The Fault in Our Stars The Fault in Our Stars discussion

Shailene Woodley cast as Hazel

Comments Showing 1-48 of 48 (48 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Tehanu Shailene Woodley of "The Descendants" fame, who has just wrapped up filming Spiderman 2 as Mary Jane Watson and is about to start filming Divergent as Tris Prior has been cast as Hazel Grace Lancaster.
Thoughts?

Source: http://pagetopremiere.com/2013/03/sha...

doctor I don't care if she's a good actress, I'm happy that she's being noticed, but I don't want her in my two favorite books (er, one series and a book, I suppose.)
It's that simple.

Jennifer That doesn't make sense...usually when someone is in a BIG movie...(especially one that was originally a book.) they don't usually get to be in another BIG movie that came from a book as well. Plus, I'm not sure they've even started filming Divergent..(as Four has just been recently cast.) I don't necessarily like Shailene, but I'm sure I will love her as Hazel.

Travis I think she looks a little too old, but we'll see how it turns out. I mean, if John Green wants her to be in it, I think she'll do fine. He knows what's up and it's his damn book.
But people are going to complain no matter what. I hate when people say they don't want a movie to ruin the book. That's stupid.
Oh... I wonder who else will be part of the cast...

Jennifer Really, I wonder who will play Augustus? I think Logan Lerman could be pretty good...

Zoee Alexandraa I love her <3 <3 <3

Erin O'Riordan I don't know who she is, but I don't see why it's a big deal that she's playing both Hazel Grace and Tris. Gary Oldman is Sirius Black and Commissioner Gordon - so what?

Tehanu Jennifer wrote: "That doesn't make sense...usually when someone is in a BIG movie...(especially one that was originally a book.) they don't usually get to be in another BIG movie that came from a book as well. Plu..."

The filming of Divergent is set to begin on April.

Erin wrote: "I don't know who she is, but I don't see why it's a big deal that she's playing both Hazel Grace and Tris. Gary Oldman is Sirius Black and Commissioner Gordon - so what?"

It's not a big deal to me, but her case is not the same as Gary Oldman's. Gary Oldman worked in a very popular children's book and a very popular comic book. While Shailene will work in TWO very popular current Young Adult books.
Again, I don't really care, but I think that's the mentality behind people who do.

doctor Tehanu wrote: "Jennifer wrote: "That doesn't make sense...usually when someone is in a BIG movie...(especially one that was originally a book.) they don't usually get to be in another BIG movie that came from a ..."

Plus the Spiderman sequel, which seems to have a younger audience target.

Elizabeth Rund No, no, no. I don't think she would be able to bring justice to Hazel's character. Her acting is a little stiff.

Jennifer Lightning wrote: "Tehanu wrote: "Jennifer wrote: "That doesn't make sense...usually when someone is in a BIG movie...(especially one that was originally a book.) they don't usually get to be in another BIG movie th..."

Yeah, I mean. I'm not entirely opposed to having her be Hazel. But really, what do we know? Especially, what do we know compared to the VERY skilled and educated casters. I'm sure she will be great.

Maddie I'm one of the rare people that actually disliked this book. But she's actually pretty similar to what I saw in my head, just shorter hair, so no complaints from me.

Andrea Im satisfied with the choice. I can totally picture her as Hazel

message 14: by [deleted user] (new)

Maddie wrote: "I'm one of the rare people that actually disliked this book. But she's actually pretty similar to what I saw in my head, just shorter hair, so no complaints from me."
I didn't dislike the book, but I did think it could have been better. It wasn't mindnumbingly good like everyone had made it out to be. In fact, I'm preferring Katherines so far....

message 15: by Tyler (last edited Mar 20, 2013 10:27AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Tyler Jolley I think she'll do a great job as Hazel. What about Evan Peters for Gus? He is a little old, but he played teenager in American Horror Story (season 1) and did a great job.

Heather Andrea wrote: "Im satisfied with the choice. I can totally picture her as Hazel"

I agree, she seems fine to me. Didn't she get good reviews in the Descendants? I'm more interested in who they get to play Augustus.

Heather Tyler wrote: "I think she'll do a great job as Hazel. What about Evan Peter's for Gus? He is a little old, but he played teenager in American Horror Story (season 1) and did a great job."

Yes, this is who I think should play him. Evan was intense in AHS and we know he can do boy with a crush. He's the only young actor right now that I can picture playing Augustus. Everyone else I think should play him is way too old, unfortunately.

Janet I honestly am not happy with the director picking her maybe because I've only seen her acting on that ABC show I'll check her other movie and maybe I'll change my mind but I'm really mad they are making the fault in our stars when a studio has owned the rights to looking for Alaska for a few years now and no one has done anything with that lol I must sound really bitter

Katelyn Broad I think that she'll do a good job. I heard she was fantastic in the Descendants. I do think she may be a bit too old though...

message 20: by Kaeri (last edited Mar 20, 2013 06:23PM) (new)

Kaeri I have no idea what's with Shailene Woodley that she keeps on landing these major movie adaptation roles. Are there no other actresses?? I just can't see her charm at all.

She's already playing Tris, and now Hazel. I hope non-readers won't find her too redundant.

