812 Discussion discussion

The Outsiders > 3/19: Conflict

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ms. Flagg (new)

Ms. Flagg (MissFlagg) | 11 comments Mod
What is your Outsiders character's most significant conflict?

Make sure you provide two examples how this conflict has affected him.

message 2: by Matthew (new)

Matthew | 11 comments In the Outsiders my character is Johnny and the conflict is that he is about to run away with Ponyboy for a better life. In the book Johnny's conflict is his parents and that wants him to run
away. Johnny and his parents don't get along very well. His father beats him for no reason, and his mom does not care for him. The only people that show Johnny love is the gang. In the gang he is well respected and nobody hits him or makes fun of him. Ponyboy lets Johnny sleep in his house because Johnny does not want to get into a fight with his parents.

message 3: by Essam (new)

Essam Alhumoz | 7 comments In the book Outsiders my character is Darry. Darry is the oldest out of Soda and Pony. Their family died when they were all young; therefore Darry being the oldest had to take charge. Darry was never given the opportunity to be a kid, because of his family passing. Darry tries to keep Pony out of trouble, so that Pony can have a bright future. Pony assumes that Darry doesn't love him because of how strict he is. Darry had to take the father role, because Pony never actually had a father to begin with.

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

In the realistic fiction book by S.E. Hinton called "The Outsiders", my character that I need to focus more on is Johnny. Johnny does not seem to appear in the book as much as Darry, but he is still at the scenes and is very important. Johnny is a greaser like Ponyboy and is part of the gang like every other member in it, but Johnny is a little different. The difference is that Johnny seems to suffer a lot of life problems. Johnny is a very kind guy, but he doesn't get the right attention he gets. That is one of the biggest conflicts. One example of this in the book is when Ponyboy, member of the gang, said that Johnny was a tough guy that was always beat by his father badly and is always ignored by his mother. Johnny was going to run away, but what keeps him alive there is his gang members that support him. As you just read, Johnny is not a bad guy, but still gets disrespect from his parents. Another example is people that know Johnny don't see him as a strong leader. Johnny is shy and quiet sometimes and people take the way they treat him that way. When Johnny stands up, everyone goes shocked. In the book, Ponyboy even stated that Johnny is not a strong leader, but he is a very important member to the gang and helps solve a lot of problems. Johnny is a guy that help solve the gang problems and he should get some extra respect for that. This all shows one of Johnny's biggest conflict throughout the book so far.

message 5: by Elva (new)

Elva C. | 13 comments In the realistic fiction book, The Outsiders by S.E. Hinton, my main character is Johnny. Johnny, in this book, is the second youngest of the 'gang', followed by Ponyboy. Ponyboy and Johnny are really close to each other. In the book, Johnny is a child who has been abused by his father. The most significant conflict for Johnny is, right after the time when Johnny got jumped by the Socs, Johnny has changed. One example is Ponyboy states, "...After the night of the beating, Johnny was jumpier than ever" (34). This quote shows how after being jumped by the Socs affect Johnny. In the book, Ponyboy explains how Johnny used to not be a coward, and how he sticks up to the gang. Then, after he got jumped, Johnny became super cautious, he always brings a switchblade with him. Another example is it took a lot for Johnny to cry. In the book, Ponyboy has stated that even though he is abused by his father, and no one even bothers to care, he didn't cry. However, in the part where Ponyboy had a flashback of the time where they found Johnny on the ground after he got beat up by the Socs, he was crying. This shows us that getting beat up by the Socs really affected him. After what he has gone through, this might be the worst thing that has happen to Johnny, that it made him cry.

message 6: by Kailey (new)

Kailey | 7 comments In the book "Outsiders" written by S.E. Hinton my characters name is Dally which is short for Dallas. the most significant problem Dally faces is being the toughest of the Greasers. One reason is because he is the type of person it would be difficult to classify as a 'hood' or a 'greaser'. Also, hes this tough,scary looking guy,but when it comes to Johnny, Dally is really relaxed.

message 7: by Ivan (new)

Ivan (ivanski711) | 7 comments In the realistic fiction book, Outsiders by S.E. Hinton, my character is Sodapop. The biggist conflict is internal and it has to do with Soda being crazy for horses. When he was little he had a horse called Mickey Mouse and he was strongly connected to him. Until one night they haad to take Mickey Mouse away, causing Soda to be emotionaly recked. Ponyboy tryed to save money to help buy Mickey Mouse back, yet failed. What made this break up realy difficult was that them two had been connected for so log that the horse became his only friend.

