Barnes & Noble Nook discussion

DO NOT share books illegally in this group

Comments Showing 1-32 of 32 (32 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jamie (JK) (new)

Jamie (JK) (eimajtl) A few threads have been closed by Goodreads staff for illegal sharing. You cannot link to sites that allow you to share books outside of the Barnes and Noble Terms of Service.

Basically, if it is a file sharing site, do not link to it here. Do not make threads telling people to email you for books. If this kind of behavior continues the group could be deleted - per Goodreads staff

I will be going through the eBook Lending folder and deleting all threads that foster illegal book sharing tomorrow - 3/19/2013.

message 2: by Jamie (JK) (new)

Jamie (JK) (eimajtl) If you want to have threads about books that are a part of the LendMe program, that is fine.

message 3: by Christina (new)

Christina I, for one, have not been sharing books illegally from this group. Every thread I have put my email on has been so I could get Nook friends to use the LendMe option on my Nook.

message 4: by Marylene (new)

Marylene | 41 comments ok. Good. Me too. I was a bit confused for a minute there.

message 5: by Jamie (JK) (last edited Mar 18, 2013 07:26PM) (new)

Jamie (JK) (eimajtl) That's totally cool, but the thread deleted by GR staff was for SugarSync... which is a big no-no.

I'm not going to go crazy and delete everything. It'll just be anything with links to sites like Sugarsync or Dropbox, anything for file sharing and the like.

And I don't mean to make this sound like everyone is doing it, or even knowingly doing it. I just want this to get settled as soon as possible so there is no risk of the group being deleted.

message 6: by Christina (new)

Christina Thanks for letting me know.

message 7: by Lilah (new)

Lilah Chavez (lilypadchavez408) | 55 comments i thought SS was Cloud storage awww technology you got me all twisted lol

message 8: by Jeanine (new)

Jeanine (jjelizalde) I never figured out SugarSync, so all of mine is Nook Lending.

message 9: by Lilah (new)

Lilah Chavez (lilypadchavez408) | 55 comments so did I, Never figured out SS, it kept downloading in French :-/

message 10: by willaful, dedicated nookworm (new)

willaful | 414 comments Mod
Sharing ebooks with people other than through the official publisher lending programs is illegal. (Except in some limited cases -- Courtney Milan specifies in the licenses that her self-published ebooks are sharable, for instance. But that's quite unusual.)

message 11: by willaful, dedicated nookworm (new)

Dori wrote: "I never realized that and always thought that if the author had not specifically put on DRM on their books that it was permissible.
My question, however, and I think the grey area in all of this co..."

It's a grey area philosophically, for sure. But most DRM-free books have huge legal warnings and/or pleas from the author at the beginning about sharing them.

message 12: by Deborah (new)

Deborah (dbartelt01) I wondered about this for a while. I think it is important to realize that authors are selling a product that they work to develop. I am not an author, but feel they have a right to protection like all of us would hopefully have ,if we made a product. I agree with the Goodreads decision on this issue.

message 13: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (emtmelissa) I also only use the Nook Lend Me feature as I never figured out the Sugar sync and other cloud storage lending. Glad I never much thought about it...especially since it isn't legal.

message 14: by Emily (new)

Emily (emilyknap) | 4 comments On that note, is tuebl illegal? I'm kind of assuming it is but wanted to clarify.

message 15: by Deborah (new)

Deborah (dbartelt01) Did you see where the woman who allowed downloading of music lost her case in court. Instead of paying a few hundred dollars is now having to pay $200,000.00 or more for her actions. Authors and publishing houses will soon follow along with it .

There will be test cases to follow. I would be careful since they will be looking for examples. Everyone be careful!

message 16: by Sandra (last edited Mar 22, 2013 05:27AM) (new)

Sandra  (sleo) Dori wrote: "So does that mean I should completely erase all books that have been shared with me through Sugar Sync? I've already eliminated the books that I was sharing and am no longer sharing anything with a..."

Well I would think so since you got them illegally. It's like stealing.

message 17: by Rebecca (last edited Mar 22, 2013 10:48AM) (new)

Rebecca (rebeccasg) Thanks for letting us know, as I was unsure about this issue. I will try to delete all my posts relating to this issue and get rid of any books I didn't buy myself.

