YA LGBT Books discussion

Hot topics > Equal Marriage and Other LBGTQ Issues, News and Politics

Comments Showing 1-50 of 1,275 (1275 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 25 26

message 1: by Major English (Laura) (last edited Mar 18, 2013 07:54PM) (new)

Major English (Laura) | 31 comments Hello my Goodreads friends!

I am doing my very best to keep on top of all of the equal marriage talk and events that are in the news currently and will be even more so in the news on March 26, when the United States Supreme Court will decide whether or not to overturn the dastardly Prop 8 of California and on March 27, the Defense of Marriage Act (DOMA) will come before the Supreme Court, 17 years after having been signed into Law during the Clinton administration.

So, What is Prop 8?
Prop 8 was was a California ballot proposition and a state constitutional amendment passed in the November 2008 state elections. This proposition meant that "only marriage between a man and a woman is valid or recognized in California."

However, Prop 8 was overturned in 2010 by a California Circuit Court, citing that "Proposition 8 serves no purpose, and has no effect, other than to lessen the status and human dignity of gays and lesbians in California, and to officially reclassify their relationships and families as inferior to those of opposite-sex couples," Judge Stephen Reinhardt wrote in the decision.

Thereby, now Prop 8 is moving on to the U.S. Supreme Court where at a federal level, it may be overturned once again. The American Foundation for Equal Rights (AFER) is working hard to do just this and their website is very helpful in describing their mission as well as sharing the stories of Kris Perry and Sandy Stier and Paul Katami and Jeff Zarrillo, the brave California Citizens who challenged Prop 8 in the first place. www.AFER.org

So What is the Defense of Marriage Act (DOMA?)
DOMA is the law that permits the federal government to NOT recognize any marriages between gay or lesbian couples, for the purpose of federal laws or programs, even couples who are legally married in their home state. (i.e. Even if you are legally married in Massachusetts, for instance, the United States Federal Government does not recognize your marriage. This goes for civilians and military members alike. Thereby, legally wed couples are not granted military housing on U.S. military bases and they are denied shared benefits.)

So DOMA and its constitutionality is what is being considered in court next week. It is my understanding that although DOMA also makes it so that individual states do not have to recognize gay and lesbian couples married in other states, that this will not be challenged in the Supreme Court and will remain "as is."

Getting back to military LGBT people still being denied rights (even after Don't Ask Don't Tell has been repealed) this is the story of a Marine who proposed to his boyfriend at the White House this past December. This is a happy story! But also, because the Marine will be considered "single" even when he marries his fiance, they will not be allowed to have married housing on his base overseas. http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/politics/...

Furthermore, I am very sorry to have just read this: http://bigstory.ap.org/article/woman-...

I had read a while ago about a woman from New Hampshire who had spent her life in the military, but she was not allowed to share benefits (housing benefits, insurance, etc.) with her wife, because even though they are residents of New Hampshire where equal marriage is legal, the federal government does not recognize it. Well, this woman, Charlie Morgan, had terminal breast cancer and she was very much worried what would happen to her wife after she died. Her wife will not be eligible to receive Charlie Morgan's military or social security benefits, but their daughter will be able to receive some of these benefits, I understand. I am very sorry to read that she just passed away a month ago. She was a hero to her country and her same country is denying her the rights that her military and civilian peers have. This is absolutely not right. It really upsets me and when I first read about this family's story a few months ago, it brought me to tears.

However, on Monday, a Department of Defense memo detailed a number of benefits that will be extended to same-sex partners of service members, including identification cards that will provide access to commissaries and other services but not some housing benefits. It appears the additional benefits don't apply in Morgan's case, however, because they would not be retroactive.

Despite the injustices that so many LGBT peoples face, the fact that equal marriage is still being discussed on a national level and will appear before the Supreme Court this week is all extremely exciting to me and it is one of my greatest dreams to see equal marriage legalized in all 50 states, securing equal rights for all and recognizing that families come in all different forms and that we, as Americans are equal under the law. Equal marriage is a civil rights issue and not a "gay issue."

