Let's Talk About Julie Garwood discussion

Heroes and Heroines > The Sweet Heroine

Comments Showing 1-36 of 36 (36 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Winter Frost Queen) , Garwood Makes Me Smile (new)

Danielle The Book Huntress (Winter Frost Queen)  (gatadelafuente) | 116 comments Mod
Julie Garwood has cornered the market on writing the lovable, sweet heroine. She seems to write this character better than any other HR writer, IMO. What you think about that?

Are you normally a fan of this type of heroine or do you make an exception for Julie Garwood?

When can a sweet heroine become too sweet for your tastes?

message 2: by Lisa Kay, Lyon's Lady (last edited Mar 18, 2013 06:59PM) (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 1033 comments Mod
I do like sweet heroines! I know, I know...Mary Sues... but sometimes I get a little tired of constant Kick-A$$ Heroines.

However, I will admit that I let JG get away with things I wouldn't allow other authors. JG just does it so much better; adds just the right level of humor. And she sets things up better. LOL!

message 3: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Winter Frost Queen) , Garwood Makes Me Smile (new)

Danielle The Book Huntress (Winter Frost Queen)  (gatadelafuente) | 116 comments Mod
I think it's very hard to dislike her heroines. They are just plain good women.

I like kick-butt heroines myself, LK, but sometimes you want a heroine who's different from that.

message 4: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Winter Frost Queen) , Garwood Makes Me Smile (new)

Are there other authors you can think of who write sweet heroines well?

I'd suggest Jodi Thomas, although they aren't quite like JG's heroines.

message 5: by Lisa Kay, Lyon's Lady (new)

I agree. I do like kick-butting, but sometimes it is neat to see how a sweet woman gets to that point.

message 6: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Winter Frost Queen) , Garwood Makes Me Smile (new)

And women can be strong in different ways too. I think JG's heroines are very strong and they usually get exactly what they want/need in life.

message 7: by Lisa Kay, Lyon's Lady (new)

Very true, Lady D. They are very strong.

message 8: by Lisa Kay, Lyon's Lady (new)

They just don't go around throwing knives at people. Oh, wait. That did just happen in The Lion's Lady. LOL!

message 9: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Winter Frost Queen) , Garwood Makes Me Smile (new)

Well, Christina straddles that kickbutt/sweet line very well. I think Jamie from The Bride was an expert archer, or am I getting the heroines mixed up?

message 10: by Lisa Kay, Lyon's Lady (new)

Oh! I can't remember, but yes, one of them was an expert at archery.

message 11: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Winter Frost Queen) , Garwood Makes Me Smile (new)

It might be Brenna from The Wedding, now that I think about it.

message 12: by Jewel (new)

Jewel | 350 comments Yep, I think it was Brenna, there was a scene when she wanted to prove it and walked right in the middle of the training ground!!

I think Johanna from Saving Grace is JG strongest Herione, she goes through a lot in her life, and she made all those big highlanders learn table manners ;)

message 13: by Jewel (new)

Jewel | 350 comments I like Kick-butt Heroine as well, but when reading HR I think I enjoy the smart, doesn't back down, you don't scare me, curious type ;)

message 14: by Lisa Kay, Lyon's Lady (new)

True.

message 15: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Winter Frost Queen) , Garwood Makes Me Smile (new)

I think it's crucial to make sure that the heroine fits her time period in historical. I am a stickler for that, so I feel that JG's heroine do feel like women who would have the strength reasonable for women of their times.

message 16: by Lisa Kay, Lyon's Lady (new)

I concur!

message 17: by Pamela(AllHoney), Brodick is MINE! (last edited Mar 19, 2013 06:38AM) (new)

Pamela(AllHoney) (pamelap) | 2159 comments Mod
I love the sweet heroine! And I also agree that Ms Garwood does them best. But they are not weak by any means. I think a woman can be sweet and strong at the same time.

message 18: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Winter Frost Queen) , Garwood Makes Me Smile (new)

I agree, Pamela. And sometimes strength is enduring because physical violence is not an appropriate response.

message 19: by Lisa Kay, Lyon's Lady (new)

Actually, when you think about it, being gentle takes greater strength.

message 20: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Winter Frost Queen) , Garwood Makes Me Smile (new)

It does! It's hard to not do what you want all the time, especially when you want to act inappropriately.

message 21: by Giulia (new)

Giulia | 143 comments I've always read Julie Garwood heriones as strong. Sure, they aren't kick butt, but they are stubborn, stand up for themselves and their man (and small children and animals sometimes) and they don't submit to the will of their sometimes domineering husbands. They always manage to forge a partnership. So in that respect, to me they've always been strong female characters. But of course, they are sweet and gentle while doing this. Even when throwing pottery.

message 22: by Pamela(AllHoney), Brodick is MINE! (new)

Yes, they are strong. I think JG's writes some of the best heroines out there.

message 23: by Giulia (new)

Giulia | 143 comments Johanna and Jaime are two of my favourites.

message 24: by Pamela(AllHoney), Brodick is MINE! (new)

Great ones! I think my two most fave are Madelyne and Gillian but I really love them all.

message 25: by Giulia (new)

Giulia | 143 comments Madelyne...from Gentle Warrior? That book threw me for a loop.

message 26: by Pamela(AllHoney), Brodick is MINE! (new)

No, she's from Honor's Splendour

I think Elizabeth is Gentle Warrior.

message 27: by Giulia (new)

Giulia | 143 comments Okay, I only have vague recollections of Honor's Splendour for some reason. I think I'm getting her confused with the heroine who warmed the hero's feet. Was that Madelyne?

message 28: by Pamela(AllHoney), Brodick is MINE! (new)

Yes, Madelyne is the feet warmer ☺

message 29: by Giulia (new)

Giulia | 143 comments Ah, okay! Thought that was her! Those two got on my nerves with all of their shouting. Great story, but lots of yelling. Caine and Jade were also big yellers.

message 30: by Pamela(AllHoney), Brodick is MINE! (new)

LOL I guess she did do a bit of shouting.

message 31: by Giulia (new)

Giulia | 143 comments Just a wee bit ;)

message 32: by Lisa Kay, Lyon's Lady (new)

Yes, shouting was weird... and then, to me, it got funny. I was like WTH?

message 33: by Giulia (new)

Giulia | 143 comments It was funny, but it was kinda distracting too lol

message 34: by Lisa Kay, Lyon's Lady (new)

I remember doing the disbelieving laugh/chuckle.

message 35: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Winter Frost Queen) , Garwood Makes Me Smile (new)

Giulia~Bubbles wrote: "I've always read Julie Garwood heriones as strong. Sure, they aren't kick butt, but they are stubborn, stand up for themselves and their man (and small children and animals sometimes) and they don'..."

Well said!

message 36: by Giulia (new)

Giulia | 143 comments Thank you! :)

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Honor's Splendour (other topics)
The Lion's Lady (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Jodi Thomas (other topics)