Ask Melina Marchetta - Tuesday, April 30th! discussion

Ask Melina!

Comments Showing 1-50 of 153 (153 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4

message 1: by Margo (new)

Margo (maothrockmorton) | 1 comments Mod
Welcome to the group! Melina will be answering questions on Tuesday, April 30th in this thread only. In the meantime if you have a question for Melina or just want to introduce yourself feel free to do so in this thread.

message 2: by Beth (new)

Beth (bethorne) | 1 comments Hey, Melina!!
Thanks so much for taking time to answer questions from us. Here are mine.

1. I recently watched the film adaptation of Looking for Alibrandi, and with the Jellicoe movie news, it made me wonder: what are the biggest differences in writing a screenplay based on your novel versus writing a novella or a new novel set in the same world?

2. Also, are you still hearing a bit of Jimmy in your head? I re-read Francesca last week with some friends, and recalled how much I loved his strong presence in that book. Will we see his story?

message 3: by Ellie (new)

Ellie | 1 comments Hi Melina!
I love the Lumatere chronicles! And I was wondering how you actually pronounce the word Lumatere because in my head I've pronounced it much differently from the way I've heard others say it.
Did you base any of the characters on real people you know or even characters from other books that you enjoyed or felt inspired by? I find the way you create and develop characters quite amazing. Especially Gargarin and Arjuro, I really felt these were very strong and wise characters.
The last thing I wanted to know is what books or authors are your favourite? Your one of my favourites so I would love to know who yours are.

message 4: by F.J. (last edited Apr 02, 2013 04:24AM) (new)

F.J. | 1 comments Dear Melina,
You are my favourite author and though I love all your books, Froi of The Exiles and Quintana of Charyn are my favourite. Thank you so much for taking time to answer our questions, I think this means a lot to all of us.
1) Despite the Celie short stories, do you think you will ever return to Lumatere? I'm really curious if you ever thought about writing about the children.
2) Will you ever come to England or Germany? I'm studying Creative Writing in Bath, England, and you could tell us so many things about the writing process and your job.
and my last question 3) If you're afraid to start to write or open the writing document (if something like this happens to you) what do you do?

Please continue Jimmy's story. I missed him in The Piper's Son.
Stay the way you are and I wish you many, many years of writing and luck to come.

message 5: by Emily (new)

Emily (emikate95) | 1 comments Melina, I'm a big fan of all your books, they are all amazing.
Are you going to be doing anymore book signings in the Sydney area in the coming months? I was going to go last year to the one in Glebe but the website I saw the information on had the wrong date, so I missed it.
Also, I hope all is going well for the On the Jellicoe Road movie! It makes me so excited to hear about a movie, you have no idea. Do you know when filming will be starting? Or anything about being an extra?
What book/s are you working on at the moment?
Also my friend Emma and I run a tumblr dedicated to your books (http://boarders-townies-cadets.tumblr...)
Thanks for your great books, and I hope I get to meet you someday soon.

message 6: by Kristin (new)

Kristin (kcasale78) | 1 comments Hello! I work in a public library in Cleveland, Ohio and frequently recommend your books to teens (and adults). I came across your work, because Jellicoe Road was on a graduate class reading list of youth literature award winners, and have been reading your work since.

Regarding Quintana, can you describe the genesis of the character? How did she come to you when you first conceived her? She's highly complex. Did you always know she would be expressed with the personality she had, or did she change drastically throughout the course of writing the series?

Thanks!

message 7: by Kritika (new)

Kritika (spidersilksnowflakes) I have read many of your books, and it never ceases to amaze me with how well you take such ugly situations (prejudice, loss, broken families) and turn them into such beautiful, hopeful stories. I found this to be especially true in the Lumatere chronicles. Is there any specific instance or experience you have had that helps you bring out the hope in all your stories? What motivates you to grapple with messy relationships and hard circumstances in your novels?
Specifically about Quintana, what inspired you to create Quintana's eccentric character?

message 8: by Claudia (new)

Claudia Hi Melina,
It's not very original but I just wanted to start with you are my absolute favourite author and I demand everyone to read your books.

Firstly, I know all authors are a little bit different when it comes to planning novels - from the idea to the plot outlining and then putting pen to paper. How do you take an idea and make a wonderful novel with such an intricately woven plot?

Can we get a little hypothetical? If one character of your choice was taken out of each of your novels and dumped into a small place together, what sort of interactions would occur?

