Ask Melina Marchetta - Tuesday, April 30th! discussion

Ask Melina!

Comments (showing 101-150 of 154) (154 new)    post a comment »

message 101: by Adela (new)

Adela Aliaga Yori (adela_89) | 1 comments Dear Melina,

I am one of your "older" fans and remember reading, re-reading and loving 'Looking for Alibrandi' as a teen. I still love that book and its corresponding movie. So my question is: Will you ever write a part 2 of Alibrandi and why or why not? The relationship between Josie and Jacob is not well resolved at the end of the book, which is what I would like to read about. Also, what about Josie's future as "hotshot" lawyer? I just feel that Josie's story has more to give and that her character has more to tell.

I also loved Saving Francesca, On the Jellicoe Road and The Piper's Son. Thank you for such great literature.

Best wishes,

message 102: by Yousra (new)

Yousra (yousra25) | 1 comments Hi Melina!

I hope you're doing well. I'm a huge admirer of yours so imagine how I felt when I received an invitation to join this group! :D

Your books are very well written. I love the sharp and witty dialogues and the way the characters snap at each other. Is this a depiction of what your interactions are like and are the characters replicated from real life?

Melina I would really appreciate some words of wisdom since I'm attempting to write stories. What inspires you to write and what do you think is the "it factor" that a lot of writers lack and get away with?
Your style of writing is so impressive and influential and I believe that you will gain the worldwide praise that you deserve very soon.

Please let us know if you have another book in the works.

P.S. my copy of Quintana is on its way and I can't wait to read the finale.

message 103: by Kelsey (new)

Kelsey (MrsKSchmidt) | 1 comments Hi Melina!
I am a fairly recent fan of yours, thanks to my friend and your superfan Taryn (who already posted a question on here - just had to give her the credit for discovering you). The Lumatere Chronicles have catapulted their way into my top ten...whenever I think of them or describe them to people, the word that most often pops into my head is "astonishing." These books astonish me in their creativity, depth, and character and plot development. I love your Francesca books, but these hold a special place in my heart. If I could just ask one question, I think it would be this:

The character of Froi surprised me a lot. When I finished reading Quintana of Charyn, I reflected that of any character in these books, he is the cornerstone. He is the heart of these novels - something I would have NEVER expected after reading Finnikin. How did this come about? When and how did you "discover" Froi and his story? Were you also surprised by his role in these books? Okay that's more than one question...but one idea :). Thanks so much Melina, for your beautiful writing and incredible insight into human nature.

message 104: by Vladyslava (last edited Apr 29, 2013 01:58PM) (new)

Vladyslava Korniyenko (nekoirish) | 1 comments Dobrogo dnya, Melina!
(as we say it in Ukrainian) or
Hello, Melina!
The books like yours make me incredibly happy that I know English so I am able to enjoy, experience and relive life-changing journeys of captivating, deep, emotional and oh-so-real characters you create. The worlds, peoples and individuals you bring to life through your books are not only extremely believable, vivid and passionately beautiful, they touch readers' hearts to such an extent that they make them (or it is better to say, us) stronger, brighter, warmer and overall better. You have this truly remarkable ability to show the whole picture of the world with its intricate and sometimes so complicated structure, history and relations not forgetting about the faces who form and influence it and so often decide its fate.

I will tell you a secret: I have never ever spilt any tears while reading a book before. Can you imagine my astonishment when I had to weep while reading the Lumatere Chronicles? And not because someone dies or something bad happens, but touched by the sheer beauty and rightfulness of the moment you describe, by the sincerity and bareness of the souls you write about. So thank you. I am convinced you hear it a lot. But still, thank you for ideas, emotions and inspirations.

