Nothing But Reading Challenges discussion

The Kingdom (Graveyard Queen #2)
This topic is about The Kingdom
Previous BRs - Authors; Q - T > Stevens, Amanda "The Kingdom" Start Date: April 28, 2013

Comments Showing 1-50 of 77 (77 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (last edited May 25, 2013 06:52PM) (new) - added it

Moderators of NBRC | 30934 comments Mod

This topic is open for discussion of The Kingdom. Be prepared for SPOILERS.

Synopsis:
Deep in the shadowy foothills of the Blue Ridge Mountains lies a dying town...…

My name is Amelia Gray. They call me The Graveyard Queen. I've been commissioned to restore an old cemetery in Asher Falls, South Carolina, but I'm coming to think I have another purpose here.

Why is there a cemetery at the bottom of Bell Lake? Why am I drawn time and again to a hidden grave I've discovered in the woods? Something is eating away at the soul of this town—this withering kingdom—and it will only be restored if I can uncover the truth

★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆

CHAPTER BREAKDOWN

Date Chapters Pages PPDQ’s
April 28th 1 - 6 1 - 54 Lisa Kay
April 29th 7 - 12 55 - 105 Lisa Kay
April 30th 13 - 17 106 - 163 Lisa Kay
May 1st 18 - 23 164 - 214 Lisa Kay
May 2nd 24 - 40 215 - 266 Lisa Kay
May 3rd 29 - 33 267 - 312
May 4th 34 - 40 313 - 376
EXPECT SPOILERS.

message 2: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new) - added it

Reserved.

message 3: by Mary (new) - added it

Mary (merinwe) | 1043 comments Ooooh! April's looking so busy for me and I don't know how I'm possibly going to be able to fit in all these buddy reads and BOMs, but I really want to read this book.

message 4: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new) - added it

We may do it in May, Mary.

Lára Yes! Just write here if you want to read it and when can you start, so we can plan.

I'd very much like if all of you, who wish to read it, could read with me The Kingdom, it's a great book! I'll even re-read it, which I almost never do. (;

Again, thanks Moderators of Nothing but Reading Challenges, for this thread!

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 15159 comments I definitely want to get to it, Lára. Just not sure when.

Laura (lglovett) | 1437 comments I am in for this one for sure.

message 8: by Lisarenee (new)

Lisarenee | 7659 comments I just reserved the books. It will be a bit till it comes in.

Nancy | 577 comments I just read this book a week or so ago! If you end up reading The Prophet I will definitely join in on that one!

Christine | 51 comments Nancy wrote: "I just read this book a week or so ago! If you end up reading The Prophet I will definitely join in on that one!"

The same for me!

message 11: by Kim (new)

Kim I would join in on this one.

Kristin | 840 comments I was able to get The Kingdom and The Prophet at my local used bookstore today!

Lára I saw The Prophet in my collection yesterday, AGAIN! and since this topic is not solved I have to ask again!

I remember Lisa Kay said she´s not sure when she can start, some said "yes" but nothing about start date (for The Kingdom), some said "yes" (for The Prophet)... okay, I´ll try this way:

if you´re "in", just answer the following questions, please!?

1. April or May (or december of 2024)?
2. "main" or "side" read?
3. couple of chapters per day/ per week or one chapter per day?

This doesn´t have to be TOO challenging, like more than three chapters per day (time consuming). We can read and discuss just ONE chapter per day, if you can´t read/discuss more. If may be even more challenging to read 1 chapter than 5 chapters! You can´t know until you try it!

I understand our "real" life is always in our ways, but please, don´t let it consume all of you time so you can read this book, before the Samhain of 2050. ):

I know I asked too many times about 2nd book in Graveyard Queen series, but I never got an answer to my question and I´m going to aks until you answer it! :D

I don´t have 3rd book just to watch its pretty cover! I want to read it, and before you say "you can" I have to say that I cannot. I want to discuss the 2nd one with you and I won´t be able to do this if I read the 3rd one! also, I´m not a "re-reading person". I read the book once and never again, unless it´s:

a) so bad that I don´t remeber I read it before, until I finish it for the 2nd time,
b) it is really good but not so good that I remember all of it.

