2022 Reading Challenge discussion

ARCHIVE 2013 > Jeri's 2013 Books - goal 35

Comments Showing 1-50 of 55 (55 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Jeri (last edited Dec 13, 2013 02:15PM) (new)

Jeri (GlitterQueen) | 141 comments As of 12/13/13 - 41/35

I would like to read 35 (more would be great!) books this year.

So far I've read:
1. Life of Pi by Yann Martel - Life of Pi
2. Gods and Kings (Chronicles of the Kings #1) by Lynn Austin - Gods and Kings
3. Song of Redemption (Chronicles of the Kings #2) by Lynn Austin - Song of Redemption
4. The Greeks of Beaubien Street (The Greektown Trilogy #1) by Suzanne Jenkins - The Greeks of Beaubien Street
5. Pam of Babylon by Suzanne Jenkins - Pam of Babylon
6. Don't You Forget About Me by Suzanne Jenkins - Don't You Forget About Me

message 2: by Jeri (last edited Mar 22, 2013 10:58AM) (new)

Jeri (GlitterQueen) | 141 comments 7) The Strength of His Hand (Chronicles of the Kings #3) by Lynn Austin - The Strength of His Hand

message 3: by Jeri (last edited Mar 22, 2013 10:58AM) (new)

Jeri (GlitterQueen) | 141 comments 8) - Great Expectations by Charles Dickens Great Expectations

8/35

message 4: by Jeri (new)

Jeri (GlitterQueen) | 141 comments 9) Prayers for the Dying by Suzanne Jenkins - Prayers for the Dying, Book #4 in the series, now I've got to get started on the final book

message 5: by Jeri (new)

Jeri (GlitterQueen) | 141 comments 10 - A Game of Thrones (A Song of Ice and Fire, #1) by George R.R. Martin A Game of Thrones

message 6: by Jeri (new)

Jeri (GlitterQueen) | 141 comments 11 - Family Dynamics (Pam of Babylon) by Suzanne Jenkins Family Dynamics. Very interesting series and unexpected wrap-up!

message 7: by Jeri (new)

Jeri (GlitterQueen) | 141 comments 12 - Slammed (Slammed, #1) by Colleen Hoover Slammed. Oh no, now I've got to read the rest of the series!

message 8: by Kara, TBR Twins (new)

Kara (karaayako) | 3971 comments Which book has been your favorite so far, Jeri?

message 9: by Jeri (new)

Jeri (GlitterQueen) | 141 comments Kara,

It's too hard to choose just one, but I really enjoyed Life of Pi, Game of Thrones and the Gods and Kings series so far.

message 10: by Kara, TBR Twins (new)

Kara (karaayako) | 3971 comments Haven't checked out Gods and Kings yet--I'll look into that.

message 11: by Jeri (new)

Jeri (GlitterQueen) | 141 comments It's historical fiction, which is one of my favorite genres. It takes place a little later than King David, it's about his ancestors. I'm not even religious, and I really enjoyed it.

message 12: by Jeri (new)

Jeri (GlitterQueen) | 141 comments 13) Skin Deep by Anne Hjelle Skin Deep by Anne Hjelle - a true story of a woman attacked by a mountain lion, very inspiring!

message 13: by Jeri (new)

Jeri (GlitterQueen) | 141 comments 14) Point of Retreat (Slammed, #2) by Colleen Hoover Point of Retreat, sequel to Slammed, just as good, if not better!

message 14: by Jeri (new)

Jeri (GlitterQueen) | 141 comments 15) Fight Club by Chuck Palahniuk Fight Club

message 15: by Jeri (last edited Jun 04, 2013 04:28PM) (new)

Jeri (GlitterQueen) | 141 comments 16) The Sock Wars by Maia Sepp The Sock Wars

message 16: by Jeri (new)

Jeri (GlitterQueen) | 141 comments 17) Forbidden Fruit by Erica Spindler Loved this book, off to read another book by this author!

message 17: by Jeri (new)

Jeri (GlitterQueen) | 141 comments 18) Fortune by Erica Spindler Another fun one by Erica Spindler!

message 18: by Jeri (new)

Jeri (GlitterQueen) | 141 comments 19) The Long Hard Road Out of Hell by Marilyn Manson I found this book to be demented, perverse, and yet hilarious and enlightening. One heckuva read!

message 19: by Jeri (new)

Jeri (GlitterQueen) | 141 comments 20) Beauty, Disrupted A Memoir by Carre Otis Another autobiography, very interesting.

message 20: by Jeri (new)

Jeri (GlitterQueen) | 141 comments 21) I Kill Me Tales of A Jilted Hypochondriac by Tracy H. Tucker

message 21: by Tara ♪ (new)

Tara ♪ You like historical fiction? Me, too! ;-)

message 22: by Jeri (new)

Jeri (GlitterQueen) | 141 comments Tara (Duchess of Grammar) wrote: "You like historical fiction? Me, too! ;-)"

Love it! That's the only way I know any history!

message 23: by Jeri (new)

Jeri (GlitterQueen) | 141 comments 22) This Girl (Slammed, #3) by Colleen Hoover - 3rd in the Slammed series.

message 24: by Jeri (new)

Jeri (GlitterQueen) | 141 comments 23) I Want My MTV The Uncensored Story of the Music Video Revolution by Craig Marks

message 25: by Jeri (new)

Jeri (GlitterQueen) | 141 comments 24) Faith of My Fathers (Chronicles of the Kings #4) by Lynn Austin

message 26: by Jeri (new)

Jeri (GlitterQueen) | 141 comments 25) The Da Vinci Code (Robert Langdon, #2) by Dan Brown

message 27: by Jeri (new)

Jeri (GlitterQueen) | 141 comments 26) Among the Gods (Chronicles of the Kings #5) by Lynn Austin , the last in a great series!

message 28: by Jeri (new)

Jeri (GlitterQueen) | 141 comments 27) The Secret Garden by Frances Hodgson Burnett , delightful!

message 29: by Adriana (new)

Adriana | 3888 comments Loved The Secret Garden! I just had to read it after seeing the 1993 movie version. It's so magical (:

message 30: by Jeri (last edited Sep 21, 2013 02:01PM) (new)

Jeri (GlitterQueen) | 141 comments I didn't know there was a movie, I'll have to check that out!

