Action/Adventure Aficionados discussion

Recommendations > Clive Cussler - Favourite Novels

Comments Showing 1-37 of 37 (37 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Vaelin (new)

Vaelin Hi all,

Im about the embark on Skeleton Coast by Clive Cussler.....what are some of your favourite Cussler adventures????

Thanks!

message 2: by Rizwan (last edited Jul 11, 2013 01:10PM) (new)

Rizwan | 274 comments Almost ALL the Cussler novels that I read are more or less my favorite, as I yet to find a "bad" Cussler novel.... So here goes, my top favorites:

1. TREASURE (Hands down my most favorite)
2. NIGHT PROBE! (A VERY different Dirk Pitt novel, less high adventure and more mystery, intrigue, with GREAT characterization & plotting and a very different type of "bad guy")
3. CYCLOPS (I think I've read very few novels that can match the breathless suspense and edge-of-seat thrills of this book)
4. PACIFIC VORTEX!
5. VIXEN 03
6. DRAGON
7. SAHARA
8. VALHALLA RISING
9. INCA GOLD
10. SHOCK WAVE
11. FLOOD TIDE

Haven't yet read RAISE THE TITANIC, DEEP SIX, ATLANTIS FOUND and the Dirk Cussler co-written ones (they're literally on my "very next read" list!)

message 3: by Joe (last edited Mar 21, 2013 03:21PM) (new)

Joe  Noir (goodreadscomgoodreadscomjoe_noir) | 19 comments Great list, Rizwan. My favorite is probably Pacific Vortex! because I liked the earlier setting, and the action. I really think it should have been published first (it was written first, but published sixth, after Night Probe). The first Cussler book I read was Raise The Titanic and it still holds a place on my shelf. Cyclops is also very good. Some people question the novel's realism or accuracy, but, hey, it's fiction! I've read less than half of the Dirk Pitt books, so I have plenty on my to read list. Your list has given me some good ideas. A lot of folks seem to like Inca Gold, but I haven't read that one.

message 4: by Jim (new)

Jim (jimmaclachlan) | 789 comments I thought "Sahara" was fun. I got halfway through the 'Atlantis' one & tossed it, though. Just got ridiculous.

message 5: by Rizwan (new)

Rizwan | 274 comments Oops, forgot INCA GOLD! That was a great book too, and would come in my favorite list before Shock Wave.

I also read almost one-third of Atlantis Found once, but never completed it. Its not like I didn't enjoy it or anything, the story was good, but for some reason, I couldn't concentrate on the plot. I guess the truth is it just didn't have that breathless suspense of the earlier works that I was hoping for. Anyway, one of these days I'll just have to steer myself to the finishing point with this one!

Anyone read the newer series, like Oregon Files or NUMA Files? How are they compared to Dirk Pitt novels?

message 6: by Janey (new)

Janey | 158 comments I've never read a Clive Cussler book before....I know shocking!!!

Do you have to read the Dirk Pitt books in order?

message 7: by Rizwan (new)

Rizwan | 274 comments Nope...they are almost completely disconnected from one another (other than a few character relations), so you can start from anywhere, I did too. But please, DO start with older novels (before 2000s). Those are classics.

message 8: by The Pirate Ghost, Long John Silvers Wanna-be (new)

The Pirate Ghost (Formerly known as the Curmudgeon) (pirateghost) | 5327 comments Mod
My first was Raise The Titanic!. I read it, enjoyed it and didn't even realize that it was a Clive Clive Cussler Dirk Pit adventure.

It's a good one.

Then, when reading A Cussler book on porpuse I loved Treasure and I have to agree with Inca Gold.

I liked Sahara too.

message 9: by Janey (new)

Janey | 158 comments Thanks Rizwan and Hugh. I'll definitely add some of your recommendations to my To Be Read list.

message 10: by Wes (new)

Wes (wesmoore1) | 21 comments I'm with Jim and "I,Curmudgeon" about Sahara. I'm still amazed that Hollywood was able to make a condensed and coherent movie from the long but compelling book. I have recently scored a tall stack of Cussler novels at a yard sale, so I am gearing up for a deep dive into this author. However, I've just downloaded "The Blood Gospel" by James Rollins onto my Kindle, so I will knock that one off first. Normally I stay on top of Rollin's latest, but I recently realized that I am two books behind. I will fix that problem without further delay.

message 11: by Eileen (new)

Eileen Janey, I'm with you, I haven't read any either. It might me a good idea to have a Clive Cussler monthly read.

message 12: by Janey (new)

Janey | 158 comments Eileen wrote: "Janey, I'm with you, I haven't read any either. It might me a good idea to have a Clive Cussler monthly read."