I was so glad that Maine, Washington and Maryland all approved equal marriage this past November, but equal marriage on a state-by-state basis is simply not good enough. And I feel that it is the job of the federal government to guarantee equal marriage to all, rather than letting voters pass this on a state-by-state basis.

Additionally, I understand that even if DOMA is declared unconstitutional and if Prop 8 is overturned at the Supreme Court level, that this will not grant marriage equality yet, but it is a step in the right direction!

Furthermore, as some of you are aware I'm sure, today Hilary Clinton, former first lady, senator and Secretary of State announced her formal support of equal marriage. Hilary Clinton stated:

"LGBT Americans are our colleagues, our teachers, our soldiers, our friends, our loved ones -- and they are full and equal citizens, and deserve the rights of citizenship. That includes marriage.

"That's why I support marriage for lesbian and gay couples. I support it personally and as a matter of policy and law, embedded in a broader effort to advance equality and opportunity for LGBT Americans and for all Americans. Like so many others, my views have been shaped over time by people I have known and loved, by my experience representing our nation on the world stage, my devotion to law and human rights, and the guiding principles of my faith.

"Marriage, after all, is a fundamental building block of our society -- a great joy, and yes, a great responsibility. A few years ago, Bill and I celebrated as our own daughter married the love of her life and I wish every parent that same joy. To deny the opportunity to any of our daughters and sons solely on the basis of who they are and who they love is to deny them the chance to live up to their God given potential."

description

You can watch Hilary Clinton make her speech here:
http://maddowblog.msnbc.com/_news/201...

Additionally, this week, Ohio Senator, and Republican, Rob Portman addressed the issue of equal marriage when his 21 year old son came out to him.

You can read more about this here: http://maddowblog.msnbc.com/_news/201...

Additionally, I saw this today and just found it so moving. Since Prop 8 and DOMA will be heard before the Supreme Court next week, a 12 year old boy with two dads wrote a letter to Supreme Court Chief Justice Roberts urging him accept equal marriage.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/03...

With all this news, it is hard to keep up with everything, and it is even harder to fully understand what all of this could mean for equal rights.

I know that this is a lot of information to take in and that I probably provided more than enough information, links or youtube videos for you to watch and think about for a first post, but I was not sure how familiar different people are with this subject and I wanted to try to be as educational as possible.

And with all of this exciting news going on, I really hope we can use this thread to add news updates, links, as well as our own personal thoughts and feelings on this very topical subject.

Additionally, I know that many people oppose the use of the term "gay marriage" as do I. I consider "marriage" to be "marriage" no matter who the couple is. And considering marriage "gay" only helps to separate the LGBT population from their straight peers. However, because "gay marriage" is so ever present in our media and in conversation in general, I know that I sometimes use the phrase "gay marriage." And what I hope is that we can all start working the terms "equal marriage" or "marriage equality" into our vocabularies, but that if we do use "gay marriage" that people will not be offended by it.

Additionally, here are some links that I find helpful:

http://www.AFER.org/ This is the link to the American Foundation for Equal Rights - the organization and lawyers who are working to overturn Prop 8 at a federal level.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/gay-voi... This is the link to LGBT issues and is updated daily and includes everything from world-wide issues to local issues, to individual issues.

Video clip AFER. This Beautifully done 8 minute clip is a montage of different footage outlining marriage equality in the United States and introduces us to the lawyers who are arguing this case. Ihighly recommended that you watch his. I think you will really enjoy it.
http://www.afer.org/about/the-foundat...

Also, if you are liberal minded, I would suggest "liking" the Rachel Maddow Show on Facebook, as she shares information that regards LGBT issues, political issues and societal issues on a daily basis.

You can also "like" The American Foundation for Equal Rights on Facebook, as they post information regarding the Supreme Court cases that will be heard in about a week.