Thanks for making my heart stop repeatedly whilst reading your books!
Claudia

message 9: by Sophie (new)

Sophie | 1 comments I'm sorry, I know this is only supposed to be about Quintana of the Charyn but I have to know. What's the latest news you can tell us on the Jelicoe movie?? Any casting/location etc news? I love all your books by the way! your favourite author ever! I can't even begin to describe the affects you books have on me and my life! Xxo

message 10: by [deleted user] (last edited Apr 12, 2013 04:46AM) (new)

hey Melina, I wanted to ask a bit of a general question but it also involves Quintana:
Q: Do you ever represent yourself in any of your novels? In the Lumatere Chronicles or any other of your books. Or do you much prefer to keep yourself out of your novels?
A part of me is convinced Miss Quinn is supposed to be you in Saving Francesca.
I sincerely mean it when I say thanks so much for every book you've written and released, I never get tired of reading your novels :)

message 11: by Joie (new)

Joie (joyintranslation) | 1 comments Hi Melina,
First off, can I just say how utterly in love I am with your stories? Each one never fails to leave me a bit of an emotional wreck each time I read them- and yes, strangely enough, I really do enjoy that.

Secondly, most of your novels have been contemporary, so was it hard to create the world of Lumatere from scratch, with its various kingdoms and customs? Do you prefer writing contemporary or fantasy?

Thirdly, (this might have been mentioned above), but is Jimmy's voice still in your head? Because (and I think I speak for most of your readers when I say that) a Jimmy book might just make my heart burst with happiness.

Thank you so much for sharing your wonderful stories with the world! I can't even find the words to describe how much they mean to me.

message 12: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Lim (jenniferlim) | 1 comments Hi Melina,

Let me say first that you are one amazing writer! You definitely deserve all your awards.

Here are my questions:
1. Are your characters and character relationships based on people you actually know?
2. Do you insert a little bit of yourself in your characters?
3. What other kinds of genres are you planning to write? You make it appear that it's easy to jump from contemporary to fantasy. It's like you were made to write both!
4. Can you recommend to us books that have the same feel as your contemporaries and Lumatere Chronicles? Authors that gave me similar feels as yours were Vikki Wakefield, Laura Buzo, Megan Whalen Turner and Lois McMaster Bujold.
5. How does it feel to be an award winning author? :)

I also agree with the Jimmy topic, but no pressure. :)

Thanks so much for your words, Melina!

message 13: by Melina, Author of Quintana of Charyn (Lumatere Chronicles, #3) (new)

Melina Marchetta | 37 comments Mod
Hi Kenny
I'll start with three favourite animals.
Dogs. Dogs. And Dogs.
or to be fair to the rest of the animal kingdom, Dogs. Horses. Dolphins. The why is because I have a dog who will be 14 years old this year so he has been very much part of my life.

With regards to your first question, most of the time I think my characters do reflect my world view, such as Georgie Finch in The Piper's Son as well as Tara Finke. When I was a younger writer, I think I found it more difficult not to put my thoughts into my characters' mouths. When I wrote my first novel, Looking For Alibrandi, Josie reflected my view of the world. I was a couple of years older than her. Whereas now I'd say we'd have very different views.

message 14: by Melina, Author of Quintana of Charyn (Lumatere Chronicles, #3) (new)

Hi Beth, yes I'm still hearing Jimmy but I'm concentrating on a few other projects for the time being. I doubt he'll go away.

Adaptation is tricky because you need to really put aside the novel once your start writing a film script, and you have to stop writing the script for the audience of the novel. That's pretty hard. Most of the people who read the filmscript for finance reasons haven't read the novel so they won't understand what's not on the page which, in the case of Jellicoe, is Taylor's internal voice speaking to the reader. I don't use voice over in the script, so it has to be all there on the screen. That's been the biggest challenge.

My rule is to pretty much include the important aspects of the novel which doesn't necessarily mean the important scenes. For Jellicoe, the important aspects are Taylor and Jonah's history; The territory wars; Taylor discovering the story of the kids in the past and Taylor realizing what they all have to do with her life. If I honour their place in the script, than the audience of the novel shouldn't care what I change. I'm frightened to go back to the novel now that the script is ready to go because I know I will find pieces of dialogue and sentiments that I'll want to include, but I'll also know they have no place in the script.

message 15: by Melina, Author of Quintana of Charyn (Lumatere Chronicles, #3) (new)

Hi Ellie
I pronounce Lumatere as Luma, that sounds like Luna, and tere that sounds like (bear). I suppose Loomatair. I hope that's clear.

