Gillifans discussion

Global Gilli

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Danni, Spoogegirl / Mrs Brown (new)

Danni | 136 comments Mod
If we are to form a strategic plan to rescue Gilli when and if the need arises, then we need to know the location of all Gillifans worldwide.

Also, here is your essay topic for this thread:

The prose in Gillibran Brown's masterpiece Fun with Dick and Shane is so quintessentially British that the series is experienced on an infinite number of diverse levels depending on the whereabouts or nationality of the reader. Discuss.

message 2: by Danni, Spoogegirl / Mrs Brown (new)

Danni | 136 comments Mod
Btw, I'm in the south of England. I know Macky is oop north so possibly could be our best bet to call to action if a state of emergency arises. Pinpointing Gilli's exact whereabouts could be difficult :(

message 3: by Danni, Spoogegirl / Mrs Brown (new)

Danni | 136 comments Mod
Julia is first one to get her essay homework in (without even meaning to) so she gets five house points in the form of hobnobs. Well done Julia!

Here is her well considered essay on the global appeal of Gilli:

Julia said: "You know, this brings up a burning linguistic sort of question, actually.... I was wondering while I was reading these books, how much the experience would be affected based on whether the reader was English (or at least British) vs American or Aussie or Kiwi etc.

When I read Gilli's prose, in my head, the words were American accented. But when I read the dialogue, the words "sounded" Brit to me. And the whole exposition is SO unmistakably British...that was part of what made some scenes to hilarious to me, an American reader.

We Americans find British humor a whole sub genre unto itself. Sometimes, it's almost like reading a foreign language...I keep popping up to bang out "chuffing" and "chippy" on Google, lest I get the oh-so-wrong idea and wind up with my brain twisted into an episodic pretzel. For me, personally, I find it harder (at least initially) to see the prat in some characters because their elegant Britishness conveys an inherent assumed poshness that an Englishman or Scotsman would find absurd. I, perhaps, gave Dick and Shane more leeway initially than I should because surely they were too classy to be such knobs.

Uh huh.

I ADORE British humor and surely some of the appeal of these books was their spot on feeling of a "day in the life" of a British guy...and effervescent quality that only words like "tin" and "roger" and "bin" and "it all went Pete Tong" can bring. I try to imagine the same book written by an American guy and I wonder if it would have been quite as funny.

So...how many Brits do we have here? Just curious. If we're going develop a cunning plan to take Gilli global, it's good to know where we start from.

message 4: by Macky (new)

Macky (mactut) | 142 comments I think we should all put our hands in our pockets and splash out for a GPS ( Gilli positioning system) ... A Gilli Gilli instead of a TomTom! I'm convinced if we add a thermal imager we might find him by the heat generated from his poor hot red fresh from a spanking bum!!

message 5: by Julia (new)

Julia | 21 comments Macky wrote: "I think we should all put our hands in our pockets and splash out for a GPS ( Gilli positioning system) ... A Gilli Gilli instead of a TomTom! I'm convinced if we add a thermal imager we might fin..."

Would we be having half as much fun if he'd been named...Brad...or George...

message 6: by Tina (new)

Tina (whitemooony) Surely not... :)

message 7: by Annika (new)

Annika (annikac) | 34 comments Why can't I see this topic in my web browser but only on my iPad app? Anybody the same problem.

Well, if It's necessary to ship Gilli out of the country for some time I want him here in Prague. I'm the first who offered so I get him :-D
We should locate Eileen, she has the keys to the house!