Well I think that is about it for now. Goodbye Goodreads Friends. I hope that this post was able to be of some value to you and I hope that this is a topic that encourages you to discuss this issue not only here on Goodreads but with your family and friends as well. Also, I know that there are a few different LGBT groups here on Goodreads, but as I know that the YA LGBT group is pretty active and since they had a "hot topics" folder, I wanted to post this here. Additionally, since equal marriage is not only about couples but their families, I thought that this was a good space to start this thread. If you have friends from other LGBT groups on Goodreads (or any other group for that matter) I hope you invite them to join this discussion. :)

I hope that you all have a great day and I hope to chat with you all soon! Take care!

message 2: by Kaje (last edited Mar 19, 2013 04:03PM) (new)

Kaje Harper | 16566 comments Wow, great information. Here in Minnesota, bills to legalize gay marriage at the state level just made it out of committee in both the State House and Senate, but there is a long way to go. And the federal situation may trump that, so we're watching it carefully. Thanks for the update and links.

message 3: by Kim (last edited Mar 18, 2013 07:46PM) (new)

Kim (lokilady) | 378 comments If you have the time, I highly recommend that interested folks watch this performance of Dustin Lance Black's 8, "a play about the fight for marriage equality." It puts human (and familiar) faces on the struggle. I found a lot of the text -- using real testimony from the Prop. 8 trial -- very moving, especially what Glee's Chris Colfer portrayed.

message 4: by Tammy K. (last edited Mar 19, 2013 03:46PM) (new)

Tammy K. (rambles_of_a_reader) I didn't see your thread before I started the one on Hillary Clinton's speech.
I agree wholeheartedly with Hillary that the increasing speed in which the World's People stepping up to support the LGBT community rights and marriages is a relatively quick in comparison to others civil rights movements.
I also agree with her in the need to keep the communications between the differing views open, friendly and civil.
Go Hillary!
One soul at a time.
One step at a time.
One day at a time.
We move forward!

message 5: by Major English (Laura) (last edited Mar 19, 2013 09:26PM) (new)

Major English (Laura) | 31 comments Kaje, Good for Minnesota to be working towards marriage equality and this past November I was please to see the voters of Minnesota strike down the thought that marriage only applies to one man and one woman!

And Kim, I'm so glad that you posted that YouTube video of 8. That's great that it's available for all to see on YouTube.

And yes, Tammy. Go Hillary, indeed! I really admire her! I hope she runs for president next time around! I'll back her whole-heartidly!

I see that today Megan McCain, (daughter of Senator John McCain) has made her points for marriage equality, asking fellow conservatives to stick to the conservative ideals of limited government and family values. Absolutely. Marriage equality really, in theory is definitely a conservative value, because it means that people have more freedoms and limited government roles in their lives (I.e. the government shouldn't be able to dictate what defines a family or what people should be able to marry.)

I have also heard other conservatives say that they favor marriage equality because they value family values and the institute of marriage, and thus with LGBT people being able to marry, they are strengthens families in our nation. Which I whole heartidly agree.

So it's amazing that how through bigottry and homophobia, the core ideals of the conservative party are becoming severely skewed. Thus many younger folks aren't aligning themselves with this party and many young conservatives like Megan McCain are trying to persuade the conservative party to be more open minded of marriage equality because fundamentally marriage equality should align with the conservative objective of less government. Which is absolutely true.

message 6: by Tammy K. (new)

Tammy K. (rambles_of_a_reader) Some of what I am saying has already been stated above but I am gonna add my voice more thoroughly then I did earlier.
Personally speaking, I just do not believe that any good can come from trashing Any political party or person.
Fear divides us & Promotes the thinking that it is them 'against' us.
There is no "Them" there is only "US". We can not accomplish anything unless it is a WE (US).
The laws that we recently enacted were done so when individuals of both (all) political parties acted as one and agreed on an issue and moved as one to make a change.
Those that we cast off as other then us, we alienate.
Progress can not be (has not been) made throwing fear at fear, reciting rhetoric at rhetoric. Placing Judgements about one side to be less right (correct), and one side to be more (or all) right (correct).
The Yolk of social change can not be made by only once side pulling the change. It takes both (all) sides moving towards change.
Yes there will be individuals who make less then productive statements on BOTH sides of Any issue.
But history has shown that it is never the extreme sides of Any debate that meet in the middle to reach agreements.
You can not shake the hand of a person when you are both standing on the opposite side of the room.
The saying,
A man convinced against his will is of the same opinion still, for when he stands and walks away his thoughts return to yesterdays.

