Archived Buddy Reads > ❀Abbi and Megan❀ A Noble Groom by Jody Hedlund

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Megan, ☘I Lost My Shoe ☘ (new) - rated it 4 stars

Megan (celtic_girl) | 6295 comments Mod
❀Abbi and Megan❀ A Noble Groom by Jody Hedlund

message 2: by Megan, ☘I Lost My Shoe ☘ (new) - rated it 4 stars

I have to say that I love Jody's books, there are just so good!

Carl is such a wonderful guy! I love how he is the exact opposite of what Annalisa expects. The way he spends time with both Gretchen and her, plus how sweet he is to the animals - the scene where he gives Snowdrop his meal made him all the more endearing! And how he secretly added to Annalisa's hidden stash of money really showed the kind of man he is. When she noticed how under the bed wasn't how she left it and immediately had the fear that he stole from her like Hans did. I loved it when she found the discrepancy in the money made it more than what she had saved up to that point and realized that instead of taking money from her he added to it - just loved it!

I think Ward is responsible for Hans death. It just sounds as though he was murdered and with the way Ward has been treated Annalisa recently just makes he seem all the more guilty in my eyes. What do you think?

Abbi Oh my goodness yes I love these books!

I know! He is such an amazing character! And I totally agree with everything you said about him! With each thing he does I like him more and more! I also love how even though he's not used to work and it's extremely hard, he doesn't give up at all!

Yeah I'm pretty positive that Ward is responsible for Hans death!

Idette's husband is despicable! To expect a 17 year old to be able to suddenly manage a house and 5 children and then call her lazy when it takes her a bit to figure it out and then to hit her for disagreeing! Ugh I want to smack him!

I can't imagine living in a time/place where you just have to marry whomever your father picks for you with any opinion at all! And then to be treated as slightly above cattle!

I think it's so cute how protective Uri is of Annalisa!

I was really curious when Matthias told Carl not to reveal who he was or else Annalisa's father would kill him but I did not guess that Carl's father was responsible for the death of Eric! I can somewhat accept when rich people think they are above the poorer people since that's just they way society was-even though I still hate it-but when they don't even care whether their workers live or die I get so mad!

message 4: by Megan, ☘I Lost My Shoe ☘ (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sorry about the delay!

I agree with everything you said in your comment about Idette's husband - he is horrible!

I know, I can't either. It would be one thing if the father was looking for the man most suited to his daughter, one he was very sure would make her happy and treat her well, but that obviously isn't what Annalisa's father is concerned about in her future husband. I think it is absolutely terrible to force someone to marry for financial reasons.

I love how Uri protects Annalisa, it is so adorable!

I agree with everything you said in your last paragraph!

I love how Annalisa tells Gretchen fairy tales even though she doesn't believe that happily ever after stories are realistic.

I love how Carl is teaching Gretchen English - so sweet!

I am concerned what will happen is Ward does discover Carl's true identity, I hope he doesn't find out but that Carl tells everyone on his own.

Abbi I like that too!

Yeah that's adorable!

That worries me too! I'm hoping that Carl tells everyone too but I'm afraid that something bad's gonna happen with that!

The part when they thought Carl was the groom and tried to have the wedding cracked me up!

I really like how Carl is not this perfect hero that just bursts in and saves the day but rather he has to learn practically everything. And I love how he does try to learn everything!

I'm really worried about the Typhoid! I wonder who of Annalisa's family has it and if they are going to die, and if it will spread?

I think it's adorable how Carl pretends to be a horse for Gretchen and calls her princess!

message 6: by Megan, ☘I Lost My Shoe ☘ (new) - rated it 4 stars

Me too! Though I am glad they didn't get married then, part of me wishes they did. I can't wait to see how they wind up getting together. :)

Yes! That makes him all the more endearing!

I am concerned about that too! I can't imagine being able to know that someone in my family is sick, but not being able to know exactly who it is - that would just be nerve-wracking!