And a little question I do hope no one have asked you yet:
If you were able to do it and could choose, whose dreams would you like to walk?:))

message 105: by Claire (new)

Claire M | 1 comments I loved your book "Saving Frencesca," and I was wondering what your inspiration was for the plot? Also, what are your hobbies beyond writing?

message 106: by Melina, Author of Quintana of Charyn (Lumatere Chronicles, #3) (new)

Melina Marchetta | 37 comments Mod
Online now, I think.

message 107: by Melina, Author of Quintana of Charyn (Lumatere Chronicles, #3) (new)

Claire wrote: "I loved your book "Saving Frencesca," and I was wondering what your inspiration was for the plot? Also, what are your hobbies beyond writing?"

Hi Claire, I was working at an all boys school at the time and felt very much in the minority being a woman, so that was part of the inspiration for Francesca. It's set very much in the area I've always lived in so by placing Francesca and her world there, I found it quite easy to begin ravelling her sense of place. Hobbies are watching film, learning French, travelling.
Best
M

message 108: by Melina, Author of Quintana of Charyn (Lumatere Chronicles, #3) (new)

Vladyslava wrote: "Dobrogo dnya, Melina!
(as we say it in Ukrainian) or
Hello, Melina!
The books like yours make me incredibly happy that I know English so I am able to enjoy, experience and relive life-changing jour..."

Thank you for your kind words. Hard question. I'd have to go with what Evanjalin says in that the best dreams to walk are those of children because they still have so much hope
Best
M.

message 109: by Deniz (new)

Deniz Melina wrote: "Online now, I think."

Hello!
Im a huge fan of your Lumatere Chronicles. Are you planning on writing anything else set in that world?
And what are publishing next?

message 110: by Melina, Author of Quintana of Charyn (Lumatere Chronicles, #3) (new)

Kelsey wrote: "Hi Melina!
I am a fairly recent fan of yours, thanks to my friend and your superfan Taryn (who already posted a question on here - just had to give her the credit for discovering you). The Lumater..."

Thank you. All good questions because Froi was my big surprise. So is Tom Mackee, but that's another thread. Froi was supposed to just be a tool for Evanjalin to show her smarts. "I'll trade this for that" mentality. But I had to remember that whatever he had tried to do, he was still a child and he kind of haunted me and I had to find a way of getting him back into the story. But still, Froi was not his own novel at that stage. Just a secondary character. And then those men lifted him on their shoulders and he had never seen the world from that high before and I knew there was more to him. And then I cheated again and used his Point of view because I needed an unreliable narrator telling the story of what happened between him, Evanjalin and the Priestking and from that chapter on, I knew I couldn't let him go. But I wanted a while after Finnikin was completed for Froi to come back to me with his own story. i always knew he wasn't a Lumateran. That's how it began.
Best
M

message 111: by Melina, Author of Quintana of Charyn (Lumatere Chronicles, #3) (new)

Yousra wrote: "Hi Melina!

I hope you're doing well. I'm a huge admirer of yours so imagine how I felt when I received an invitation to join this group! :D

Your books are very well written. I love the sharp and ..."

Sometimes the "it" factor is very hard to find or plan. Sometimes an idea is just an idea What I tend to do at the very beginning of a writing project where I know there is a character in my head, is that I just write every day. I write rubbish. I ramble. I write a whole lot of dialogue between characters. That becomes my planning. It's how I get to know my characters and their relationships. Most of my novels are character and relationship driven. I've recently started writing something that I thought was plot driven, and of course it's turned into characters and relationship driven. I stick to my strengths. With regards to dialogue, much of it is construct and much of it is the voice I have in my head.

message 112: by Lo (new)

Lo (DarkAlleyCookies) | 2 comments Hey Melina--

I haven't read your Lumatere series yet, but I've read a couple of your other books (like Jellicoe Road!) Just curious, what made you choose to give Tom his own book (The Piper's Son) from Saving Francesca instead of one of the other characters, like Tara Finke or Jimmy?

Your books are amazing.