comes to my mind. You can not force someone to change their mind.
We have made progress by making steps, small steps to the middle. 'Do not ask, do not tell' was a small step that neither side felt satisfied with. But it moved the ball further up the court.
In my state of Washington, 'same sex civil unions' was also not a step that either side felt satisfied with. But again it moved the ball further up the court.
Of course you all know that the ball has made it into the hoop with my state and Same Sex Marriage.
And you also know that the ball has made it into the hoop with the military repealing the Do not ask do not tell.
I feel that both these scoring points will move the ball up the court for the rest of the nation. Is it what either side is satisfied with at this time? No.
But remember, It was these compromises, these small steps towards a larger goal that brought the conversation to the forefront.
So that we (citizens, families, friends) could have the time to talk. To reach out and as Hillary said, show to others that we are the same as everyone else.
So for me, I will offer my hand in peace to traditional conservatives. I will offer my hand in peace to the extremes (radicals) of the liberal party.
I am willing to walk forward in baby steps, knowing that (as My Grandfather would say)
You win more bees with honey than you ever will with vinegar.

And so I end this post by recapping that as we work together, in love and respect, with a heart of tolerance for all and acceptance for all, agreeing to agree where we can, disagree when we must but never to demonize, then we as a country, worlds people will promote equality.

message 7: by Major English (Laura) (last edited Mar 20, 2013 05:52PM) (new)

Major English (Laura) | 31 comments Yes, just to be clear, what I said earlier about the conservative party wasn't meant to trash that party. That party, just like the liberal party, or the green party, or the libertarian party or any other party for that matter, does subscribe to a core set of values, and thus people pick a political party based on their shared values with the party. What I said earlier was a paraphrased statement that Megan McCain, a conservative from a renowned conservative family, made. Additionally, many conservatives filed a brief in regards to how they want Prop 8 overturned. Additionally, Ted Olson, a longtime Republican and George W. Bush's First Solicitor General is the co-counsel in trying to get the US Supreme Court to overturn Prop 8. So political parties are working together, but more needs to be done.

Moreover, I agree that progress can only be made by working together, whether it be on an individual level or on a local, state or national government level. "Together, we stand, Divided, we fall" has been a long time motto of mine.

However, the reality of things is that the conservative party believes "family values" to be one of their main core values of the party. This is not a opinion of mine, it's just the way things are. So what Megan McCain is saying and some other conservatives and what I'm saying is that if family values are important to the conservative party, then equal marriage will strengthen marriage as an institution and will strengthen family values. If a person, no matter what party he/she ascribes to, does not believe that marriage equality will strengthen the institution of marriage, then what is holding back this person? I would argue that it's fear. It's fear of change or fear that their kids will think its okay to like someone of the same sex, or it's individual or culturally ingrained bigotry or homophobia, or perhaps some other reason.

So yes, people have to work together, but there is a very strong divide in the USA in regards to equal marriage. And as I believe equal marriage and LGBT rights are a civil rights issue and not a "gay" issue, I believe that people's own individual personal opinions as to whether they want to accept equal marriage and other LGBT rights aren't relevant to whether equal marriage should be made legal on a federal level and it's the job of the state and federal government to protect all people from discrimination, and right now it's the federal government itself that is doing the discriminating by having a legal definition of marriage that does not allow same sex couples to wed which was passed with DOMA in the early 1990s.

Major English (Laura) | 31 comments Canada, our friendly neighbors to the north, legalized equal marriage almost ten years ago and about ten other countries have done the same. And nothing happened in those countries. The countries didn't collapse or fall into the ocean or have a civil war. The government enacted it. It became law. And that was that.

