Goodreads Authors/Readers discussion

Sirocco, Storm over Land and Sea
This topic is about Sirocco, Storm over Land and Sea
Bulletin Board > FBI Catches Up With Author's Cover Image

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Inge (last edited Jun 10, 2014 02:18PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Inge Borg (goodreadscominge_h_borg) | 48 comments About a year ago, I was searching for a cover for my thriller SIROCCO, Storm over Land and Sea. I wanted a storm scene with a boat and stumbled upon Rembrandt’s The Storm on the Sea of Galilee. Having lived in Boston and being quite familiar with the wonderful Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum, I decided to use a public domain image of that stolen Rembrandt painting. I even made up the clandestine acquisition of it by one of my "bad guys" in my story.

In the foreword, I point to the 1990 audacious art heist and ask that anyone knowing of the whereabouts of this stolen painting contact the authorities or the museum.

Imagine the jolt and delight I got out of hearing the news today about leads the FBI has, if not for the recovery of the stolen art—at least about the identity of the thieves.

I always wished for someone to have picked up my book and to recognize the painting as the very one hanging in his or her “Uncle Guido’s private study.” That really would make my day (and even more so the museum's, I imagine).

By the way, there is a $5 million finders fee for the recovery of all the paintings taken twenty-three years ago to the day (March 18).

Deba (debrahancock) | 5 comments T
This is thrilling

message 3: by B.B. (new)

B.B. Shepherd (bbshepherd) | 27 comments Wow. That's really interesting. How cool!

message 4: by Merri (new)

Merri Melde (theequestrianvagabond) | 3 comments Love it - Sounds like another book in the making!

Inge Borg (goodreadscominge_h_borg) | 48 comments Merri wrote: "Love it - Sounds like another book in the making!"

Debra, B.B. and Merri - appreciate your comments which I just noticed as I haven't been on GR for quite a while.

Yes, indeed, Book 3 (After the Cataclysm) is out, but now, my "bad guy's" art collection is on a REAL ghost ship - the Lyubov Orlova. Of course, the main treasures are the ancient Egyptian golden tablets (the theme that runs through all three books of my "Legends of the Winged Scarab" series.