message 8: by Ben (new)

Ben Friedman | 7 comments In the realistic fiction book by S.E. Hinton called "The Outsiders", The character in which I need to become at one with is Darry. Darry has two brothers Ponyboy and Sodapop. When Darry was younger his parents where killed in a car accident. That was most likey the biggest conflict Darry has faced so far in the book. I say this because he then had to take on a parent role for both Soda and Pony.

message 9: by Justin (new)

Justin Yu | 10 comments In the realistic fiction book The Outsiders by S.E Hinton my character is Dallas or Dally. Dally is the toughest of all greasers and he really is one of a kind. He doesn't have much of a conflict because he is the toughest and the only thing he does have to care about is the greasers. Otherwise, nothing else.

message 10: by Mark (new)

Mark | 5 comments In the book the outsiders by S.E Hinton my character is Darry. Darry is the oldest in the Curtis family. Darry has the responsibility of taking care of his two brothers Sosapop and Ponyboy. Darry's conflict is that he needs to keep Ponyboy out of trouble because Darry wants ponyboy to have a good future and be like him but in a nicer way. This affects Darry because Darry is mainly the new father of the Curtis family since there mom and dad died also Darry gets no more freedom and Ponyboy even said it himself that he has no time for fun. Also Darry has to deal with all of his work on top of taking care of his two brothers. Pony boy explains how he is too young to be lifting heavy boxes and how he is just like an old man, also how his character changed before there parents dies he was nice but after they died he was all mean and serious. This shows how Darry has had a lot and from all of this he is changing.

message 11: by Trinity (last edited Mar 19, 2013 06:05PM) (new)

Trinity Burgos | 12 comments In the book Outsiders by S.E. Hilton my character is Darry. One of the most significant conflicts in the book with Darry is when during the past his parents had passed away, so it's put alot of pressure throughout the years for him because he is the oldest child and it puts much more responsibilities on him than he is supposed to. Another reason why this is the most significant conflict is because he not only has to take responsibility for himself, but his two brothers also Ponyboy and Sodapop. Also, him being in a gang with his two brothers against another puts even more pressure on him because he has to worry about there saftey at all times which makes his life place in the book much harder to deal with as a big brother.

message 12: by Monica (new)

Monica | 14 comments In the realistic fiction book, The Outsiders, by S.E. Hinton, the narrator is Ponyboy. He is one of the few members of the gang he belongs to, which most people calls "greasers" Johnny Cade is one of them. He is a timid guy now, but he has not always been that way. Ever since he got beaten up by 4 socs (people whom live on west side, also rich and popular), he has been shaken up pretty badly. Not only that, his parents treats him badly too. They abuse and never cares about him, his family doesn't even care if he's home or not. These two issues caused Johnny's life to be really different. First, he wouldn't talk to strangers. He's afraid one of them might turn out to be a soc and beat him up all over again. In addition, now, he carries himself a six-inch switchblade to protect himself just in case if those kids whom beat him comes again. He even wants to threaten and kill them. But that is not how Johnny is. Overall, Johnny is a really nice and kind person, every gang member respects him because of him being every gang member's pet. No one could have ever changed Johnny's personality unless if they did serious damage to his heart and soul. This is a very significant conflict in the text for Johnny since socs and greasers will always be against each other. There would always be a fight going on between those two social classes, and Johnny might lose his patience and even threaten them with his switchblade if they kept on hurting his friends. This moment would really foreshadow a bigger conflict and tragedy that Johnny and Ponyboy would face forever.

message 13: by Kimora (new)

Kimora Irby | 5 comments In the book The Outsiders by S.E Hinton my character is Johnny. Johnny is always the quiet one in the group and he doesn't really look for trouble. In chapter one Ponyboy describes johnny as a sad kicked puppy who looks lost in the world at home he doesn't really get alot of affection towards his family. His dad beats him everyday and his mom just ignores him so he found they gang as family and they all show one another love. So if one person is in trouble or needs help they got each others backs and johnny sees all the gang members as family.

message 14: by Jack (new)

Jack Brill | 12 comments In the realistic fiction book "The Outsiders" by S.E Hinton my character is Soda. The biggest conflict is that soda dropped out of high school. Another big conflict that involved soda is, he always calmed down Dally when she argues with pony boy, and that affected him I guess in a positive way because it teaches him how to work with people and understand how they are feeling.