Im all for giving people more rights as long as it does not infringe on the safety of others. But there are some people who strongly believe that LGBT rights or equal marriage actually will affect their safety and that of their children. And this is ludicrous and is not a valid enough reason to deny other Americans their rights. No one person is better than another under the eyes of the law, no matter their race, religion, age or ethnicity. And it is time that sexual orientation is also added to that list in every state in our nation. Discrimination is discrimination, no matter what.

message 9: by Patricia (new)

Patricia O'Sullivan | 13 comments Great thread, Laura. I'd like to add that gay marriage is a great opportunity for straights to see what marriage equality really looks like. Straights tend to be so locked into gender roles that even progressives end up in marriages that benefit the man more than the woman. My hope is that when gay marriage becomes more common, straights will take a good, hard look at 'traditional' marriage. Read more at http://www.patricia-osullivan.com/201...

message 10: by Tammy K. (new)

Tammy K. (rambles_of_a_reader) I think we are all circling around the same ideas.
I think we (participates this thread) all agree on the desired results.
Rather then continue on and on and risk inflaming old wounds with are still healing, I'll just say how very proud I am of the LGBT and the Non-LGBT individuals of ALL Political parties that actually make steps (in deed and words) toward unification, towards healing, towards acceptance, towards supporting each other and when needed forgiving each other.

Major English (Laura) | 31 comments Patricia wrote: "Great thread, Laura. I'd like to add that gay marriage is a great opportunity for straights to see what marriage equality really looks like. Straights tend to be so locked into gender roles that ev..."

Very interesting thought, Patricia. Yes, even in one generation, marriage has changed so much. And families have changed so much too. It will be interesting to see how marriage, as an institution continues to evolve and change overtime. Very interesting thought. I am always interested in gender roles within the marriage/family dynamic, so with equal marriage thrown in the mix it will be interesting to see how the traditional "woman's role" in the family evolves and the traditional "men's role" or "breadwinner's role" continues to evolve as well.

message 12: by Trisha (new)

Trisha Harrington (trishaharrington) | 101 comments I live in Ireland and we have only got Civil Partnership at the moment. They have been talking about adding it to the constitution, but no action has been taken. 73% of the Irish public apparently would vote for legalizing gay marriage. So I really don't know why they have not done anything. In my mind I think it's because we are still a heavily Catholic country and the Catholic church is still a major part of the country. Personally I find it sad, and I believe if it was legal the divorce rate would go down. I could be wrong, but too many people marry because they feel they have to and when it's not the right person from the beginning the marriage is doomed.

message 13: by Major English (Laura) (last edited Mar 24, 2013 03:17AM) (new)

Major English (Laura) | 31 comments Trisha wrote: "I live in Ireland and we have only got Civil Partnership at the moment. They have been talking about adding it to the constitution, but no action has been taken. 73% of the Irish public apparently ..."

Thanks for sharing about Ireland, Trisha. It's good to have a global perspective on LGBT issues and to see how other countries stand. Even in the USA where we are supposed to have a "separation of Church and State" religion still weighs in heavily into politics and many politicians cite religious reasons as to how they vote on certain things.

73% is a really high percentage rate of people who would approve of equal marriage, so maybe that will mean something in the long run. In America, I believe the number is just over 50% in support of equal marriage. But at this point, since so many equal marriage laws are being passed by voters in individual states, it makes it nearly impossible for some states to see this law passed as some states are much more conservative than others. This issue isn't even on the ballot in many states so it doesn't have a chance to be voted on. On the other hand, states like Massachusetts (the first state to legalize equal marriage) never put the decision up to a vote by the general public. The state legislature passed it, which placed it into law. Which I believe is the right way of doing it. So that's why I am hoping to see a move towards marriage equality on a national (federal) level.

It's ludicrous to me how a couple can be legally married in one state, but then they cross an invisible border and then their marriage is no longer recognized. We are supposed to be the UNITED States of America. So this is frustrating to me and many other people.

message 14: by Trisha (new)

Trisha Harrington (trishaharrington) | 101 comments Major English (Laura) wrote: "Trisha wrote: "I live in Ireland and we have only got Civil Partnership at the moment. They have been talking about adding it to the constitution, but no action has been taken. 73% of the Irish pub..."