Thanks!

message 113: by Melina, Author of Quintana of Charyn (Lumatere Chronicles, #3) (new)

Adela wrote: "Dear Melina,

I am one of your "older" fans and remember reading, re-reading and loving 'Looking for Alibrandi' as a teen. I still love that book and its corresponding movie. So my question is: Wil..."

Unfortunately, no. I'm almost sure that I will never write a sequel to Alibrandi. I think I would disappoint so many people if I did and I suppose in my head, I left the ending open so that everyone could bring their own ending into it. I always say that I did kind of write a sequel. Josie grows up to be a Mia from Saving Francesca. They have very similar traits. Jacob is very much like Robert, regardless of their cultural background. The Sydney novels are very close to my heart so I'm glad you share the same bond with them.
Best
M

message 114: by Devyani (new)

Devyani | 2 comments Hi, Melina! :) I just posted my questions again, you know, so that I could catch you since I just saw that you were online. I'm trying not to sound creepy but ah well.

I'm sure that by looking at the amount of messages that have accumulated here, you can see how we all appreciate what you do and throw at us. I've noticed that in all of your books, a message that comes across in every way is that of 'hope'. And apart from Francesca, The Lumatere Chronicles is the only series that you wrote.
1)So are there more series in the genre of fantasy waiting for us?
2)Or are there more series in general?

Note:Your writing style is marvellous and the way you connected the story of John of Charyn in Froi of Exiles and Quintana of Charyn, left me astounded. I've always wondered a bit about Grijo and Florenza and after stalking a lot of messages here, I see the hope for many short stories (I hope.) , so I really do hope that we get to read something about them as well. :)

3) So among Tom, Froi , Jonah , Will , Lucian and Finnikin (I wish to list out Perri and Arjuro too, but then the list may become just too long.) who do you think is that He-man? As in , if you were to ever go on a date who among these beautiful men would you go with? (I wouldn't blame you if it was hard for you to decide because they really are BEAUTIFUL.)

4)And you've written some really heart pounding reads. And I'm sure I had a coronary every once in a while , while reading Froi and Jelicoe, so according to you which book was the one you thought was the hardest to write?

In the end, I hope I did not sound like a lunatic, but this opportunity seemed too good to be true. I really do hope that you have a wonderful life and that your wonderful life keeps inspiring you to weave the kind of stories you usually do. Thank you so much for all your time and I really do hope that you visit India sometime. :)

message 115: by Louise (new)

Louise | 1 comments Hi Melina, I love your books.

I was wondering why you decided to bring back Tom Mackee instead of any other character? I'll admit that he wasn't a favourite of mine in Saving Francesca, but I did end up loving him in the end. Also, the Tom/Tara romance completely took me by surprise, but again, I ended up loving it. They're just so right for each other.

message 116: by Melina, Author of Quintana of Charyn (Lumatere Chronicles, #3) (new)

Lo♪ wrote: "Hey Melina--

I haven't read your Lumatere series yet, but I've read a couple of your other books (like Jellicoe Road!) Just curious, what made you choose to give Tom his own book (The Piper's Son)..."

Thank you. I think it's about who comes to me and bugs me and that was Tom and Georgie. I never planned a Francesca sequel when I finished that novel ten years ago, but I did think a lot about Will and also about Tara so I presumed they would be the characters. But Tom came along and I think he did, because I had written characters in other novels who reminded me a bit of him.
Best
M

message 117: by Melina, Author of Quintana of Charyn (Lumatere Chronicles, #3) (new)

Linna wrote: "Hi there Melina,

I have to say, I started off with a bit of a love/hate relationship with the first book I read of yours. I picked up Jellicoe Road one day at the library, and it frustrated me - I..."