Me too! Love it!

I love how Carl figured out a way to make making maple syrup easier for Annalisa. And her reaction when she walked in on him testing it out!

Abbi I know! I can't wait either!

Yeah that was cool!

Is it just me or does dandelion jelly sound gross?!

Can you think of anything else? Cause I'm out of things!

message 8: by Megan, ☘I Lost My Shoe ☘ (new) - rated it 4 stars

Not just you, it sounds gross to me too!

I can't think of anything else either! When do you think you'll be down with the second half? I want to start it right now, but I have to finish a book for a team challenge:( So I probably won't be able to start it until Saturday.

Abbi I'll probably at least start it tonight and then I'm pretty busy tomorrow so I'll most likely finish it tomorrow night. But whenever you can get to it is fine!

message 10: by Megan, ☘I Lost My Shoe ☘ (new) - rated it 4 stars

Okay, thanks! :)

message 11: by Abbi (new) - rated it 5 stars

Abbi Well I finished last night but wasn't able to get on until now-sorry!

Oh my goodness what a second half!

I was really surprised to discover that Uri was the one who killed Hans! I was entirely convinced that it was Ward!

I loved how Carl acted with Sophie! It was so completely adorable and made me love his character even more than I already did!

I was really glad Carl got to be the one to reveal who he really was though the consequences were bad. I was really afraid that Peter would actually shoot him and was glad that Annalisa stepped in.

message 12: by Megan, ☘I Lost My Shoe ☘ (new) - rated it 4 stars

Yes it was!

I was so sure it was Ward too...until page 306, with Uri reaction when Annalisa said "We all saw what he did to Hans." - then I was pretty sure it was going to be Uri. I was glad though that Uri didn't mean to kill him, just teach him a lesson.

Me too!

I was glad he did it himself too. I really didn't expect Annalisa's father to get that angry! He had come to know Carl and I thought he somewhat liked him, so it was surprising to me that he not only still got that angry towards him, but refused for the longest time to see that Carl was different than his father.

I wasn't surprised when Carl paid off both of Annalisa's loans, but I still thought it was so sweet.

Wow! That fire was horrible! And where Carl, Annalisa and the girls went for shelter, with the possibility that they might either suffocating or be boiled alive, that was terrifying! And what kind of funny is that they probably could have stayed in the barn and survived, as that was barely touched - but of course they didn't know that would be the case.

I wonder what happened to Ward. When he said "My horse is fast and will be able to outrun the fire. If not, I will bury myself in a field." I couldn't believe he said that - who buries themselves in a field? That sounds really dangerous to me. Either you won't be able to dig deep enough so that you will stay cool and so either burn or get boiled. Or the dirt could become too thick above you and you can't get out. I'm glad he wasn't around to bother Annalisa anymore, but I wish there would have been a way to know what happened to him.

I don't know about you, but I thought the ending was very abrupt. I didn't care for how it jumped from Peter taking Uri home to months later finding out he died and that Annalisa's father up to that point still hadn't accepted Carl. Even the last scene, with him calling Carl a good man, didn't make it very clear, to me, whether the family was going to start being close again. I guess I'm just a person that likes some things to be very clear.

message 13: by Abbi (new) - rated it 5 stars

Abbi Same here!

Yeah that was crazy and terrifying! Haha I hadn't thought of that but you're right!

I was curious about what happened to him too. And as for the burying himself, it's actually a commonly recommended way to survive a forest fire. If you find a place with no vegetation then there will be nothing for the fire to eat so if you can get under it then it will just pass over, if you have water you are supposed to wet your clothes but if you don't then you cover yourself with a thin layer of dirt. It sounds rather logical to me though I would have chosen to go in the well rather than risk it!

I was fine with the ending personally. For me I already figured Uri for dead since there was no way he could survive that especially in that time, so waiting to officially put it in seemed fine for me. And as for Peter I knew it would still take him a while and I think that his comment showed enough of a start that you could guess that he'd come around. Though I can see your point too!

