Sherlock Holmes Mystery writer club discussion

Favorie Character Quotes > What is your favorite Sherlock Holmes quote and create a new version of tthe old quote! After all we are writers :)?

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Sirherbertsneakies Hebert (mrsneakies) | 10 comments Mod
I'd say this with my modern twist:
"When you eliminate the impossible you are stuck with possible."
Your books will sell and be loved.
When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever... (#3)
"You will not apply my precept," he said, shaking his head. "How often have I said to you that when you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth? We know that he did not come through the door, the window, or the chimney. We also know that he could not have been concealed in the room, as there is no concealment possible. When, then, did he come?"
The Sign of the Four, ch. 6 (1890)
Sherlock Holmes in The Sign of the Four (Doubleday p. 111)

message 2: by Innaya (new)

Innaya | 1 comments my favorite is:
"My mind rebels at stagnation. Give me problems, give me work. give me the most abstruse cryptogram, or the most intricate analysis and i am in my own proper atmosphere.I can dispense them with artificial stimulants.But i abhor the dull routine of existence. i crave for mental exhalation."

message 3: by Blacky (new)

Blacky | 6 comments favorite quote:
"I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window here. Was ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the duncoloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material?"
— Arthur Conan Doyle (The Complete Sherlock Holmes)