If I read The Propher, I can´t guarantee I´ll read it again. (: The Kingdom is under b cathegory, at least for me, which means I´ll re-read it.
Sorry for repeating myself. I just want to know, this time for sure, when shall we read it. (So I can lock The Prophet until that particular month. It´s tempting me!)

Thank you!

(I´m glad you were able to get 2nd and 3rd book, Kristin!)

Sonia (darktalynn) | 10180 comments I like some of this ideas.

Just as curiosity, will you be able to resist reading one chapter a day from The Prophet too?

While there is no decision in sight, have you read The Abandoned? Is a prequel to the series, it only has 73 pages, but it could help the waiting.

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 15159 comments What do you mean by "main" or "side" read, Lára?

message 16: by Lára (last edited Mar 26, 2013 08:17AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lára Main - the book of the month
Side - not the book of the month but simply a buddy read that´s not on any of the lists or polls

Sonia, that´s why I said it could be more of a challenge to read one chapter than reading more than 5 chapters (; not time consuming, but definitely a challenge

I know it´s prequel, but since it came out after The Prophet, I´m not sure it would be wise to read it just now. Maybe it contains some spoilers from the Prophet as well?

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 15159 comments Ah. Well, a BOM has to be voted on, Lára, and the nominations and voting for April is long over with. So this is officially a "buddy read."

message 18: by Lára (last edited Mar 26, 2013 08:26AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lára Lisa Kay wrote: "Ah. Well, a BOM has to be voted on, Lára, and the nominations and voting for April is long over with. So this is officially a "buddy read.""

For April, yes. but for May? or any other month? I somehow asumed we won´t read it in April (or so it seems so far), so I just wanted to make sure what you prefer more. If main, I would nominate it so some may vote for it, some not (and if not a winner, I would read it alone), buddy read... well, not nominated, not on polls but people want to read it together so we read it as a side read, paralel with BOM and that way "rules" are different, like reading one chapter per day or 10 chapters per week or anything in between

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 15159 comments Lára, May's BOM noms have already gone to a poll vote, which will close March 31st.

I'm fine with starting it in April and reading one chapter at a time. Do you know, off-hand, how many chapters there are? I could look it up...but I'm doing multiple things on GRs right now.

Kristin | 840 comments There are 40 chapters but the last chapter is only 3 pages long. I wouldn't mind starting it in late April. I don't know how well I would do only reading a chapter a day though.

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 15159 comments Thanks, Kristin.

message 22: by Lára (last edited Mar 26, 2013 09:35AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lára I´m sorry, please just forget I said anything. I feel especially stupid after voting on May´ poll and forgeting that I voted and that´s almost over.

I shouldn't have persuaded this topic over again either. I´m going to shut up, I promise.

message 23: by Sonia (last edited Mar 27, 2013 06:55AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sonia (darktalynn) | 10180 comments Lára according with this amazon page: http://www.amazon.com/The-Abandoned-G..., The Abandoned was published before The Kingdom, so I believe it is spoiler free.

I also found out a review: http://darkfaerietales.com/review-aba... that shows the publication year as 2011

Lára Sonia wrote: "Lára according with this amazon page: http://www.amazon.com/The-Abandoned-G..., The Abandoned was published before The Kingdom, so I believe it is spoiler free.

I a..."

Fine. Might check it out.

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 15159 comments Is everyone ready to start this one tomorrow? I know I have the audio, but I haven't checked to see if I have the eBook. Can anyone do the chapter breakdown?

Lára, you still in?

Lára How are you planning to read it?

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 15159 comments I'm not sure what you mean, Lára? Do you mean by what media? Audiobook. But, I think I have the eBook.

