Coursera Friends discussion

Ancient Greeks > First Impressions?

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jute (new)

Jute | 139 comments Mod
I've started watching the first videos.

There's a LOT of work in this class. I think am going to withhold my judgement until a week or two has passed. I'm really excited about the class, but I am a bit worried about the workload.

message 2: by Seawood (new)

Seawood First impressions?

I miss Prof Struck :(((((((((

I've only watched the first one so far as I'm also starting English Comp this week and haven't really taken in the workload on either, but I don't think this lecturer is as engaging.

message 3: by Seawood (new)

Seawood Ok, watched them all and done the quiz now - it's better than I expected from the first video, I think he hits his stride much more when he starts talking about the Iliad.

By workload do you mean the reading list? We covered quite a lot of it, at least this week, with the previous course, from what I can see. In terms of the quiz, more or less everything you needed was in the lectures. I don't know how much that will hold for later weeks but I got 17.5/20 on one watch-through and no reading...

message 4: by Emy (new)

Emy (emypt) | 88 comments Mod
This is going to have to be one I catch up on once it's finished. Currently snowed trying to write my MRes proposal (it's surprising me how hard it is to articulate what I'm wanting to do!)

message 5: by Seawood (new)

Seawood Oh god, academic paperwork. Best of luck with it!

I've kept up ok but I completely missed the deadline on one quiz and didn't do so well on another that I didn't have time to go back to. So I have to get 19s on the last two or I won't pass. It's a slim chance but I'll give it a go. It's been interesting but nowhere near as good as Struck's course, and that is pretty much all down to the presenter being so flipping boring.

message 6: by Emy (new)

Emy (emypt) | 88 comments Mod
Presenters can really make or break a course can't they!

message 7: by Seawood (new)

Seawood Definitely. But we got spoiled with Prof Struck; he was a natural in front of the camera and really thought about how to engage viewers with the visual material. The maps and so on for this one are often hard to see.

message 8: by Sonia (new)

Sonia Brown | 5 comments I love this course! I think I'm gonna go here https://admission-writer.com/blog/specific-types-of-essays for additional course.