I thought it was nice that Dirk married Eleanor since even though he was kinda annoying when he was trying to marry Annalisa he still seemed like he would be a decent guy.

I think it's so cute how Carl wants their baby to be a girl! Most guys in that time were desperate for sons but not only does he adore his adopted daughters but he wants more!

Even though they weren't extremely close I felt bad for Annalisa when she found out her mother had died especially so close to the time she was to give birth. And I thought it was kinda funny/cute that Carl had to help with the delivery of Sophie.

I was kinda surprised when Ward's man tried to burn Carl alive in the barn and I was really glad that Annalisa was able to find the strength to get him out in time! I thought it was especially cruel how he came in and taunted Annalisa before doing it!

message 14: by Megan, ☘I Lost My Shoe ☘ (new) - rated it 4 stars

I had never heard of doing that before, but with the way you explained it it does sound like a logical thing to do if you have no other option. Like you, that wouldn't have been my first choice!

Dirk did seem like he would be a good husband and I was glad to hear that he found someone else. He seemed to be a little bit stuck with the old ways, but not overly a bad guy - at least I hope so for Eleanor's sake. It would be terrible if he wound up being just like Idette's husband!

I know, I loved that too!

I felt bad for her too! That, to me, would be one of the worst things, living so close to your family and them not only being so ill that they are in quarantine but that you don't learn of one of their deaths until after the funeral - I can't even imagine that! I loved how Carl had to help too and agree it was both cute and funny. :)

That scene was frightful! It's one thing to murder someone, but to be willing to burn them alive - well that's just despicable! I was so worried for Carl, Annalisa and Sophie, especially Sophie because when Annalisa left her to help Carl I was worried that Ward's man might still be around and threaten to do something to her! So I was extremely relieved that Annalisa had the strength to get Carl out of the barn and that everyone was alright!

When Carl first realizes that Gretchen isn't in the house and asks Annalisa where she is and she says "She's gone." I just knew what was going to happen in the next few lines, even so I very much enjoyed them because again it really showed how much he loves and cares about her.

I was shocked when Idette suggested that Annalisa try to conceive Carl's baby as a way to make him stay.

When they are helping Leonard with his harvest, I was surprised with the way Leonard grabs Idette and tells her to get back to work and accuses her of being idle - when it sounds as though she had been running around all day long! Makes me wonder if his first wife died of exhaustion, with the way he expects Idette to work every single moment and not take a moment's rest or time to enjoy herself. I loved how Carl stood up to Leonard and told him he didn't deserve a wife.

message 15: by Abbi (new) - rated it 5 stars

Abbi Me too!

I know! I was too!

Ugh he made me so mad! I couldn't believe the things he said and did to Idette especially in front of everyone like that! And I totally loved how Carl stepped in!

I have to say I was a little frustrated that Dirk came right when he did! I was really hoping that Carl and Annalisa would just be able to get married though I knew with how much we had left of the book that it wouldn't work like that.

I loved the scene when Annalisa kisses Carl's hand it was so sweet and romantic without being improper!

message 16: by Megan, ☘I Lost My Shoe ☘ (new) - rated it 4 stars

So was I! Why, oh, why couldn't Dirk have come just one day later! But, yeah, I had a feeling that it wouldn't happen either.

That was sweet!

Well, I can't think of anything else. How about you?

message 17: by Abbi (new) - rated it 5 stars

Abbi I can't either! Which book do you want to read next?

message 18: by Megan, ☘I Lost My Shoe ☘ (new) - rated it 4 stars

Either Love on a Dime or Rekindled .

message 19: by Abbi (new) - rated it 5 stars

Abbi Let's do Love on a Dime! Halves would be 1-14, 15-27

message 20: by Megan, ☘I Lost My Shoe ☘ (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sounds good.