Still, we need a "chapter breakdown" to post so everyone knows what section to read each day.

message 28: by Lára (last edited Apr 27, 2013 09:37AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lára Lisa Kay wrote: "I'm not sure what you mean, Lára? Do you mean by what media? Audiobook. But, I think I have the eBook.

Still, we need a "chapter breakdown" to post so everyone knows what section to read each day."

(: no. How are you (people) planning to read it in general: one chapter, 17% per day...? I know nothing except that we´re to start April 28th

message 29: by Lisa Kay (last edited Apr 27, 2013 09:59AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 15159 comments That is what looking at the "chapter breakdown" will determine. It depends on the length of each chapter. ☺

Usually we shoot for around 50 pages a day. Depends on the pace of the people interested. I usually post two options for "chapter breakdown."

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 15159 comments This is best down by looking at a "hardcopy" of the book. However, I can go by percent, if we can't find anyone with a paperback version.

message 31: by Lára (last edited Apr 27, 2013 09:56AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lára I though maybe you all already decided how´re you going to read it. That´s why I was asking over and over again of people to speak their minds, but nobody answered. ):

anyway, I´ve read the 3rd one (I´m not happy) and wheather I´ll join you on this one depends purely on how many per day/week we´ll read, so I´ll wait you people do the chapter breakdown

I have this one in e-format, unfortunately

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 15159 comments Ah! Okay.

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 15159 comments Well, as I said, I have this on audio. However, I can't get it to download to my Kindle for PC, so I can't get the chapter breakdown.

I'll have to check again tomorrow later today.

message 34: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new) - added it

Reading schedule is up.

message 35: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new) - added it

Asher Falls, Asher Reservoir, and Bell Lake are products of AS's imagination; however, here is some photography from the area.

Blue Ridge Escarpment: The Blue Ridge Mountains, cast in a blue haze at times, tumble down to lower elevations in northwestern South Carolina. The escarpment is the line where the mountains are visibly reduced to foothills.
[image error]

Table Rock Mountain - Blue Ridge Mountains - South Carolina

Blue Ridge Mountains Sunset - Lake Jocassee Gold by Dave Allen Photography, via Flickr

Kristin | 840 comments The Blue Ridge Mountains are one of my favorite places they are stunning! I will be starting this shortly. Trying to finish up another book before I open this one up.

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 15159 comments Great, Kristin!

message 38: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new) - added it

Spanish Moss in South Carolina

message 39: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new) - added it

Lisa Kay’s Questions for Chapters 1 – 6

1. What do you think about Asher Falls and Thorngate Cemetery? Do you feel the eerie atmosphere – or dark enchantment – as you read about it? Well, at least we know why the book is named “The Kingdom.”

2. What did you think of Thane Asher, the guy on the ferry? Did Amelia’s necklace really fall off? What vibs are Amelia picking up for him? Is he an alcoholic? Is he attracted to her; are his feeling sinister?

3. What is your first impression of Luna Kemper, Real Estate Agent extraordinaire? What about out Amelia’s tussle with her over Angus? How about the Daughter of our Valiant Heroes? Do you think there is more to the story about why Luna hired Amelia? Where does that second, narrow door in her office lead?

4. Does Sidra Birch have the ability to see ghosts, like Amelia? Who’s ghost was it the picture? Is she the same as the one by the Floyd Covey’s dock?

5. Why does Amelia feel something different with the dock ghost? Is it a result from her experience with the Others in the last book?

