Connecting Readers and Writers discussion

The Back Road (DCI Tom Douglas, #2)
This topic is about The Back Road
Mystery/thriller/Horror > THE BACK ROAD - new from Rachel Abbott

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Abbott (rachel_abbott) | 25 comments Yesterday saw the launch of my new novel The Back Road on Amazon UK.

Following the success of Only the Innocent in the UK in 2012, The Back Road features Detective Chief Superintendent Tom Douglas again, but with a host of new characters.

One day after launch, The Back Road has already entered the thriller chart and has received its first two reviews - both five star.

The Back Road by Rachel Abbott
the quietest places... hide the darkest secrets
Available from Amazon UK US launch in October.

Only the Innocent by Rachel Abbott
women are rarely cold blooded murderers...
US cover displayed - available from Amazon US

message 2: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Abbott (rachel_abbott) | 25 comments A quick update - thanks to all my amazing readers, The Back Road entered the UK charts last night, and by this morning had risen to number 62.

Oh - and it managed to get 5 Five Star reviews too!

I understand that today is international happiness day - and that's certainly how I'm feeling!

message 3: by Wendy (new) - added it

Wendy Unsworth (mamahathaway) | 17 comments Very good luck with it Rachel, great to see your second novel already doing well!

message 4: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Abbott (rachel_abbott) | 25 comments Thanks Wendy - it's really kind of you to say so! More than anything, the reviews have blown me away. I have such lovely, supportive readers!

Thanks again.

Rachel

message 5: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Abbott (rachel_abbott) | 25 comments Opening lines of The Back Road

From the moment the cupboard door was slammed shut trapping them both inside, she knew something was different. It should have seemed just like every other day, but somehow it didn’t. She felt the familiar pain and discomfort - the same as always. So what was it?

The girl soundlessly inched her feet across the confined space searching for her sister’s toes with her own, both to seek and to give comfort. She had to try to make her sister feel safe. It would soon be over. But the fingers of an undefined dread were crawling up her spine.

message 6: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Abbott (rachel_abbott) | 25 comments Looking for something to read over Easter?

The Back Road is the new novel from Rachel Abbott, bestselling author of Only the Innocent, and it was released just ten days ago.

Since then, it has risen into the top 40 in the Kindle chart, and has attracted 16 reviews - all of them ✭✭✭✭✭ star.

Amazon Bestsellers Rank: #38 Paid in Kindle Store (See Top 100 Paid in Kindle Store)
#1 in Kindle Store > Books > Fiction > Crime, Thrillers & Mystery > Mystery > British Detectives
#3 in Kindle Store > Books > Fiction > Crime, Thrillers & Mystery > Thrillers > Suspense
#6 in Kindle Store > Books > Fiction > Crime, Thrillers & Mystery > Thrillers

"I couldn't put it down"
"A brilliant read"
"A tightly written thriller"
"Another fantastic book with a superb storyline"
"Thoroughly recommended"
"Absolutely brilliant"
"Pure Genius: A Masterclass in the Perfect Thriller!!"

The Back Road - the quietest places... hide the darkest secrets

message 7: by Norm (new)

Norm Hamilton (normhamilton) | 66 comments Unfortunately, when I go to Amazon I'm getting the message "This title is not currently available for purchase"

I'm not sure if that is because I am in Canada and it wants to send me to amazon.ca and it is not available there or what the problem is?

message 8: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Abbott (rachel_abbott) | 25 comments Hi Norm - sorry, I've only just seen this.

The Back Road is coming out in Canada in October - I have a publisher in the US and the agreement covers Canada too, and because they are publishing a paperback at the same time, it takes a little longer.

Thanks for your interest, though - and really sorry that you can't get it just yet.

message 9: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Abbott (rachel_abbott) | 25 comments Just posted a new product description for The Back Road - and I think it's loads better :

From the author of #1 bestseller – Only the Innocent

A girl lies close to death in a dark, deserted lane.
A driver drags her body to the side of the road.
A shadowy figure hides in the trees, watching and waiting.

The small community of Little Melham is in shock.

For Ellie Saunders the accident could destroy everything she has, because she too was out that night. But if she reveals where she was and why, her family will be torn apart. She is living on a knife-edge, knowing that her every move is being observed….

Ellie’s new neighbour, former Detective Chief Inspector Tom Douglas has moved to the village for some well-deserved peace and quiet, but as he is drawn into the web of deceit his every instinct tells him that what happened that night was more than a tragic accident.

As past and present collide, best-kept secrets are revealed and lives are devastated. Only one person knows the whole story. And that person will protect the truth no matter what the cost.

The Back Road is an electrifying thriller that will keep you guessing to the very end.

REVIEWS
There are red herrings galore in this well scripted plot and even when you think you have the story sussed, Abbott throws a spanner into the works … a refreshingly original read.
Crime Fiction Lover blog

Not only is it tightly plotted, with intricate twists and turns, the writing is also of the highest standard.
What am I reading blog

This is a tightly written psychological thriller.
Amazon top 500 reviewer

Better?

message 10: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Abbott (rachel_abbott) | 25 comments Latest update on The Back Road - it's reached #3 in the Amazon UK Kindle Store! Yippee!

Thanks to all of you who have taken the time to buy and review my books - I am so delighted with the response from readers.

message 11: by Tim (new)

Tim Prosser | 8 comments Hi All, I'm giving away - Tom Jones Just Help Yourself - at Amazon for the next couple of days. The offer ends on Tuesday.

UK http://amzn.to/10URGjH
USA http://amzn.to/ZZ5iPD

When Vernon Hopkins persuaded a 21-year-old Tom Jones to join his band – with the promise of a crate of light ale – who would have known history was in the making. Vernon Hopkins, the man who first discovered the golden voice of Tom Jones, offers a candid view of the music industry and the book is an action packed and fun filled romp through the era.

message 12: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Abbott (rachel_abbott) | 25 comments Thought I would give you the opening paragraphs from the prologue of The Back Road - see what you think.

From the moment the cupboard door was slammed shut trapping them both inside, she knew something was different. It should have seemed just like every other day, but somehow it didn’t. She felt the familiar pain and discomfort - the same as always. So what was it?

The girl soundlessly inched her feet across the confined space searching for her sister’s toes with her own, both to seek and to give comfort. She had to try to make her sister feel safe. It would soon be over. But the fingers of an undefined dread were crawling up her spine.

Then her sister made a strange gurgling sound. She’d never made that sound before. It was as if something was stuck deep in her throat and she was trying to force it out. The girl silently willed her sister to stop.
Shh. Be still. Be quiet.

She rested her chin on her bony raised knees, and repeated the words over and over in her head, praying that her little sister would hear her thoughts and understand. If either of them made a noise, The Mother would be angry, and it would all be so much worse. Worse than suffering in silence.

message 13: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Abbott (rachel_abbott) | 25 comments Just realised that I'd already put some of that opening section on before! Silly me.

However - the good news is that today I received my FORTIETH Five Star Review for The Back Road

Thanks for the support, lovely readers.

message 14: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Abbott (rachel_abbott) | 25 comments What do you think of video trailers for books? Do you think they work? I've just published the trailer for The Back Road on its Amazon page - click the Amazon link to check it out.

I would love to know what you think.

message 15: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Abbott (rachel_abbott) | 25 comments Just to let you know that The Back Road is in an Amazon UK Promotion this month - and is available for just £0.99p!