I'm glad you liked Gargarin and Arjuro. I loved writing them so much. They'are amongst my favourite as well. A funny story about the name Arjuro is that his name was Arturo for a long time and one day I was reading through my draft and realized I had a typo Artjuro, and that's how he got his name. A lot of the people I'm drawn to have a tiny bit of a cynical sense of humour, including myself, so that sort of cynicism and humour obviously found a place in both those characters.

I've said often that my favourite books are Megan Turner Whalen's Attolia series.

message 16: by Nolia (new)

Nolia Novels & Notes Reviews (NovelsAndNotesReviews) | 1 comments This isn't a question but I just want to say you're an amazing writer & one of my favorites!

message 17: by Melina, Author of Quintana of Charyn (Lumatere Chronicles, #3) (new)

Thank you FJ.
I will be coming to England in June, but not to Bath (which I love and have been to before). I'm not well known in England or published there but if I was ever invited by a university to speak, I would certainly do so.

I'm not sure if I'd write about the characters from the Lumatere Chronicles again for a while except for short stories. Only because when I get into their world, it's a big world and it has to come with a big story.

I'm always reluctant to start the writing process and I spend days and weeks and months thinking the story and writing it in my head and that's all well and good, but it's not on the page. So I open a document, give it a name and force myself to write anything and I make sure I write every day. What happens most times is that I'm able to get onto a track and find that half of what I wrote the day before is not that bad.

Jimmy's not going anywhere, but it's just not his time yet. All I know about him is that he is the first of Frankie gang to start breeding (accidently).

message 18: by Georgia (last edited Apr 26, 2013 12:22PM) (new)

Georgia | 1 comments Hi Melina,

Could you tell me a bit more about Tara Finke? She's one of my favourite characters, I'd love to know more about her.

What did The Saving Francesca gang get up to between SF and The Piper's Son?

And finally,

Where do you see Tom, Tara and the rest of them now?

Thanks for answering :) I love your books, and so does my Nonna.

Danielle (Love at First Page) | 2 comments Hi Melina,
Thank you for answering our questions. :)
I must preface by saying I'm possibly the biggest romantic on the planet, so the love story aspect is what I always respond to the most in what I read. You've written some of my very favorite couples, and their romances have always touched me deeply. And no love triangles! With that in mind...
1) Which is your favorite couple that you've written?
2) I know you're a huge fan of Gen and Irene (me too!); what other couples outside of your own work do you love?
3) With the Lumatere Chronicles being a trilogy, it's nice that we get a sense of closure for the characters and their love lives. When you think about their future, do you see Tom and Tara, Frankie and Will, and Taylor and Jonah married? :)

message 20: by Elliebit (new)

Elliebit | 1 comments Joie wrote: "Hi Melina,
First off, can I just say how utterly in love I am with your stories? Each one never fails to leave me a bit of an emotional wreck each time I read them- and yes, strangely enough, I rea..."

Seconded!

message 21: by Catherine (new)

Catherine (HiJacka) | 1 comments Hi Melina
My question is related to the context of our times and your novel 'looking for alibrandi'. My school recently removed the novel from our book list due to the issue of suicide. In no way does the novel promote or idealise self harm or suicide, so my question is this:
Given the pressures on young people today, how would you argue the importance of discussing issues, such as the characters experience, are vital tools in building aware and resilient teenagers? Is there any validity, in your opinion, in sheltering young people from the issue of suicide in fiction?

I loved teaching your novel and enjoy all your work. Congratulations on an excellent career, I eagerly await more of your work.
Cate

message 22: by Jordy (last edited Apr 19, 2013 05:41PM) (new)

Jordy (JordyBrianna) | 1 comments Hi Melina

I am a big fan of your novels, particularly Finnikin of the Rock. Thank you so much for taking the time to answer our questions. I absolutely love to write myself and was just curious as to what your number one tip would be for writing a successful novel?

I was also curious as to:

a) What is your favourite genre?

b) What do you believe is the most important aspect of a novel?

Thank you so much,

Jordan

message 23: by Emily (last edited Apr 19, 2013 05:23PM) (new)

Emily | 1 comments Hi Melina!

I'm a big fan of the Lumatere series. Your characters and world-building are just fantastic. I've started drawing up plans for a YA fantasy novel, and I'm curious how you kept your plot straight. Did you make an outline/timeline? Did you plan out every event? I really admired how you managed pacing and foreshadowing:D

EDIT: It seems you already answered a similar question;) Disregard this!

message 24: by Johanna (new)

Johanna (jo_guinz) | 1 comments Hi Melina,

I'm really interested by your writing style, and I think you're a brilliant author.
My question is why did you choose to be a writer? Obviously you love writing,
but was it difficult choosing a career that may not necessarily ever take off?