Anastasia Looking at pictures on line, I could see her as Hazel. Only my mind associates her with "The Secret Life" So that's all I'd be thinking about during the movie. Also, I think she should just do Divergent because two strong female protagonists should not look exactly the same. I can definitely see Emily Browning though.

message 22: by Kaeri (new)

Kaeri Anastasia wrote: "Looking at pictures on line, I could see her as Hazel. Only my mind associates her with "The Secret Life" So that's all I'd be thinking about during the movie. Also, I think she should just do Dive..."

I agree. Emily Browning would be a good choice. I don't get why she's accepting all these roles all at the same time. She should associate with one well-known, heavy, character at a time. She's like everywhere and is everyone all at the same time O_O

message 23: by Kaeri (new)

Kaeri I think Elle Fanning would've been a great choice as well...

message 24: by Alison (last edited Mar 20, 2013 08:51PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Alison She definitely should not be in both films. It's kind of like I tolerated Kristen Stewart in one movie, I wouldn't have wanted to see her play Hermione too.

message 25: by Kaeri (new)

Kaeri @Alison hahaha, that's funny! That's actually how I feel :))

message 26: by Avery (last edited Mar 21, 2013 07:10PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Avery I don't see a problem with it. She wasn't what I had in mind, but I don't dislike the idea of her either, so that's good.

Amirah I. Tris is Hazel? oh kay..

Tyler Jolley Who do you guys think would be great for Gus? Have they announced anyone yet?

Amirah I. Tyler wrote: "Who do you guys think would be great for Gus? Have they announced anyone yet?"

Brenton Thwaites!

Inês i like that choice :)

Jennifer Meeralala wrote: "Tyler wrote: "Who do you guys think would be great for Gus? Have they announced anyone yet?"

Brenton Thwaites!"

Nah..(not to put down your opinion.) I don't think he has the right "look" to him. Know what I mean? Personally, I think Logan Lerman would actually be really good for that role.

Olivia I actually like this decision. Yeah, she is starting to get more popular, but I still think she will do a fine job. I am especially okay with her because she must be doing some pretty great acting to be chosen from that many girls. And, my inner Divergent fangirl can't help but be excited for her. I am also looking forward to The Amazing Spider-Man 2 !

Avery For Augustus though, I definitely say no to Logan Lerman.

*alex* Wasn't Logan already cast as Augustus?

Sydne Not a fan

Emily noooo :(

Andrew Wow, this is REALLY something. On the 'There's a movie!!' forum, I said that Shailene Woodley would be a good choice for Hazel, and now look what happened! I'm not being all selfish and saying that it's because of me, but just throwing it out there...really interesting!

message 38: by Virginia (last edited Mar 25, 2013 03:29PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Virginia I really like her voice, so I guess I'll like her as Hazel. It's a pleasure listening to her.

Marin She is a fine actress, but I DO NOT want her as Hazel. She is NOT right for the part!!!!

Tyler Jolley Andrew wrote: "Wow, this is REALLY something. On the 'There's a movie!!' forum, I said that Shailene Woodley would be a good choice for Hazel, and now look what happened! I'm not being all selfish and saying that..." Hey I'm glad you asked, it's been very interesting! Great topic!

Anastasia Erika Etherviere wrote: "Anastasia wrote: "Looking at pictures on line, I could see her as Hazel. Only my mind associates her with "The Secret Life" So that's all I'd be thinking about during the movie. Also, I think she s..."
Ikr!! Like out of the blew. And now that I think about it, I absolutely don't want her as both roles. UGH!!

message 42: by Prim (new) - rated it 4 stars

Prim I really don't care who plays Hazel. All I want to know is.. who will play as Augustus!

Nicholas Hoult can be a good Augustus. No offense but I think Logan Lerman is too cute to be an Augustus.

This movie is gonna be big and Shailene should seriously do a great job for it.

Charlie Ika-Heimonen I am just so excited they are going to make a movie of this book!!! I loved it... so thrilled. And if John Green says he feels like she brought his character to life, then I'll take his word for it! :)
http://charliebooks.blogspot.ca/2013/...

Aseel i just don't see it....

Lindsay Totally disapointed.

arelyse i have to admit i'm not very happy with her being Hazel..

message 47: by Abby (new) - rated it 5 stars

Abby I don't want the movie period. I love the book so much. It's my favorite, and I don't want anyone to screw it up. It doesn't matter who they cast to me, because it will never be the same people that I picture when I read it. Also, I'm gonna be devastated if they leave out certain parts in the movie, which they probably will. It probably will kill me though if people don't read the book before seeing the movie and then say that the movie is better, or if really does turn out bad, say that the whole book is awful because they only saw the bad movie.

None of this probably makes any sense. But basically, this story means way to much to me to trust anyone in Hollywood with their hands on it. I mean, I enjoyed the Twilight Saga beforehand and look what happened after the movies came out.

I just don't think it will be successful because of all the expectations of greatness surrounding it. Shaline has a lot to live up to, as far as I'm concerned.

message 48: by Grace (last edited Apr 03, 2013 07:14AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Grace Soliman I love the book so much that making it a movie is a betrayal. The book is divine. I see no means for them to make the movie better than the book.

But they can always try.

Hence, I have some say regarding the casting. It's unfair for you to judge the actor who's going to play the part if you haven't seen them play the part yet.