Definitely Slytherin. I'd find a lot of stories to tell from that house.
I'm fascinated by the idea of reading Jellicoe backwards. It would probably make more sense to readers who can't get past the first 100 pages.
Best
M

Danielle (Love at First Page) | 2 comments Melina,
Can you give us any character/relationship details for the book your currently working on? :)

message 119: by Melina, Author of Quintana of Charyn (Lumatere Chronicles, #3) (new)

Danielle wrote: "Melina,
Can you give us any character/relationship details for the book your currently working on? :)"

It's the sort of novel that I pretend I'm not writing because it's not YA, it's not fantasy, it's not set in Australia which means it won't be published by those who publish me now, but I'm enjoying their company. Most of my novels are about young people where older people play a really important role in the the story, whereas this one is about older people, where younger people play a really important role in the story. That's probably all I can say at this point.
M

message 120: by Melina, Author of Quintana of Charyn (Lumatere Chronicles, #3) (new)

Louise wrote: "Hi Melina, I love your books.

I was wondering why you decided to bring back Tom Mackee instead of any other character? I'll admit that he wasn't a favourite of mine in Saving Francesca, but I did ..."

Tom was my dark horse from Francesca. He was supposed to be the bad guy in that story, but I ended up really caring about him. Years later I was watching a documentary about Vietnam Vets returning to Vietnam to bring home the bodies of soldiers left behind and I had a Tom epiphany and he wouldn't leave me alone
Best
M

message 121: by Melina, Author of Quintana of Charyn (Lumatere Chronicles, #3) (new)

Devyani wrote: "Hi, Melina! :) I just posted my questions again, you know, so that I could catch you since I just saw that you were online. I'm trying not to sound creepy but ah well.

I'm sure that by looking at ..."

Thank you, Devyani
Hmm. Where do I begin. I'm not planning any series for the time being. I will probably write another Lady Celie story and it will probably feature some of the characters from the trilogy. Florenza and Grij aren't on the horizon, but I do think of Olivier often. There's a lot to do with a character like him, so somewhere down the track he'll probably feature in a short story or novella. The problem with writing the chronicles, is that I don't get to write anything else at the same time because they are so big and require so much more work.

The Hardest novel to write emotionally was The Piper's Son. The hardest novel to write structurally was probably Froi of the Exiles.

Looking at your list of the guys, I've tried but I can't chose. I probably wouldn't chose Froi because in my head he's a boy and so is Jonah. But with the others, it's too hard. I'm going to go with Perri. I find him the sexiest.
Best
M

message 122: by Melina, Author of Quintana of Charyn (Lumatere Chronicles, #3) (new)

Deniz wrote: "Melina wrote: "Online now, I think."

Hello!
Im a huge fan of your Lumatere Chronicles. Are you planning on writing anything else set in that world?
And what are publishing next?"

I'm probably going to stick to writing a few short stories set in the world, but not an entire novel. I'm working on something now, but it's at a very early stage. Most of my focus is on the Jellicoe filmscript and a TV series.
Best
M

message 123: by Ess (new)

Ess | 1 comments Hi Melina,
Yes, i have emailed you before,and yes, i am kinda in History class writing to an author but being naughty and doing this instead, but I just have to say that I recently read Jellicoe road, and even more recently, the pipers son and I'm just so glad you write how you do, and that you wrote about Tom Mackee, even if you didn't have to, because I ended up loving him and georgie as much as I loved them in the first book.
Jellioce made me cry so much, it was just so beautiful. At the start, i'll admit I was unsure about it all, but as soon as I found my feet, I fell in love
thanks again,
esther

message 124: by Sam (new)

Sam | 2 comments Hey Melina,

I just got another question after reading the great gatsby article in the herald, i came up with this:

Did you base Looking For Alibrandi on your own life growing up in the Inner Western Suburbs.

