Time Travel discussion

Shadow of Night (All Souls Trilogy, #2)
This topic is about Shadow of Night
Time Travel Books > Discovery of Witches, Book 2

Comments (showing 1-12 of 12) (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by E.B. (new)

E.B. Brown (EBBrown) | 320 comments Anyone read this book? This is interesting in that it is the second book of the series, where the first book did not have the time travel element. I loved the first book purely for the fantasy and alchemy storyline, but the second book was a pleasant surprise with the TT storyline.
Does anyone have an objection to adding it to the group bookshelf?

Heather(Gibby) (Heather-Gibby) | 395 comments I have read the first, and have the 2nd one sitting on my ipad ready to read, I am really looking forward to it. I think it is totally appropriate to put on our bookshelf.

message 3: by John, Moderator in Memory (new)

John | 834 comments Mod
E.B. wrote: "Anyone read this book? This is interesting in that it is the second book of the series, where the first book did not have the time travel element. I loved the first book purely for the fantasy and..."

The book has been added to our group bookshelf. Thanks for the suggestion.

message 4: by E.B. (new)

E.B. Brown (EBBrown) | 320 comments yay! TY :) It's not too mushy, for those men out there who find the romance aspect off-putting. A man actually recommend it to me.

message 5: by Tej (last edited Mar 19, 2013 09:27AM) (new)

Tej (TheyCallMeMrGlass) | 1670 comments Mod
E.B. wrote: "yay! TY :) It's not too mushy, for those men out there who find the romance aspect off-putting. A man actually recommend it to me."

Good find EB!

I know I sometimes say I am wary of romance in books but its only because some novels go way overboard, dominating the narrative with it. I actually like romance when done well. They are often essential to bind an emotional engagement in a story. Its how romance is written is what I am mostly wary of :) The best ones are the ones that dont really hit it off to start with but circumstances forces them to work together and then a chemistry brews, something along those lines. I like that. Han Solo/Leia for example (oh boy, trust me to come up with an example from Star Wars)

Anyway, I might give this one a go. I have read only one other Vampire novel called Destined which happens to be by one of our group members, Alison Kraft. It was a romance first and foremost fused with a period setting on the Titanic, Vampire hunting, and time travel. I enjoyed it and it wasnt a long novel. Could have had more events going on though as it struggles with pacing in the middle.

message 6: by Harv (new)

Harv Griffin | 66 comments E.B. wrote: "Anyone read this book? This is interesting in that it is the second book of the series, where the first book did not have the time travel element. I loved the first book purely for the fantasy and..."

Hey, E.B.!

Your THE LEGEND OF THE BLOODSTONE is now on my kindle, and I followed & listed you on Twitter.

Hmmm . . . witches & time travel (Discovery of Witches, Book 2)? I'm behind the power-curve when it comes to Time Travel; hopelessly bogged down in an alternate-timeline-past of hard sci-fi. These vampire and witch and big-foot Time Travel novels are getting me all quantum entangled.

Cheers! @hg47

message 7: by E.B. (new)

E.B. Brown (EBBrown) | 320 comments Harv wrote: "E.B. wrote: "Anyone read this book? This is interesting in that it is the second book of the series, where the first book did not have the time travel element. I loved the first book purely for th..."

Thanks, Harv! I hope you enjoy it. I tell my friends, if you like it, feel free to share. If you hate it, message me privately and we can discuss it over wine. haha.

message 8: by E.B. (new)

E.B. Brown (EBBrown) | 320 comments Tej wrote: "E.B. wrote: "yay! TY :) It's not too mushy, for those men out there who find the romance aspect off-putting. A man actually recommend it to me."

Good find EB!

I know I sometimes say I am wary o..."

Tej, I feel the same way! Don't get me wrong, I love a good romance. (I'm a chick, I'm gushy sometimes.) But I love a good fantasy, a good alternate reality, and characters who have something to lose. I'm also drawn to characters that don't hit it off right away, it usually makes for lots of tension and interest.

Shadow of Night and Discovery of Witches deliver pretty much everything I enjoy reading in a book. I'm a huge fan, can hardly wait for Book #3.

Lianne (eclecticreading) I read this book some time ago and absolutely enjoyed it! I thought she did a great job in handling the time travel elements and portraying the period--looking forward to the third novel! =D

message 10: by E.B. (new)

E.B. Brown (EBBrown) | 320 comments Lianne wrote: "I read this book some time ago and absolutely enjoyed it! I thought she did a great job in handling the time travel elements and portraying the period--looking forward to the third novel! =D"

Oooh, I can't wait for book #3 either!!

message 11: by Lincoln, Temporal Jester (new)

Lincoln | 1290 comments Mod
I have heard good things about the discovery of witches series is it geared to my demographic?

message 12: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten McKenzie (KirstenMcKenzieAuthor) | 7 comments I loved the whole series. Her weaving of her historical research into the story is wonderful. And her writing certainly inspired my first two novels. I've reread the series twice now!

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Destined (other topics)