Sidney Memorial Public Library discussion

General Discussion > Food Books

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ben (new)

Ben Lainhart (bclainhart) Alyssa wrote: "As anyone who knows me in person can vouch, I love food. But I also love learning about food, the food industry, and how to
Do-it-yourself.

Any suggestions for food related books? No cookbooks pl..."

Hmmm...all of the food books that I read are usually centered around vegetarianism/veganism. So, I'm probably not a good one to give suggestions on this topic.

message 2: by Ben (new)

Ben Lainhart (bclainhart) I read Eating Animals when it came out and thought that it was a really good portrayal of the issue. What I like about Foer is his evenness. Eating Animals isn't the scree that some books on this topic can be. Instead, Foer sets about his task from a place of understanding - his first anecdote is about his Russian grandmother's chicken soup. By discussing the culture around meat-eating and the fact that it doesn't have to be an "all or nothing" decision right away, Eating Animals is a good introduction to the ethics, health, and environmental issues behind the topic.

Another recent book on this topic is Why We Love Dogs, Eat Pigs, and Wear Cows: An Introduction to Carnism: The Belief System That Enables Us to Eat Some Animals and Not Others by Melanie Joy. Again, this isn't strictly a "food book" like you asked about, but it overlaps that category.

As for food industry, Fast Food Nation: The Dark Side of the All-American Meal is a classic. I usually find most stuff about food by Michael Pollan to be good. I also liked Mark Bittman's Food Matters.

Oh, and the ultra-distance runner Scott Jurek released a book last year called Eat and Run: My Unlikely Journey to Ultramarathon Greatness that was really interesting - especially if you're into running and veganism as I am.

message 3: by Jen (new)

Jen Mech | 12 comments What about Julie & Julia by Julie Powell? They made a movie from it a few years ago.

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/13...

message 4: by Carissa (new)

Carissa (cneubert) | 2 comments Alyssa wrote: "As anyone who knows me in person can vouch, I love food. But I also love learning about food, the food industry, and how to
Do-it-yourself.

Any suggestions for food related books? No cookbooks pl..."

"The Omnivore's Dilemma" by Michael Pollan was fascinating and has changed the way I source protein for my family. I haven't bought beef or pork in a grocery store in three years.

message 5: by Ben (new)

Ben Lainhart (bclainhart) Alyssa wrote: "I loved Scott Jurek's book! I liked it because it sounded natural - not a super polished story but actually his thoughts and experiences. A runner friend loaned it to me last summer and even though..."

Yeah, reading that book made me think that Scott Jurek is just a really good guy. It'd be fun to hang out with him.

I have not read Animal, Vegetable, Miracle. It's one of those books that I'd like to read but just haven't done so yet. Maybe soon....

message 6: by Dawn (new)

Dawn Rogers Kroll | 10 comments Four fish / by Paul Greenberg

message 7: by Dawn (new)

Dawn Rogers Kroll | 10 comments I'm always happy to recommend a good book, Alyssa!