Thanks,
Sam

message 125: by Emily (new)

Emily | 1 comments Hi Melina,

I first read Saving Francesca the summer before I started high school at a formerly all boys school. While I loved the book at the time and related to the chaotic Italian family, it didn't take on its full meaning for me until two years later when, to borrow your phrase, my family was depressed. That year Francesca helped me cope with everything from the major, (mental illness) to the trivial (boys thinking it was ok to fart in class). It was also the year Jellicoe came out in the US, and once again, I fell in love with a book. I've read all of your books multiple times (except for The Gorgon in the Gully--Please say it will be available in the US soon). Your writing is haunting, hilarious, and beautiful all at the same time and it reminds me why I love reading. So thank you for that and for continuing to churn out stories with heart. I'm going to stop gushing now and get to the questions :)

What is your editing process like? How many drafts do you normally write? Do you have a different aim with each draft or do you just keep revising until you're satisfied with it?

Your books are heavily influenced by music. Do you normally write with music on or listen to certain songs to get into the heads of different characters?

What's one question that you've never been asked but always wanted to answer?

Thanks so much for your time! Sending you awesomeness from Argentina!

message 126: by Arienn (last edited Apr 30, 2013 12:28AM) (new)

Arienn  | 5 comments Dear Melina,

Thank you.

Thank you for everything. Your books are the greatest I have every read! I can't begin to describe how much I love the Lumetere Chronicles. They have just become a part of my life now. I especially admire Froi. He is definetly the most heroic and awesome person I have come across, even though he is fictional:( I'd really like to know more about his childhood. What really made him the awesome person he is now?
Although I really love Froi, he's not my favourite. It's impossible to choose! I would really like to know more about the characters and what their lives are like years from now. What is the outcome of their efforts are for their children?
My main question is:
What or who inspired you to write this?

The characters are so admirable and amazing and beautiful...
Thank you for this book.
You won't believe how much it has changed my life.
Please keep writing:)

message 127: by Sicklecentaur7574 (new)

Sicklecentaur7574 | 1 comments Hi Melina! I have read Jellicoe Road, Francsesca, Alibrandi, and the lumatere chronicles (I hope to get my hands on the pipers son soon). On the Jellicoe Road is probably my favourite book by you,as it touched me more than most other books I have read, but I love all of your books. You are one of my favourite authors so thank you so much for everything you have written.

I have a few questions:
1. which book did you enjoy writing the most?
2. Which of your characters did you identify the most with
3. Which character did you find the most difficult to write?
4. What kind of books did you like to read as a kid, and do you think they influenced the way you write now?

Once again, thank you so much for all of your books. Keep on writing! :)

message 128: by Kathy (last edited Apr 30, 2013 08:24PM) (new)

Kathy (Kgalhorse) | 2 comments Hi Melina,
I've read all of the Lumatere Chronicles, Saving Francesca, Looking for Alibrandi and On the Jellicoe Road. I especially loved the Lumatere Chronicles.
I have some questions:
1. In Froi of the Exiles, did Arjuro know who Froi was from the moment they met, or did he realize who he was after Froi's cover as the lastborn was blown?
2. Will Japhra and Rafuel ever meet again?
3. How do you come up with the plotlines and characters for your novels?
4. What are your thoughts on fanfiction?
Thanks,
Kathy.

message 129: by Iris (new)

Iris | 1 comments Dear Mrs. Marchetta,
This is so exciting! First of all, I appreciate you taking the time to read this. I love the Lumatere Chronicles, and after hearing such wonderful things about On the Jellicoe Road, I will have to start reading it soon.
1. Finnikin of the Rock has become one of my favorite books. My mom promised that we can go to the bookstore soon so I can finally get my hands on a copy of Quintana of Charyn. Will the series continue with a fourth book?
2. After Froi of the Exiles, the characters grabbed my attention even more. The stories of the hardships that Froi endured were captivating, and I am also wondering what Finnikin and Isaboe’s lives were like after Balthazar’s death and preceding the first book.Would you ever consider writing a prequel book/series?
3. I just want to say that you are an amazing author and I love your writing style! The Lumatere Chronicles are so organized with plot and characters. The story is so realistic even though it is a different world, and I feel that there are even some things that parallel reality. Thank you for everything!

message 130: by Carina (last edited Apr 30, 2013 10:01AM) (new)

