Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (Harry Potter, #1) Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone discussion

Harry, Voldemort and their related upbringing

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

I think this an oft overlooked part of the books and I just wanted to bring it to the attention of those who did not notice, that they might take, perhaps, greater enjoyment and learning from the books.

In short, Harry was brought up to value love, in contrast to how Voldemort's upbringing instilled but an appreciation for power within him. This was a master-play by Dumbledore and the reasoning behind Harry's being left with the Dursleys in the first place - that he might not take love for granted, but all the while appreciate it.

message 2: by Eml (new) - rated it 5 stars

Eml Um, their upbringing does have a factor in who they became, but I don't think it was Dumbledore's master plan to leave Harry with the Dursleys to cause this. If anything, that could have backfired and he could have only wanted power because Harry was never shown love. Just like how Voldemort wasn't either.

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

Eml wrote: "Um, their upbringing does have a factor in who they became, but I don't think it was Dumbledore's master plan to leave Harry with the Dursleys to cause this. If anything, that could have backfired ..."

Pretty sure it was, dude. The hidden message in it is that love is strong. Think about it. There were some distinctions between Voldemort's upbringing and Harry's, were there not? And then remember McGonagall's questioning Dumbledore: "Why here?"

message 4: by Eml (new) - rated it 5 stars

Eml Voldemort picked Harry because he was similar to him. He wasn't a pure-blood. By killing his parents he put Harry in the same situation he was. For both Harry and Tom Riddle, Hogwarts was the only place they felt at home. Throughout the series Harry struggles with all the things he has in common with Voldemort. At one point it even feels like he thinks he'll become just like him. It was through his friendships with Ron and Hermione that he craved love instead of power. Dumbledore placed Harry with the Dursleys because he wanted him to grow up as a normal boy. He didn't want fame to get to his head. If he had grown up in a wizard's house, he would have spent his entire life listening to people be in awe of him. By being with the Dursleys, Harry was humble and never wanted stardom, just people that loved him.

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

Dumbledore left Harry and Voldemort with the same hunger, but for different things. The point is: be nice to people.

message 6: by Avani (last edited Apr 04, 2013 07:19PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Avani Dumbledore left Harry with the Dursleys to 1) keep him humble and away from the prying eyes of fame, and 2) leave him under the protection of Lily's love-charm-blood thing (not the most eloquent choice of words, I know).

If you think about it, the Dursleys and the orphanage both fostered loveless relationships. But Voldemort sought power over his peers from an early age to make up for the feeling of abandonment from his parents' death, and Harry didn't. There lies the difference.

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

No, you're wrong. Well, I think... :D

J.K. Rowling, Christian that she is, takes a deterministic approach to character development as any author does and is the only way that makes sense. Now, think about it some more. There was a marked difference in their upbringings. Harry was exposed to love, Voldemort was not. Keep thinking. How dark and dreary where Dumbledore found Voldemort? How isolate the cave from his childhood in which he hid the locket? and the cave in which he also terrorized two other orphans - to stress he'd been evil by then I'm pretty sure. And now consider Harry's upbringing. We're actually painted a colorful picture. I mean, the Voldemort nastiness aside - and though aside, a reference all the while - his upbringing wasn't so bad. He was bombarded with love every day in fact, or at least in contrast to Voldemort who was never so close to it, who could have never felt it of others even. Harry had to sleep in a cupboard, sure. But weren't you ever grounded as a kid? And then there are extenuating circumstances in Harry's case. He, uh, was a wizard and stuff, remember? :D

And so there you go, really! Be nice to people, J.K. Rowling says so!! or, well, she thinks you should be because otherwise they might turn into Voldemort anyway...

Just one final argument for my side: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ITqYqM...

Watch it til about 40 seconds in ;D

message 8: by [deleted user] (last edited Apr 05, 2013 07:11AM) (new)

Eh, actually I love Harry Potter. :D

You might consider also those of Slytherin who turned good in the end. Snape taken by an extreme sort of love for others, for Lily. The Malfoys the same. And then Slughorn, finally, who showed love for others in perhaps a more diluted form, through his slug-club. And his slug-club which was, however, still somewhat tainted with that Slytherin lust for power, in who it accepted, but here is just another triumph of love like that in Harry's case as opposed to Voldemort's! The exact same kind even! :D

Be nice to people!!