My Beloved World My Beloved World discussion

least favoratie book

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Betza Martinez too much big 11th grade words..

Charleen You mean... Too many? ;)

Lynn It's the ultimate American Dream story. If every young girl were encouraged to read this book, many more children would see that they can indeed live up to their dreams. It was a real inspiration, and I have deep admiration for her and her struggles.

Charleen It is an excellent book. By the time I was done u was brimming with excitement. It lifts you up.

Sharon Mcalister This is an excellent book. It shows you what is possible if you work
hard and keep on keepin' on. It is also almost a primer on how to
learn. Judge Sotomayer is a role model we can all admire. In addition,
she is very real, a person young women can relate to. Wonderful book.

My Beloved World by Sonia Sotomayor

Donna Schwartz This book increased my admiration for our newest Supreme Court justice. She is an amazing person! I really enjoyed learning about her cultural background and her struggles with family. It is so amazing how she knew immediately what she wanted to do with her life. I am very pleased that she took the time to share her life with us through this book.

Janine Holter I really enjoyed this book. Her life story is one of hard work. Some of the "legal" parts were slow but overall worth the read.

message 8: by Beth (new)

Beth This was a very well-written book. I just wish Ms. Sotomayor hadn't always had a self-pity for being a minority. There are many worse hardships in life such as physical and mental disabilities and money will never help things to be normal or fair. There are also many, many people who struggle with family problems, but not all are lucky to be born with an brain that is so adept to learn. Luckily, Ms. Sotomayor realizes she is blessed with intelligence.

Read Rest Recharge I loved this book because I felt that I got to really know Ms. Sotomayor beyond all the "official" information tied to her being a Chief Justice. I feel she is an inspiration to many people, and came across as very relatable.

Chris C All of the kids in this country are expected to meet higher standards at school. As adults, shouldn't we be challenging ourselves to read more complex material?

Marilyn Discrimination is psychological. You can't "end" it. You can only aspire to educate yourself out of it.

Marilyn I was under the impression that it is illegal to discriminate in the US by color, race, or nationality. I was thinking of more personal relationships.

Nancy Patrice wrote: "What I was addressing was affirmative action. Sotomoyor admits that she was not ready for Princeton or Yale but was admitted because of affirmative action. Because she was of Puerto Rican ancestr..."

You say that, "Sotomoyor admits that she was not ready for Princeton or Yale". In what way? Although she had cultural and educational gaps, she had superior intelligence and work skills that she put to use.

If anything, her story is an argument for, not against affirmative action.

Nancy Patrice wrote: "In what way? Educational gaps! Superior to whom? How do you know that? If people with superior skills are skipped over to give the seats to people of inferior skills, how does that prove that t..."
wow

Marilyn Blacks or Hispanics may be admitted to colleges with lower standards but they still have to get good grades and graduate same as everybody else. So after 4 years of college and another 4 or so of medical school, I doubt that it makes any difference. If you require no. 1 for your surgery you are excluding an awful lot of well qualified doctors of any background or race including white.

Nancy Patrice wrote: "Have you read Sotomayor's book? She did her senior thesis, I believe by interviewing her family about Puerto Rico. My husband was a college professor for almost 40 years. The pressure to maintai..."

My reaction to your original post was to wonder whether you had read the book, so your question piqued my interest. I don't know if you were addressing me, Marilyn, or both.

To restate my first point: Sotomayor overcame many challenges, and starting from a less than ideal position, she performed brilliantly in college.

You have strong feelings about Affirmative Action, but personal experience aside, the book does not prove that Affirmative Action is a bad thing.

Earlier you asked me, "Superior to whom? How do you know that?" I didn't reply because of your tone.

But now, to briefly state how and superior to whom, here is some information that is in her biography:
Valedictorian at Blessed Sacrament and at Cardinal Spellman High School in New York.
Summa cum laude and Phi Beta Kappa from Princeton.
Co-recipient of the M. Taylor Pyne Prize, the highest undergraduate honor at Princeton.
An editor of Yale Law Journal and managing editor of the Yale Studies in World Public Order at Yale Law School.

Trina I really loved this book. I am from New York. And I worked in law firms. I know just where she used to live and to me her whole world is very real, human, maybe because I knew people like her family. Justice Sonia is an incredibly smart, strong woman with heart. Nothing stopped her from her appointed tasks!

Nancy Trina wrote: "I really loved this book. I am from New York. And I worked in law firms. I know just where she used to live and to me her whole world is very real, human, maybe because I knew people like her fa..."
At first I was a bit shocked that a Supreme Court Justice would be so unfiltered in talking about her youth. As I read on, I deeply appreciated the simple, healthy honesty of telling her story without obscuring the real-world stuff.

Kressel Housman Supreme Court Justice Harry Blackmun on whether or not affirmative action is discrimination: "In order to get beyond racism, we must first take account of race. There is no other way. In order to treat some persons equally, we must treat them differently. We cannot - we dare not - let the 14th Amendment perpetuate racial supremacy."