Carina Olsen (carinabooks) | 1 comments Hi Melina. <3 I'm a huge fan of yours from Norway. Love the Lumatere Chronicles so much :D But then I read On the Jellicoe Road. And there aren't many books that I love more than that one. Jonah and Taylor have a special place in my heart. I was just wondering if you might write more about them? Because I'm dying to know what happens next between them :) I just don't want their story to be over. <3 Also, the movie, will the ending be different; more or less? :) Thank you. <3 (Hope it's okay that I didn't ask about Quintana, because I have read it, and I loved every part of it, and to be honest I don't wonder about anything from it. <3 because it was just that perfect.)
Love, Carina

message 131: by Carlin (last edited Apr 30, 2013 10:28AM) (new)

Carlin (Nocturnowl) | 1 comments Hi!

I am a massive fan! When I saw that you'd be on goodreads today, I sat down and read through every book you've written that I hadn't yet had a chance to read (the only one left was Looking for Alibrandi, to be honest, since Quintana wasn't yet out). Then, I went off to save Francesca one more time, and of course couldn't stop without revisiting The Piper's Son.

Although fantasy has been my favorite genre since childhood, and your three books are fantastic, it is your contemporary young adult novels which haunt me. The tears pour down my face, and sometimes I am still crying when I break out in hysterical laughter. Your writing makes my soul ache, but it's the kind of ache that comes from growth, and I love it.

I think On The Jellicoe Road is a masterpiece that demonstrates to all who read it the full range of that genre. Thank you so much for writing it. I'm very curious to see the film, and it was fascinating to hear from you about how you've gone about adapting it to a script. But it's the cast from the Saving Francesca and The Piper's Son universe that I cannot let go of.

Please tell me: Are we ever going to get the chance to know Jimmy Hailler the way we know Francesca and Thomas? He's been my favorite since the minute he joined them in detention just to hang out with them.

EDIT: *Sorry! I see that you answered this already, but I'm leaving it, so you can see how many people love him and yearn to get to know him :) *

Replacement Question: What was the most influential novel you read as a young adult?

Thank you for every word you write,

Carlin

message 132: by [deleted user] (new)

Hi Melina,

First of all, I'm sure you've heard it all before, but I'm a huge fan of Jellicoe Road — it moved me in so many ways that other books have generally failed to do recently. I absolutely can't wait to read your other novels. Thank you for taking the time not only to answer our questions today, but also for creating your wonderful worlds and characters for us to immerse ourselves in.

I was wondering about the genesis of Taylor in Jellicoe. Initially she's not a very likeable character, and I think that's quite an unusual thing in YA fiction. Is Taylor based on anyone you know, or she an amalgamation of different characteristics of your friends and family?

Also, what I find even more unusual is that Taylor is not only an unlikeable character initially, but she's an unlikeable female. There is a lot of pressure on girls to be polite, courteous and likeable, and I think sometimes female protagonists and characters who go against this pressure are criticised for it (e.g. Katniss of The Hunger Games). Was Taylor always going to be stubborn and hot-headed, or did you make a conscious decision to go against the expectations of how a female should behave?

Thanks again, Melina, for taking the time to share with us today!

Nikki

message 133: by Annie (new)

Annie | 2 comments Hi Melina,
Your books are some of my all time favorites, and I cant wait to read something new of yours. I havent finished Quintana yet,Im trying to drag it out so that I'll never have to finish it. Anywho, have you ever thought of writing about Vestie as an adult? Would her bond with Isaboe change? How will she be a part of Lumatere in the future? These are just some of the things I was thinking about and I decided to share them with you.

From,
Annie (thank you and cant wait to read more of your upcoming books)

message 134: by Rafaella (new)

Rafaella | 1 comments Hello,
Will you be writing any books anytime soon? Also what do you think you would like to write about next?

Thank You!

message 135: by Cat (new)

Cat | 1 comments Hi Melina!