6. BOOK QUOTE: Is it really you? - Okay, what does THAT mean?

7. Do you think Floyd Covey’s house – having been a church –really is hallowed ground and protection from ghosts?

8. Who was the bizarre, creepy guy at the cemetery who slithered under the fence?

9. Who was in the library moaning with Luna – if it even was Luna?

10. Yikes! Chief Wayne Van Zandt! Now I’m freaked out he’ll hurt Angus. What are your thoughts?

message 40: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new) - added it

Père Lachaise Cemetery in Paris

Rossini

Grave of Chopin

Grave site of Edith Piaf

Tomb of Théodore Géricault (1791-1824)

[image error]

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 15159 comments Sonia was going to do the DQs, but she is having some computer, tablet, and Internet issues. I'm getting them together now... though, I might eat dinner first. ☺

message 42: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (last edited Apr 29, 2013 05:14PM) (new) - added it

Lisa Kay’s Questions for Chapters 7 – 12

11. Thoughts on Ivy? What’s with the tattoo on her ankle, one of the symbols carved into the cliff at the falls? Will that come into play later? What are people afraid of at “the thin place”?

12. BOOK QUOTE: Do you agree with the statement,
How can you know who you are if you don’t know where you come from?” Do you agree? Do you think there are exceptions?

13. Were you relieved that Sidra told Amelia about the old clock tower in the square being hallowed ground. Again, how would she know?

14. What is going on with Amelia’s sense of destiny? Or is it just familiarity? Do you believe in destiny?

15. Okay, I was more puzzled than freaked out over the blackbird hitting the windshield and the crows on the branches and power lines. Do you think Amelia will learn anything more about it from Catrice Hawthorne, the redheaded ornithologist at the party?

16. Do you have any guess as to whose twenty to thirty year-old unmarked grave that was up in the hill thicket? Who is keeping it up? Why did Amelia pass out after she traced her finger along the severed stem etched in the stone? What amorphous evil was causing that wind that chased her down the hill? Is that the real reason they brought Amelia to Asher Falls? To rid the place of “it”? (BTW, thank goodness for Angus, even if he did start it by running off!)

17. BOOK QUOTE: On a scale of 0-10, how strongly do you believe in what Amelia said,
“And those who pay tribute to the dead usually have a commensurate respect for life.” What do you think of Thane’s cryptic reply?

18. What were you impressions of the women at the dinner party? Who stood out the most? Luna, Bryn, Meris, Catrice, their conversation about Tilly Pattershaw? Is Sid’s mother, Bryn Birch, really a witch, as Ivy implied?

19. What about the men? Who stood out more? Hugh Asher, Pell Asher, Thane Asher? Are you, like Amelia, getting a different impression of Thane now?

20. BOOK QUOTE:
“You should make the time. Without the touchstone of family, one leads an imbalanced life.” True? False?

21. What about great-aunt Emelyn Asher, the Sleeping Bride? Could she be the ghost at the dock? In the unmarked grave on the mountain? Or did she pass away too long ago? Maybe it was Thane’s fiancée, Harper?

Kristin | 840 comments I am behind but I will try to catch up tomorrow and answer some questions :)

message 44: by Lára (last edited Apr 30, 2013 07:16AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lára Grave statues´s photos are simply beautiful. Stunning.

Last time when I visited cemetery I saw one tomb has a telephone next to the tombstone. A real one. Not sure whether it´s working

I´ll jump in from time to time, when you people start discussing. I´m curious about what you all think

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 15159 comments Kristin wrote: "I am behind but I will try to catch up tomorrow and answer some questions :)"

Not to worry, Kristin! Take your time. The Tower Teams May Read-a-Thon is in less than 24 hours. Eeep!

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 15159 comments Yes, they are gorgeous. I wouldn't mind going there, Lára. True works of art by European masters.

Kristin | 840 comments 1. Asher Falls sounds really creepy and an underwater town with cemetary adds to it. I don't like any water that isn't clear so the fact there are houses and bones floating under the water really gives me the jeebies.

2. At this point I am not sure what to think of Thane and what he does in town exactly. It is a good sign to me that he doesn't have ghosts following him around though.

