Looking for Alaska Looking for Alaska discussion

Looking for Alaska

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Mady (new)

Mady Klein "I turned then and used my hips and waist to roll three times, until I came ashore near a ratty green towel. They'd left me a towel. How thoughtful."

The main character, Pudge (his real name is Miles) has arrived at a boarding school in Alabama. He used to live in Florida. It's a tradition at the boarding school that people will throw the new kids into the lake, but with Pudge they did something different. They duct taped his arms to his body and his legs together, so he couldn't move, then dumped him in the lake. He could have drowned. He doesn't know why they duct taped him because he didn't even know the people that did it.

message 2: by Mady (new)

Mady Klein "But while you were looking out the window, you missed the chance to explore the equally interesting Buddhist belief in being present for every facet of your daily life, of being truly be present in this class. And then, when it's over, be present out there."

Pudge's teacher, Dr. Hyde, got angry at Pudge for looking out the window during class. Pudge daydreams and gets lost in his thoughts a lot. After this "lecture" from Dr. Hyde, Pudge learns to pay attention more in class. His education seems more important to it now and he's taking it more seriously. He also respects Dr. Hyde more and looks up to him.

Sarahfnm Mady wrote: ""But while you were looking out the window, you missed the chance to explore the equally interesting Buddhist belief in being present for every facet of your daily life, of being truly be present i..."

Dr. Hyde made me stop and think as to whether I've had a teacher like him. It's also made me reflect upon how I can change my own teaching practices to be a Dr. Hyde.

What do you think his name, Dr. Hyde symbolizes as the name Hyde instantly made me think of Dr. Jeckyl and Mr. Hyde. Hmmm.

message 4: by Mady (new)

Mady Klein "We should have stopped her."

This very short quote from Pudge is important in the story. Alaska was drunk and she got into her car and drove, and the others didn't think to stop her. Alaska ended up dying in the crash. Everyone who was there feels horrible about not stopping her, but especially Colonel and Pudge. For at least a week after her death, they didn't get much sleep and couldn't forgive themselves. I'm anxious to see what will happen next in the story.

message 5: by Mady (new)

Mady Klein "The whole passage was underlined in bleeding, water-soaked black ink. But there was another ink, this one a crisp blue, post-flood, and an arrow led from 'How will I ever get out of this labyrinth!' to a margin quote written in her loop-heavy cursive. 'Straight & Fast.'"

Before Alaska died, some kids flooded her room and many of her books were ruined. She had added something in after the flood, that said "Straight & Fast." When she died, she was so drunk & when she hit the other care, she didn't even swerve. Colonel is getting suspicious that Alaska might have committed suicide. Pudge isn't as convinced, but it's still a possibility.