come from, and did anyone else notice the fashion?
The story is really simple, if there's a problem, Spiderman finds a solution, but I guess we can't expect more from a 10-pages-story...
This is my first encounter with comic book Spiderman, authors, Marvel, I have absolutely nothing to compare this issue to, please bare with me :)

message 14: by Catherine (new)

Catherine Is it me or is Spider-Man a little bit of a brat? When he broke into the Fantastic Four's place with all that attitude, I was a little bit put off. Hopefully that's just his teenager part of him and he'll mature a little in the coming issues. I love the ads and the little side stories in the Amazing Fantasy too, the mummy one was worth a few laughs. Can't wait to read number 2 now! :)

message 15: by Leesa (new)

Leesa (leesalogic) Oh no. :( My post got lost. Can't remember what I wrote originally, other than I think it's funny these are "magazine heroes."

I liked the first story more than the second one. The panel where the girl waves off Peter Parker for not going out could not be filled with more contempt! And the scene where Spidey runs out of Jameson's office window is a great pose and full of attitude.

I didn't like the second story (Peter Palmer?) as much as the first, but mostly because I didn't like the Chameleon telling us his every thought, anticipation, action, etc. Spidey showing off to the F4 seemed like something a new Super Hero might do, and it's building up his personality as a smart aleck (one of the reasons why I love Spidey).

message 16: by Ava (new)

Ava Brillat (ava_brillat) | 14 comments Dave wrote: "I liked the introduction of Jameson.
Coinciding with the difficulty spidey will have with the people and media.
He will have a hard time joining a group as he is an emotional teen.
Johnny Storm has..."

I agree with you, Dave. I like the depiction of Spider-Man as a 'Spider-Teen'. He's impetuous and a bit of a 'smart aleck' (as Leesa said). As I was reading, the writers pointed out that most other super heroes are adults. I can see the appeal of Spider-Man as something for the 'new gen' of readers coming up after the golden age of comics. I wonder what some of the older readers of the time thought of Spider-Man?

message 17: by Carol (new)

Carol | 6 comments Wow, its so different than what I expected. I really liked the fact that Spiderman was stuck in this place between trying to be a hero and maybe becoming a villain. It would've been cool to see that sort of struggle in the movies.

message 18: by Dave (new)

Dave Glorioso | 111 comments Here is some cool info from Chronicle

Steve Ditko modeled J Jonah Jameson after Stan Lee!
Hunched over a typewriter,
Tendency toward hyperbole, skill at manipulating the media, tight with the dollar.

Hulk wasn't selling well.
It was cancelled to make room for The Amazing Spider-Man.

Nuff said

message 19: by Adam (new)

Adam | 9 comments I was also a little thrown by the Peter Palmer in there. I guess it took a while for Stan Lee to realize that Peter Parker sounded better and would be sticking around for a long time. It's kind of interesting to see how unestablished he is as a character so far and that if the issues hadn't sold well we wouldn't be still talking about these stories today.

message 20: by Annice22 (new)

Annice22 | 25 comments I was a little behind in my reading but I'll post my opinion soon.

message 21: by Annice22 (last edited Apr 13, 2013 07:12AM) (new)

Annice22 | 25 comments Poor Peter, trying to raise some money for him and his aunt, he goes back into entertainment.

If only he had the hindsight to have had that check addressed to May Parker instead of Spider-Man. He could have mention that he recently caught the mugger who murdered Ben Parker and wanted to give the money to the widow.

It's not hard to feel bad for Peter when you have the worst journalist in the business going after him. J. Jonah Jameson is supposed to be non-biased but all he does is spend his time going after Spider-Man.

And it got worse after Spider-Man risked his life to save Jameson's son. Spider-Man should have been called a hero but Jameson turned it around and made it seem like Spidey manufactured the whole incident just for publicity and turned the mindless public against him.

---
The second story featured the Fantastic Four and was just as interesting as the first story. Like with most comics all five heroes start out fighting before the FF know the reason for Spidey to be at their residence.

The main focus of the second story was Spider-Man dealing with the Chameleon. Spidey had to stop the Chameleon who tried to frame him for stealing missile plans.

Another thing I found interesting was that Stan Lee made a mistake with Peter's last name. Peter Palmer, not very catchy, I'm glad it didn't stick.

Overall, I would say this was a good issue.