It's strange. If and when gay marriage is legalized here there will be a separation of surrogacy and adoption. From what I can tell there will be a lot done on the issue of gay marriage this year. But, so far we have heard nothing. I watch the news every day trying to find out when it will happen. Religion has caused a lot of problems here. The abortion scandal is still going on so that will be the main focus for a while.

message 15: by Major English (Laura) (last edited Mar 24, 2013 04:54PM) (new)

Major English (Laura) | 31 comments Trisha wrote: "Major English (Laura) wrote: "Trisha wrote: "I live in Ireland and we have only got Civil Partnership at the moment. They have been talking about adding it to the constitution, but no action has be..."

Hmm very intersting. When I was in England last year, I read how a single, unmarried English man wanted to use a surrogate to have his biological baby and was denied by England to do so because he was single and not married, and it seemed very on controversial over there and I read this in a newspaper and was very surprised by this.

As far as I know, surrogacy in USA is a private endeavor and done in the private business sector, so the government cannot impact the decision for a person or people to use a surrogate. In terms of adoption and gay people being allowed to adopt foster children (children who are in the social services system in the USA) I think that still varies state to state, and I'm not sure quite how this works as I am overall not very familiar with foster care or adoption laws.

I hope that Ireland makes some headway in LGBT issues this year, just as I hope to see victories in the USA too! I understand that religion and its traditions play a large part in Ireland and I hope that people are able to understand that people have different religious and personal values and that being gay or bi or transgender, etc is not wrong. As I saw last year on an ad on a double decker bus in London, "Some people are gay. Get over it." That's what I want the world to understand. I think by denying gay people rights, legislatures think that gay people will cease to exist. Not. Gonna.Happen!

message 16: by Trisha (new)

Trisha Harrington (trishaharrington) | 101 comments Major English (Laura) wrote: "Trisha wrote: "Major English (Laura) wrote: "Trisha wrote: "I live in Ireland and we have only got Civil Partnership at the moment. They have been talking about adding it to the constitution, but n..."

I know. It's difficult. Transgender people cannot have their birth certificate amended her as an example. Surrogacy is tricky because the woman that gives birth has all the rights, we have Civil Partnership which is something, but not everyone is happy about that. The UK is farther on than here.

Major English (Laura) | 31 comments Trisha wrote: "Major English (Laura) wrote: "Trisha wrote: "Major English (Laura) wrote: "Trisha wrote: "I live in Ireland and we have only got Civil Partnership at the moment. They have been talking about adding..."

Hmm very interesting. Surrogacy is the USA is a lot different, and the relationship that the surrogate has with the child goes on a case by case basis and involves contracts drawn up by the parents who hire the surrogate and the surrogate herself.

In the USA there are many states that have civil partnership but do not have equal marriage and this also goes on on a state by state basis.

message 18: by Trisha (new)

Trisha Harrington (trishaharrington) | 101 comments Major English (Laura) wrote: "Trisha wrote: "Major English (Laura) wrote: "Trisha wrote: "Major English (Laura) wrote: "Trisha wrote: "I live in Ireland and we have only got Civil Partnership at the moment. They have been talki..."

Yeah, we are trying to pass off Civil Partnership as being equal. But from what I can tell there are a lot of differences.

message 19: by Danyele (last edited Jun 10, 2013 05:02PM) (new)

Danyele Johnson | 3 comments https://www.allout.org/en/actions/rus...

Russia is trying to enforce anti-gay laws which would make it illegal just to mention anything about homosexuality. And now people, teenagers, are being stoned to death for being gay :( But Putin is really sensitive to international pressure, and this organization is trying to get signatures before the trial starts soon. So if you could sign and get other too that'd be really helpful.

Human rights for everyone, everywhere.

message 20: by Kaje (last edited Oct 19, 2013 06:15AM) (new)

Kaje Harper | 16566 comments On the positive side - Great Britain has just legalized gay marriage: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/07...

Although as the side-bar stories show, we are still fighting the battle for acceptance on so many fronts. But every bit helps, and the pictures of joy and acceptance in Great Britain are one more step.

message 22: by Kaje (new)

Kaje Harper | 16566 comments It's a study to look for physiological markers that might be associated with homophobic reactions, and perhaps use them as a marker for success in a homophobia-reducing intervention. Interesting, (although there is not a lot of info there on what the exact study intervention will be.)

message 23: by Kaje (new)

Kaje Harper | 16566 comments New Jersey Supreme Court has ruled unanimously that a verdict legalizing gay marriage should stand, and not be frozen for appeal.