Adriana wrote: "Loved The Secret Garden! I just had to read it after seeing the 1993 movie version. It's so magical (:"

message 31: by Jeri (new)

Jeri (GlitterQueen) | 141 comments 28) Anne of Green Gables (Anne of Green Gables, #1) by L.M. Montgomery , another wonderful children's book!

message 32: by Adriana (new)

Adriana | 3888 comments I've had that on my bookshelf for ages. Is it similar to The Secret Garden? I think it has something to do with a garden or maze...

message 33: by Jeri (new)

Jeri (GlitterQueen) | 141 comments I thought it had some similarities in their personalities and initially being unwanted. It was a really good read right after Secret Garden!

Adriana wrote: "I've had that on my bookshelf for ages. Is it similar to The Secret Garden? I think it has something to do with a garden or maze..."

message 34: by Jeri (new)

Jeri (GlitterQueen) | 141 comments 29) The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (Millennium, #1) by Stieg Larsson . Very interesting, now another series I need to read!

message 35: by Jeri (new)

Jeri (GlitterQueen) | 141 comments 30) The Book Thief by Markus Zusak - Amazing book!

message 36: by Adriana (new)

Adriana | 3888 comments So glad you enjoyed The Book Thief Jeri! What do you think about (view spoiler)

message 37: by Jeri (last edited Oct 21, 2013 08:27AM) (new)

Jeri (GlitterQueen) | 141 comments Adriana wrote: "So glad you enjoyed The Book Thief Jeri! What do you think about [spoilers removed]"

I hated that part, but what is weird is that because I learned about it earlier, that is really when I felt sad about it. At the end, I was mostly sad (view spoiler)

message 38: by Jeri (new)

Jeri (GlitterQueen) | 141 comments 31) The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini - 5 stars. I found it funny to see so many people hating this book and calling it trash, I dunno, maybe I'm not critical enough, but I really enjoyed it!

message 39: by Jeri (new)

Jeri (GlitterQueen) | 141 comments 32) Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (Harry Potter, #1) by J.K. Rowling - 5 stars.

message 40: by Adriana (new)

Adriana | 3888 comments Is this the first time you read Harry Potter?

message 41: by Jeri (new)

Jeri (GlitterQueen) | 141 comments Yes, I started it a long time ago, got busy and never finished - that was a real book. This time I downloaded it on Kindle and have been able to read it and finish it quickly. Just downloaded the next book in the series!

Adriana wrote: "Is this the first time you read Harry Potter?"

message 42: by Jeri (new)

Jeri (GlitterQueen) | 141 comments 33) Fancy Feet The Story of a Woman Turning Tragedy into Hope by Heidi Cave - 4 1/2 stars, very inspirational.

message 43: by Jeri (new)

Jeri (GlitterQueen) | 141 comments 34) Full Service My Adventures in Hollywood and the Secret Sex Lives of the Stars by Scotty Bowers - 3 stars, very juicy Hollywood gossip.

message 44: by Adriana (new)

Adriana | 3888 comments Jeri wrote: "Yes, I started it a long time ago, got busy and never finished - that was a real book. This time I downloaded it on Kindle and have been able to read it and finish it quickly. Just downloaded the n..."

I started reading it really late in thee game too. Once you get started it's addictive. Have fun!

message 45: by Jeri (new)

Jeri (GlitterQueen) | 141 comments Yes, I immediately ordered book 2 and will probably start that as one of my next books. Have you read them all, or just the first?

Adriana wrote: "Jeri wrote: "Yes, I started it a long time ago, got busy and never finished - that was a real book. This time I downloaded it on Kindle and have been able to read it and finish it quickly. Just dow..."

message 46: by Adriana (new)

Adriana | 3888 comments I've read them all. My brother would always preorder them so when I wanted to read them (about a year or two ago) I was able to read them all together. Have you seen all the movies?

message 47: by Jeri (new)

Jeri (GlitterQueen) | 141 comments I've seen all but the last one, I want to catch up and read the series before I find out what happens.

Adriana wrote: "I've read them all. My brother would always preorder them so when I wanted to read them (about a year or two ago) I was able to read them all together. Have you seen all the movies?"

message 48: by Jeri (new)

Jeri (GlitterQueen) | 141 comments 35) Fatty Patty (A James Bay Novel, #1) by Kathleen Irene Paterka - 4 1/2 stars, fun contemporary romance.

message 49: by Adriana (new)

Adriana | 3888 comments Jeri wrote: "I've seen all but the last one, I want to catch up and read the series before I find out what happens.

Adriana wrote: "I've read them all. My brother would always preorder them so when I wanted to..."

Perfect! Then you are in for a treat (;

message 50: by Jeri (new)

Jeri (GlitterQueen) | 141 comments 36) Divergent (Divergent, #1) by Veronica Roth - Reread because when I tried to start Insurgent, I could only remember the two main characters and couldn't remember what was going on! Now on to Insurgent. I'm going to try to complete this series this year.

« previous 1