Thanks heaps,
Johanna

message 25: by Mary (new)

Mary McCarthy (mccakm) | 1 comments Hi Melina,
First of all, I would just like to say how much I love your work. The amount of times I have re-read your stories is a number I couldn't count on my hands. Even if I had more than 10 pairs. Jellicoe has been my absolute favourite book of all time. So thank you, both for you books and your time now!
So, as for the questions:
Is there a particular sentiment/idea/feeling that you want readers to take from your works? Each one evokes different emotions in me, but I wonder if you consciously think to yourself "this is what I want my readers to take from (insert title here)".
Secondly, what have been your all-time favourite novels?
Thirdly, was there a particular place in mind when you thought of the Jellicoe Road?
And finally, will there be an upcoming literary event/book signing in Melbourne?
Thank you so much again.

message 26: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 1 comments Hi Melina,

thank you for taking the time to join this group in discussion. And thank you for writing books which have blessed my life.

I have two questions for you ...

1. Is there any chance of ever getting a story about Hannah and the Brigadier? For various reasons they are my two favourite characters in all I have ever read, and I often imagine what their future lives would be like, especially if Hannah had a child.

2. Have you ever considered visiting New Zealand?

Again thanks :-)

message 27: by Alex (new)

Alex (delaca) | 1 comments Hi Melina,
I love your books! They got me through a torturous term in English last year when my teacher said I could read them instead of studying the same book as everyone else. So thank you.

JK Rowling says that Harry Potter 'simply fell into [her] head'. Did you experience something similar when first writing Finnikin?

Secondly,what are your top 3 favourite books?

And lastly, when are you coming to speak in Melbourne? Do you know if you are speaking at the Melburne Writer's Festival?

Thanks for taking the time to read and answer this,
Alex

message 28: by h.e.yoseph (new)

h.e.yoseph (heyoseph) Hey Melina,

Thanks so much for writing the Lumatere chronicles. Finnikin of the Rock stands as one of my favourite books ever ! I was wondering if you were planning on touring in Canada, specifically Toronto any time soon?

And what inspired you to write On the Jellicoe Road? Such a beautiful book.

Cheers,
Helen !

message 29: by Kayla (new)

Kayla (girl_reader) | 1 comments Hi Melina....
I loved your book On the Jellicoe Road. I've read it so many times. It made me happy, sad, anxious, and surprised. This book is my all time favorite book. I recommend book to all my friends when they're looking for a good book to read.I was just wondering about the main characters of the book Jonah and Taylor. I feel like the books ending was great but left a lot of things left unresolved about the plot. My question is are you planning on making a sequel to On the Jellicoe Road?

message 30: by Wendy (new)

Wendy | 1 comments Hello Melina!

I don't really have a question for you because I'm sure that everyone else will ask much more interesting ones, I just wanted you to know that i adore your Lumatere series. Quintana of Charyn was by far my favorite read last year. I thought about it for weeks after finishing it. Please keep writing Fanasty! I will keep reading and recommending you to friends.

Thanks for all you do.
Wendy

message 31: by Sam (new)

Sam | 2 comments Hey Melina,

I totally love all your books, i was really happy with Jellicoe it was my most favourite book i the world.
I have made my friends read your books and they all loved them.
1. Would there every be a sequal to Jellicoe?

2. At the end of Looking for alibrandi (the movie) when things get resolved between Josie and Jacob, Why do they get resolved in the movie but not in the book?

3. When you write a book, do you ever write a backstory about the main characters?

Thanks for being an amazing author,
Sam

message 32: by Mary (new)

Mary Farrell (marycronkfarrell) Hi Melina,

I love your books. Jellicoe Road is one of my all time favorite books. Is it true you had a ten-year gap between books at one point? When I was just beginning to write for children, I read an interview about that, if I remember it right. It has become something precious to me as I have kept faith in myself while the years have gone by. Next year I have a book coming out--ten years after my last one. :)
Thank you.

message 33: by Mapi (new)

Mapi Carvajal | 1 comments Dear Melina,
I loved Quintanna of Charyn so much! I was wondering if you could explain about the "bond" between Quintanna's baby and Isaboe's and how they walked each other's dreams. :)

message 34: by Laura (new)

Laura | 1 comments Hey Melina!