That would be a great idea :-)

message 13: by Eileen (new)

Eileen When its time for July suggestions, I'll suggest it for the July group read and see if more people agree.

message 14: by Kevin (new)

Kevin Blitz (blitzkevin) | 5 comments I have read every book that he wrote or co-author. I live reading him and the first one I ever read was inca gold it was a great one.

message 15: by [deleted user] (new)

My first Cussler book was Shockwave. Then I started them in order. I searched and discovered that Pacific Vortex was actally the first in the series so that was where I started. I've read all the way up to Night Probe, but then got distracted when a friend suggested James Rollins.

I love Dirk Pitt and Al. The thing I enjoy about series like this is the introduction of the characters and how they grow together as the series progresses.

I will read more, and in order...eventually. :)

message 16: by Lance (new)

Lance Charnes (lcharnes) | 223 comments Eileen wrote: "When its time for July suggestions, I'll suggest it for the July group read and see if more people agree."

If you do, try to steer it toward the early books in the series, before Cussler started just punching them out and unmoored them from any pretense of the real world. I gave up on them after the third or fourth time Pitt's congresswoman-girlfriend was kidnapped and/or stripped and threatened with rape/murder.

message 17: by Wes (new)

Wes (wesmoore1) | 21 comments My humble, unsolicited opinion: I think Lance is on the right track.

message 18: by Dave (new)

Dave Edlund (dedlund) Me too, I concur with Lance. Raise the Titanic got me hooked on this genre back in about 1980--and I still love it! All of the early Cussler novels are all time favs of mine. The scene in Deep Six where the civil war re-enactors square off with the bad guys is epic. But for the past several years, they just aren't as exciting. If you want to read classic Cussler, avoid the tag-team books he has been putting his name on.

message 19: by George (new)

George Medina | 1 comments Back in 1976, a local author came to speak to our high school English class. I didn'tbpay much attention...he said something about an adventure novel about an iceberg..yada yada....and that he was working on some book about the Titanic...I was only paying attention to the girl in the third row.... A few years later, I saw Raise the Titanic in Walden's bookstore, and thought "Hey that's the dude...". That was my introduction to Clive Cussler, and I've been hooked ever since. I've read everyone of his Dirk Pitt, Kurt Ausin, and Fargo stories.

message 20: by Henry (last edited Jul 14, 2013 09:37AM) (new)

Henry (henoir99) | 20 comments George - you should read the Oregon Files series. I have read most of Clive's work but think these are the best. Lead character Juan Cablrillo is his best Hero to date, a sea based mercenary version of James bond complete with enough tech and gadgets to make Q jealous

message 21: by William (new)

William Wygle | 5 comments I'm having a hard time getting into any of Cussler's books. Any ideas on what to try or should just give up?

message 22: by Rizwan (last edited Jul 14, 2013 11:31PM) (new)

Rizwan | 274 comments William wrote: "I'm having a hard time getting into any of Cussler's books. Any ideas on what to try or should just give up?"

If you want a very quick read with ridiculous action-adventure and nailbiting suspense, without relying too much on characterization, realism and plausibility, I say go with Cyclops. You can't do much better than Cyclops when it comes to "shits happening very fast one after another without any break". Treasure & Sahara are also very good in that regard, though with a MORE complicated storyline.

And if you want a relatively slower paced but realistically detailed read with a better characterization and a very different-type story with more focus on mystery, mindwork and intrigue without much impossible action-adventure (they're here too, just not on the same level as the other books), Night Probe! is without a doubt the perfect one. Also Pacific Vortex! is great in this type of Alistair Maclean-esque storyline too.

message 23: by Patricia (new)

Patricia (pattipunkin) | 267 comments William wrote: "I'm having a hard time getting into any of Cussler's books. Any ideas on what to try or should just give up?"

Cussler is to be read for the story. It is NOT to be read for style. The writing will not shine in any of them.

I repeat (ad nauseum [or somethin like that]), that the cowriter makes all the difference. The styles are completely different.

The MamaMugeon--teaching herself to type again (and spell) after a stroke

message 24: by The Pirate Ghost, Long John Silvers Wanna-be (new)

The Pirate Ghost (Formerly known as the Curmudgeon) (pirateghost) | 5327 comments Mod
Patricia wrote: "The MamaMugeon--teaching herself to type again (and spell) after a stroke "

..."