Just to let you know, I'm Caitlin Devery, Pat's niece! We've met a few times, I'm not sure if you remember but I certainly do:) You came to school and did a talk for us.

I've heard that On The Jellicoe Road is perhaps going to be made into a movie!? I hope so! I would love to see it!

message 136: by [deleted user] (new)

Hi Melina,
So far I've read all of your novels (except Gorgon in the Gully)and I intend to read Ferragost as soon as I get my hands on it as I loved the Lumatere Chronicles. On the Jellicoe Road is probably my favourite. I felt very touched by it, it also made me cry a lot, something I quite like in books. Thank you so much for all you've written, you're one of my favourite authors.

ALIBRANDI SPOILERS BELOW...

I've also seen the film adaption of Looking for Alibrandi, I noticed that there were a few characters not present in the films and that some of the chronology was changed from book to flim, specifically John Barton's suicide. Were there reasons for these changes?

Once again, thank you very much for all of your wonderful novels, I love them.
Keep writing!

message 137: by Leigh (new)

Leigh (Lbookworm) | 1 comments Hello Melina Marchetta!

It feels kind of surreal adding to this group discussion, but I am a HUGE fan of your books!! My favorite book being Jellicoe Road (it ruined all other books I tried reading in the days after finishing it) and I was so excited when I heard about Jellicoe Road being turned into a film!! The location pictures on your site look amazing. Please keep posting info about the developments!! My favorite characters out of all your books have to be Ben from Jellicoe Road, Jimmy and Thomas from Saving Francesca, and Ned from The Pipers Son! I'm dying to know about Jimmy (his absence in The Piper's Son was duly noted). Your writing is such an inspiration--please never stop!

message 138: by Melina, Author of Quintana of Charyn (Lumatere Chronicles, #3) (new)

Becky wrote: "Hi Melina,
So far I've read all of your novels (except Gorgon in the Gully)and I intend to read Ferragost as soon as I get my hands on it as I loved the Lumatere Chronicles. On the Jellicoe Road i..."

Thanks Becky. If you're a fan of Jellicoe you may actually enjoy Gorgon because Danny Griggs is Jonah's younger brother.

With regards to Alibrandi the novel versus the film, they are such completely different mediums and more than anything, if I had to adapt a film word for word, including all the characters and everything in order, it would end up being a 10 part mini series. So something has to give. I was told to cut down some of the girls at school because there were too many to concentrate on. It's tricky, but as a scriptwriter you try to find a balance.

message 139: by Melina, Author of Quintana of Charyn (Lumatere Chronicles, #3) (new)

Cat wrote: "Hi Melina!

Just to let you know, I'm Caitlin Devery, Pat's niece! We've met a few times, I'm not sure if you remember but I certainly do:) You came to school and did a talk for us.

I've heard th..."

Hi Caitlin. Of course I remember you. I saw Annabel during the holidays when she was in Sydney. Say hi to the Cowra mob for me.

message 140: by Melina, Author of Quintana of Charyn (Lumatere Chronicles, #3) (new)

Leigh wrote: "Hello Melina Marchetta!

It feels kind of surreal adding to this group discussion, but I am a HUGE fan of your books!! My favorite book being Jellicoe Road (it ruined all other books I tried readin..."

Thank you. I'm glad Ned and Ben made the favourite lists. I had a lot of fun writing them.

message 141: by Arrietty (new)

Arrietty | 2 comments Hey Melina :) when you were writing Froi, how much did you know about what was going to happen in Quintanna? Do your characters surprise you a lot? Lots of love xx

message 142: by Melina, Author of Quintana of Charyn (Lumatere Chronicles, #3) (new)

Annie wrote: "Hi Melina,
Your books are some of my all time favorites, and I cant wait to read something new of yours. I havent finished Quintana yet,Im trying to drag it out so that I'll never have to finish..."