I am so extremely proud to know that Australia has one of the most incredible authors in the world :) I am such a fan of what you have written, every one of your books has moved me in a different way. First off, congrats for selling the rights for the On the Jellicoe Road and Saving Francesca movies. I know that they will be just as awesome and true to the book as the Looking for Allibrandi film was. My question is; What is a tip that you would give to young aspiring writers, and how do you think your early days of writing helped you to get where you are today?

Thanks so much
-Laura

message 35: by Arrietty (new)

Arrietty | 2 comments Hi Melina,
I've been reading your books over and over again for years and I really love your work. I've been writing stories for as long as I can remember and I've just got a few questions.
- how much do you plan before you start writing and how much do you stick to that plan?
- do you write chapters in the order that you want them to end up in or do you write bits and pieces and structure them at the end?
- how much do you need to know about your characters before you start writing their story?
Thank you very much for your time,
Niav :) x

message 36: by Martha (new)

Martha | 1 comments Dear Melina,
I love your books and think that they are very deep and emotional. My favourite book is On the Jellicoe Road, though it is a hard decision. I think that the characters are strong and I love the secrets hidden in it. What inspired you to write it? Thanks.
Martha xx

message 37: by Jackie (new)

Jackie Sommers (jackieleasommers) | 2 comments You're the author I most want to imitate in my own writing! I'd love to hear what your next book project will be (as well as any updates on the films for SF and JR!). When will your next book come out?

P.S. I bought an Aussie copy of Quintana because I couldn't wait for the US release date!

message 38: by Zainab (new)

Zainab | 1 comments Hi Melina. Thank you so much for taking the time to answer our questions. I love all your books and own all of them, too. I even purchased Ferragost and really enjoyed Celie's story. My questions is, do you have any plans (after Jellicoe) to travel/do book signings? Do you plan on coming to New Zealand?

Thank you,
Zainab

message 39: by Reannan (last edited Apr 26, 2013 08:52PM) (new)

Reannan | 1 comments First off I think your books are just amazing and I love all that I have read. I especially love Finnikin of the Rock oh that book I was surprised by how much I loved it. I was obsessed with that book I had to have read it a dozen times. I love all the different characters from the Finnikin to Perry the savage but my favourite of them all was Isaboe, that girl kicked butt and she was tough which I loved I wanted to be like her. How can you not love a girl that teases the boys like the ending so loved. Isaboe and Finnikin made me laugh and I love to laugh I like how you mixed humour into a book that had such sadness in it. Isaboe and finnikin are the reasons I continued on with the series I just needed to know what would happen next and I was not dissapointed. I read on the Jellicoe Road and I was so glad I loved it, I could not believe how much I loved it that book brought me to tears because I felt for the characters of Taylor and Nani and so many others the book was just plain amazing. I am a big big fan I would have comtinued with the praise of your books all day if I could.

Question time
How do you create so many memorable characters that people can't get out of their heads?

I need to know where did the inspiration for Isaboe come from? that girl amazed me I never knew what she would do next.

Will any of your other books become movies? I hope they do.

Did you ever think you were going to far with some of the things that happened to your characters?

Thankyou for your time and thanks for writting some of the best books I have ever read, if you are ever in Melbourne I would love to meet you.

message 40: by Jillian (new)

Jillian Armonia | 1 comments Hello, Melina!

I want to say thank you for creating the Lumatere Chronicles! Finnikin Of The Rock was so awesome that it blew my mind. I even thought that it was just one book and I was so happy to learn that it was a book series. Yey!

I am also trying to write a fantasy novel right now but I never get to finish so I wanted to ask how you ever get finished with your novel... I've started writing but I've neglected it for about 3 months.

Seriously, what is your great inspiration for your novels?

Because I have been greatly inspired by them.

Thank you again! And I hope you keep on writing more! :)

message 41: by Jackie (new)

Jackie Sommers (jackieleasommers) | 2 comments Are you coming to the United States? We want to meet you!!

message 42: by Devyani (new)

Devyani | 2 comments Hi, Melina.
I'm sure that by looking at the amount of messages that have accumulated here, you can see how we all appreciate what you do and throw at us. I've noticed that in all of your books, a message that comes across in every way is that of 'hope'. And apart from Francesca, The Lumatere Chronicles is the only series that you wrote.
1)So are there more series in the genre of fantasy waiting for us?
2)Or are there more series in general?