And doing quite well. (if better and better counts.)

Luv Mudgeon.

message 25: by Vaelin (new)

Vaelin Currently reading Iceberg....cannot stop laughing at Dirk Pitt posing as a gay man/artist to fool Rondheim....old man Cussler doesn't hold back any punches on his opinion towards homosexuals

message 26: by The Pirate Ghost, Long John Silvers Wanna-be (new)

Vaelin wrote: "Currently reading Iceberg....cannot stop laughing at Dirk Pitt posing as a gay man/artist to fool Rondheim....old man Cussler doesn't hold back any punches on his opinion towards homosexuals"

Yeah.... it was also written to be ahead of it's time, and real time has passed it by... in more ways than one. I wonder if the old fuddy duddy (Cussler, not Pitt) has changed his stance any?

message 27: by D.L. (new)

D.L. Thomas | 21 comments Night Probe has long been a favorite of mine - perhaps because of childhood stories of a train in a nearby river. Inca Gold is right up there too.

I know many people disagree, but I really like the Fargo series as well. Lost Empire is probably my favorite there.

message 28: by Feliks (last edited Mar 26, 2014 04:23PM) (new)

Feliks (dzerzhinsky) For me, Cussler jumped-the-shark at (or around) book 6-7-8.

That's how badly I think he ran aground. I dismiss the entire rest of his output.

But this is not to say I don't like him. I very much do (or rather, did).

I think he revived the action-thriller genre with 'Titanic'. He brought in neat-o, James Bond-film technology/style and made thrillers fun again. But he just didn't have a long enough of a 'window-of-opportunity' to practice his craft before the real-world caught up with him. Now he seems plebian. Sophomoric.

I read his early work avidly; but as it wore on ...as the world rapidly became techno-geeky...really just severe credibility-problems crop up in his storylines. They just can't compete with fast-moving reality; it causes a really grotesque mess.

To hear me expand on these thoughts further, see my review of 'Titanic':
https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

I trust you will agree that I present him with a fair mixture of both my esteem and my scorn.

message 29: by Brian (new)

Brian | 8 comments As for reading order of his book I would read them in order as it gives a nice perk to hear him mention things and or people from the other books you have read. as for the Oregon Files and the numa files I haven't really been able to get into the kurt Austin books but the Oregon novel are fantastic, I also just started reading thr fargo series and so far I am enjoying it.

message 30: by Lisa P, My weekend is all booked up! (new)

Lisa P | 1965 comments Mod
Brian wrote: "As for reading order of his book I would read them in order as it gives a nice perk to hear him mention things and or people from the other books you have read. as for the Oregon Files and the numa..."

Good to know Brian...I have only read the Dirk Pitt Series and have been wondering which series I should try next.

message 31: by Brian (new)

Brian | 8 comments Pitt was what got me into the action adventure books, and I have a lot of new ones since discovering him

message 32: by Lisa P, My weekend is all booked up! (new)

Lisa P | 1965 comments Mod
Brian wrote: "Pitt was what got me into the action adventure books, and I have a lot of new ones since discovering him"

Me too...Clive Cussler was definitely one of the earliest authors I read that really got me interested in action/adventure.

message 33: by Feliks (new)

Feliks (dzerzhinsky) He turned the whole genre around.

message 34: by Terry (new)

Terry Dicken (tmterry) | 12 comments Have to agree with Brian. Read the books in order. They are books to just enjoy the adventure. You can't worry about if these things can really happen. Just enjoy the story. I have read every one of his books. They are all great stories. Love the inclusion of some history as well. Really like the Fargos. Enjoy!

message 35: by Evan (new)

Evan Phillips | 9 comments Love, love, love Sahara. It is my hands down favorite. I was so disappointed when they didn't stake the bad guy down in the desert in the movie and then give him the poison water! I don't think I've ever disliked a Pitt book, and The Oregon series is great too. I've also enjoyed Isaac Bell, but found the Fargo and Numa Series a little harder to get into for some reason.

message 36: by Roger (new)

Roger Cave | 18 comments There are just so many of Cussler's books I've loved over the years, although I never took to the Fargo books. I do like the Oregon Files and especially the Isaac Bell novels.
Here are some of my favourite ones:

Sahara
Shock Wave
The Chase
Flood Tide
Serpent
The Wrecker
The Spy
Ghost Ship

message 37: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) I love reading Cussler - it's hard to single one or two out. i have to say the first Isaac Bell stands out to me.