No plans in the near future to write about Vestie, but probably a bit more about Lady Celie.

message 143: by Arienn (new)

Arienn  | 5 comments Hello Melina,

I am currently rereading froi of the exiles for the third time! I can't get enough of it. I absolutely love the lumetere chronicles. I admire froi so much. I would really like to know more about what made these characters turn out to be so awesome. I would really like to know more about their childhoods and how you came up witht such inspirational characters. What inspired you? Thanks you for these books:)

message 144: by Melina, Author of Quintana of Charyn (Lumatere Chronicles, #3) (new)

Rafaella wrote: "Hello,
Will you be writing any books anytime soon? Also what do you think you would like to write about next?

Thank You!"

I'm concentrating on trying to get a TV series off the ground for the time being so if we end up getting development money for that, I'll probably be working on it for the rest of the year.

message 145: by Melina, Author of Quintana of Charyn (Lumatere Chronicles, #3) (new)

Nikki (The Paper Sea) wrote: "Hi Melina,

First of all, I'm sure you've heard it all before, but I'm a huge fan of Jellicoe Road — it moved me in so many ways that other books have generally failed to do recently. I absolutely..."

Thanks Nikki. It's hard for me to answer that because I loved Taylor from the beginning but I can understand how she comes across to a reader who doesn't know absolutely everything about her from like I did. I like prickly girls because I'm probably a bit of one myself and I also like watching films and reading novels where the characters are flawed and real. Sometimes I run the risk of losing a reader by presenting the character in a less than sympathetic way, but I'm always happy to know that some readers persist. I tried to imagine how somehow who has been damaged by trust and life experiences, would act.

message 146: by Arienn (new)

Arienn  | 5 comments Please please please reply:)

message 147: by Melina, Author of Quintana of Charyn (Lumatere Chronicles, #3) (new)

CJ wrote: "Hi!

I am a massive fan! When I saw that you'd be on goodreads today, I sat down and read through every book you've written that I hadn't yet had a chance to read (the only one left was Looking for..."

Yes, Jimmy does come up a lot. I promise he's there. I just don't want to force him out yet. Thank you for your kind words. I'm not sure whether I'd say they were the most influential, but my favourites growing up were Anne of Green Gables and an Australian novel called Hills End by Ivan Southall.

message 148: by Melina, Author of Quintana of Charyn (Lumatere Chronicles, #3) (new)

Carina wrote: "Hi Melina. <3 I'm a huge fan of yours from Norway. Love the Lumatere Chronicles so much :D But then I read On the Jellicoe Road. And there aren't many books that I love more than that one. Jonah an..."

I certainly know you're Carina from Norway. I think Jellicoe will be published there so you'll have to tell me how well translated it is. I'm always curious about translations. The Jellicoe film ending is pretty similar to the novel. I honestly think that people who loved the novel will love the script. The biggest change was having to leave out a lot of the Sydney stuff at the end. As I was saying in another post, if I included everything it would be a very long film.

message 149: by Melina, Author of Quintana of Charyn (Lumatere Chronicles, #3) (new)

Mowgli wrote: "Dear Mrs. Marchetta,
This is so exciting! First of all, I appreciate you taking the time to read this. I love the Lumatere Chronicles, and after hearing such wonderful things about On the Jellicoe..."

Thank you. I think it would break my heart a bit to revisit the Balthazar stuff. At this point there is no book 4, but after finishing Finnikin I didn't really think there'd be two more books so who knows. I'll probably concentrate on more short stories about Lady Celie and hopefully I'll be including some of the main characters of the trilogy in those stories. I miss all the characters. One day I'd probably like to write a short story about what happened between Beatriss and Tesadora during those ten years of the curse.

message 150: by Arienn (new)

Arienn  | 5 comments Dear Melina, how did you come up with such inspirational characters? Each character is absolutely amazing i cannot begin to describe how much i admire them, and i much i admire your work. Thank you so much.

Ask Melina Marchetta - Tuesday, April 30th!

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Gorgon in the Gully (other topics)