Note:Your writing style is marvellous and the way you connected the story of John of Charyn in Froi of Exiles and Quintana of Charyn, left me astounded. I've always wondered a bit about Grijo and Florenza and after stalking a lot of messages here, I see the hope for many short stories (I hope.) , so I really do hope that we get to read something about them as well. :)

3) So among Tom, Froi , Jonah , Will , Lucian and Finnikin (I wish to list out Perri and Arjuro too, but then the list may become just too long.) who do you think is that He-man? As in , if you were to ever go on a date who among these beautiful men would you go with? (I wouldn't blame you if it was hard for you to decide because they really are BEAUTIFUL.)

4)And you've written some really heart pounding reads. And I'm sure I had a coronary every once in a while , while reading Froi and Jelicoe, so according to you which book was the one you thought was the hardest to write?

In the end, I hope I did not sound like a lunatic, but this opportunity seemed too good to be true. I really do hope that you have a wonderful life and that your wonderful life keeps inspiring you to weave the kind of stories you usually do. Thank you so much for all your time and I really do hope that you visit India sometime. :)

message 43: by Danielle (new)

Danielle (dmath00) | 1 comments Hi Melina,
I wanted to say that I have enjoyed reading the lives and thoughts of Finnikin and Froi. They are very different in heart and mind but over all highly loved characters. So my question is will Froi make it to Quintana and his child?
Thanks! Can't wait to read the book!

message 44: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 1 comments Hi, Melina
i was just wondering if you have considered writing on jimmy hailer. He is by far one of my favourite characters and i have too many questions about him!
thanks!

message 45: by Lo (new)

Lo (darkalleycookies) | 2 comments Hey Melina,
I was wondering where you got your ideas or inspiration for Jellicoe Road. It's an amazing book. Also, why did you choose to write a book about Tom from Saving Francesca instead of another character? Will you be writing any more companion books of any of your other books?

Thanks! :)

message 46: by Syahira (new)

Syahira Hi Melina, so let me give you zee questions...
1) What influence you into creating the political intrigue in Lumatere trilogy down to the regional strife that each character have? which is pretty realistic btw which is enough to rival 'Game of Thrones'

2) As the setting and worldbuilding around the series is pretty descriptive, so what places and cultures inspired you into making the settings of Lumatere rich in details?

3) Is there going to be a spin off from the Lumatere series or are you making another fantasy? I really love the series and its too complex to end with just three books.

And finally, I really think you are a sadist to all of your characters and I love you for it. Reading all you books and its ending is worth the tears and heartbreaks I've suffered in the end. You're definitely one in a million and need to write more and more. Loyal fan right here.

Elliott Alicia  | 1 comments Hi, Melina!

I read Saving Francesca this year and it feels like you captured my soul and put it into a book. This is the only book I have ever read about depression that shows it the way you showed it. Something that just happens without a warning, something that's impossible to just snap yourself out of, and something that's very real, not the romanticized over dramatic version of it. I love how you showed that Francesca could still have good moments and how you surrounded her with amazing friends that supported her and I love how strong of a character Francesca was, and even though she believed that her depression (or her mom's) had taken away her personality, it wasn't something that defined her. Where did you get the inspiration for this? How did you go about writing the mental illness in this book? What made you decide to write about this?

message 48: by Georgie (new)

Georgie (georgiedeeart) Hello Melina!

I'm so excited to be asking you a question, I never thought I would get this opportunity! I absolutely adore your novel Looking for Alibrandi. It is honestly my favourite book to read. I've also read Saving Francesca and the Piper's Son, and loved them too.

My question/s for you is: What kind of books/novels do you like to read, and what are your favourites?

Thank you so much :)

message 49: by Lily (new)

Lily Hi Melina!

I'm just rereading the first two Limatere Chronicles books so that I can read Quintana of Charyn as soon as possible! I just wanted to say that your books are amazing and that I love them!

message 50: by Stephanie (last edited Apr 20, 2013 08:27PM) (new)

Stephanie | 1 comments I am a recent convert! I love your books (though I haven't gotten to the Lumatere Chronicles because I know I will need to read them all within a few days :) ).

1. It's cool to hear that you are a part of the Jellicoe Road film adaptation. MY QUESTION is What scene are you most excited about seeing "come to life" from the pages?

2. Is there a scene from JELLICOE ROAD (or any book if you'd prefer) that you look forward to a retake/chance to present more thoroughly or differently?

3. Will there be more Lumatere books in the future (or at least do you want to)? or might you dabble in fantasy again for new books?

« previous 1 3 4

Ask Melina Marchetta - Tuesday, April 30th!

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Gorgon in the Gully (other topics)