3. I don't like Luna at this point. It seems she knows too much about Amelia so I think some other outside resource had to help. I was thinking the Daughters are some of ghost hunters and they are trying to see what Amelia's abilities are. I didn't even question the second door in her office. But I really like Angus and hope he gets to stick around Amelia needs somebody :)

4. It does seem like Sidra can see ghosts too. I don't think the ghost in the picture and the one are the dock are the same.

5. I think it is her experience with the Others and just her being around ghosts more especially since she made contact with Devlin's ghosts. If I saw ghosts I think I would be trying to do more than just ignore them like Amelia has been doing her whole life.

6. Maybe its her biological mother?

7. I hope it is for Amelia's sake but not sure I comprehend what makes something hallow ground.

8. I don't know who or what he was.

9. No idea and I am trying to figure out how could it be related.

10. I don't think he will hurt Angus but I don't think he likes a stranger coming in to his town and asking questions about cemetaries or dog fighting.

message 48: by Lára (last edited Apr 30, 2013 12:05PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lára Kristin wrote: "1. Asher Falls sounds really creepy and an underwater town with cemetary adds to it. I don't like any water that isn't clear so the fact there are houses and bones floating under the water really g..."

Asher Falls is a strange place, I have to agree with you, Kristin.
I, too, like Angus. He´s my favourite character in whole Graveyard Queen series, so far at least.

Oh and I have to admit I have a crush on Thane. (;

Kristin | 840 comments 11. I think "evil" spirits are what people are afraid of at the thin place. Ivy is mysterious and I am positive that the symbol and Ivy will come into play later on in the book. Especially since she obviously has a thing for Thane.

12. People say that a lot and I honestly I am not sure how I feel about. I think people can know who they are without knowing where they come from but then there are people who must know where they are from in order to know who they are. Probably depends on the person and their confidence within themselves.

13. At least Amelia knows somewhere with hallow ground and I am almost convinced that Sidra sees ghost also.

14. There is a reason why Amelia is feeling all of these things in Asher Falls compared to anywhere else but I am unsure is to why yet.

15. Didn't even think about her asking Catrice!! The bird scene was very strange!!

16. Whoa lot of questions here :) I think the grave is somehow related to the Ashers but unsure exactly who yet. I think Amelia was near the thin place maybe so that is why she she passed out. Good thing for Angus though! And considering that Pell Asher saw her and her dad working at the cemetary I am sure there is more to her being there then simply restoring the cemetary and I think it is a good possibility they brought Amelia there to get rid of "it"

17.I guess on a scale of 10 being strongly agree and a 0 being strongly disagree I am at 3-4. lol. I don't think just because someone respects the dead it also means they respect life. They may be doing it for a variety of reasons such as guilt.

18. I think Bryn stood out to me the most just because I can't figure out what is up with her. I don't think she is a literal witch but there is something about her that is off.

19. I think we got to hear about a little bit different side of Thane which makes me see him differently. I think Pell Asher stood out the most because of the fact that he knew Amelia as a child, even briefly, and that he brought up Harper to her.

20. Eh I am torn on this quote too. To me family is important but you can also make your own family. I don't have much to do with my biological father but yet I am very close to my stepdad who isn't my blood. I don't have any siblings but yet I describe my best friend and her children as my family. You can make your own it doesn't necessarily have to be blood as Pell Asher implied (at least to me).

21. I think the girl on the dock was Harper. I was thinking Harper could be the grave but yet it said it was 20-30 years old and I thought Thane was the same age as Amelia so that would be 27 so the timeline didn't fit. The Sleeping Bride thing is extra creepy to me. And sidenote: When I was pregnant, if we had a girl I wanted to name her Emelyn and my husband said it was too weird of a name and I made it up I am very happy to now prove to him that it is a real name because it is in a book!

Kristin | 840 comments Lára IS wrote: "Grave statues´s photos are simply beautiful. Stunning.

Last time when I visited cemetery I saw one tomb has a telephone next to the tombstone. A real one. Not sure whether it´s working

I´ll jump ..."

I agree that Thane is crush-worthy!

« previous 1