I've found my library has many (new and old) ebooks available to borrow for a time period. This is definitely legal ;)

message 18: by SassySami (new)

SassySami | 22 comments Just a thought, but I would suggest not admitting to illegal activity, whether accidental or not, because if it comes down to it, these posts can be used against you in court.

message 19: by Lilah (new)

Lilah Chavez (lilypadchavez408) | 55 comments i agree with sassy

message 20: by Vicki (new)

Vicki (mattsmama) | 77 comments The last I looked, the fines for stealing intellectual property (digital music, book, movie, software files), were $250,000 PER ITEM. Just imagine if you have a full library of stolen media! Those fines would add up. I took a class on Intellectual Property a few years ago and found it very interesting.

message 21: by Deborah (new)

Deborah (dbartelt01) Wow that is a lot of money for each book or item. Thanks for sharing the information. It will probably help a lot of others who were sharing out of good intentions.

message 22: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (mgauffant) | 86 comments Q7XR2 wrote: "That's totally cool, but the thread deleted by GR staff was for SugarSync... which is a big no-no.

I'm not going to go crazy and delete everything. It'll just be anything with links to sites like..."

That's helpful..I'm sure a lot of people just aren't aware that it's a big no no!

message 23: by Amber (new)

Amber | 3 comments Hello :)

I found a pretty cool webpage that alerts me to free books - legally! It provides a link so I can get them free from B&N when they are on sale. Awesome!

http://home.bookbub.com/home/

Thanks,
Amber

message 24: by Jeanine (new)

Jeanine (jjelizalde) Deborah wrote: "I wondered about this for a while. I think it is important to realize that authors are selling a product that they work to develop. I am not an author, but feel they have a right to protection l..."

I'm with you. Authors pour their heart and soul into their product. Stealing it is no different that walking into a store and shoplifting.

message 25: by Kay (new)

Kay Pratt (romancereadersbookshelf) | 2 comments Has anyone else tried Book Hub? What do you think? Is it a lot of spam or a good site to join? Is it legal? Are there other legal sites to get free or deeply reduced books? Im a reading junkie on a tight budget and any comments are helpful. I don't want to get in trouble.

message 26: by willaful, dedicated nookworm (new)

Book Bub is a good, reputable source for free/cheap books. If you join some of the reading groups here on GoodReads, many of them also have threads for current deals.

Have you checked out whether your library offers ebooks?

message 27: by Desiree (new)

Desiree (DesireeBee) | 2 comments I downloaded the Overdrive app and my local library is there! They have a LOT of books! Not as many as print copies, but they should have all the popular titles. Don't be discouraged by a long waiting list, some libraries will have over 30 copies of a best seller and they turn over quickly! You can keep them for two weeks only, no renewals. You can also return them early... I have a hold list, but put several books on my wish list, so I wouldn't get too many at once!

If your local library is not listed, chances are there is one in a nearby town that would let you sign on! Highly recommended!

message 28: by Kay (new)

Kay Pratt (romancereadersbookshelf) | 2 comments I have overdrive and local library but its a small town so library is small and limited. I didn't know that I might b able to join other libraries. I will try this and Book Hub. Thx for the info. I can NEVER get enough books, especially free ebooks.

message 29: by Desiree (new)

Desiree (DesireeBee) | 2 comments Hi, Kay! Don't rule out the small towns! Around here, the libraries are part of a regional system, so there are a ton of ebooks and audiobooks that are available! Also, if you have a kindle, or even the kindle app, check out kebooks.com. They send out a daily newsletter with lots of free kindle books. You don't have to subscribe, there is a link that sorts all the free kindle books for you! An excellent resource! You can also use the free calibre program on your computer to change formats and send books to whatever device you want, another free and excellent resource! Enjoy!

message 30: by Mary (new)

Mary (bookbuffy) | 4 comments whats neat about the free books you try authors you might not normally try, and every one and awhile you find a really good book.

message 31: by Jeanie (new)

Jeanie Jackson | 45 comments Deborah wrote: "I wondered about this for a while. I think it is important to realize that authors are selling a product that they work to develop. I am not an author, but feel they have a right to protection l..."

I agree 100 percent. I have always been "the copyright queen" as a school librarian but through facebook I have gotten to "know" authors and it matters personally to me now.

message 32: by Jeanie (new)

Jeanie Jackson | 45 comments Mary wrote: "whats neat about the free books you try authors you might not normally try, and every one and awhile you find a really good book."

I discovered the majority of the authors I follow now through free books. My favorite author, JD Nixon, doesn't do any other marketing and after 4 years has been able to quit her job to write. Her husband does still work though. The power of the free book!!! lol.