Gay marriages can begin as early as Monday in the state of New Jersey.

http://www.courant.com/news/nation-wo...

message 24: by Kaje (new)

Kaje Harper | 16566 comments In other news, the state of Oregon will now recognize gay marriages performed in other states where it is legal. So couples can get married in next-door Washington State, and then come home and get legal recognition. Hopefully in-state gay marriage won't be far behind.

http://www.statesmanjournal.com/artic...

message 25: by Sandy (new)

Sandy | 14 comments It's happening...one state at a time. Yay!

message 26: by David (new)

David Chambelrin | 23 comments I agree with the whole gay marriage thing being that i am gay and i am in love with this guy and they should leagalize it in all states

message 27: by Kaje (new)

Kaje Harper | 16566 comments David wrote: "I agree with the whole gay marriage thing being that i am gay and i am in love with this guy and they should leagalize it in all states"

Definitely. There is momentum now, but as long as it is a state-by-state issue, there will be places where it's going to take a while. Good luck to you, and I hope you are living somewhere progressive, for when you are ready to take that step.

message 28: by Alicja (new)

Alicja (darkwingduckie7) | 12 comments Kaje wrote: "There is momentum now, but as long as it is a state-by-state issue, there will be places where it's going to take a while."

It will be a state-by-state issue until a tipping point is reached where at that point it will become federal law regardless of the left over states' opinions. This is similar to the course of how other similar issues have been handled in the past.

message 29: by Blaze (new)

Blaze (blaze93) | 10 comments I hope they legalise same sex marriage in Australia. They have passed it in the ACT but the Federal Government wants to challenge it.

message 30: by David (new)

David Chambelrin | 23 comments Kaje wrote: "David wrote: "I agree with the whole gay marriage thing being that i am gay and i am in love with this guy and they should leagalize it in all states"

Definitely. There is momentum now, but as lon..."

eh im in ohio and its going very very slowley last time i checked...:(

message 31: by Kaje (last edited Oct 30, 2013 07:56AM) (new)

Kaje Harper | 16566 comments Good luck to Ohio. You never know. Here in Minnesota, we had a one-man/one-woman constitutional ballot initiative in Nov 2012 that almost passed, that would have put a ban in the state constitution. But once it failed, there was enough momentum to turn it around and actually pass legal gay marriage through the House and Senate by last spring! Weddings started in August :)

message 32: by David (new)

David Chambelrin | 23 comments Kaje wrote: "Good luck to Ohio. You never know. Here in Minnesota, we had a one-man/one-woman constitutional ballot initiative in Nov 2012 that almost passed, that would have put a ban in the state constitution..."
Ive always wanted to live in Minnesota :D and thats Great :D at least its getting leagalized.

message 33: by David (last edited Oct 30, 2013 09:51AM) (new)

David Chambelrin | 23 comments by Court Decision
California* (June 28, 2013), Connecticut (Nov. 12, 2008), Iowa (Apr. 24, 2009), Massachusetts (May 17, 2004), New Jersey (Oct. 21, 2013)
by State Legislature
Delaware (July 1, 2013), Minnesota (Aug. 1, 2013), New Hampshire (Jan. 1, 2010), New York (July 24, 2011), Rhode Island (Aug. 1, 2013), Vermont (Sep. 1, 2009)
by Popular Vote
Maine (Dec. 29, 2012), Maryland (Jan. 1, 2013), Washington (Dec. 9, 2012)
states that allow same sex marriage there is only 13 there needs to be alot more

message 34: by Kaje (new)

Kaje Harper | 16566 comments Yes indeed. Look at 2013 though - it's moving along :)

message 35: by David (new)

David Chambelrin | 23 comments Kaje wrote: "Yes indeed. Look at 2013 though - it's moving along :)"

i agree

message 36: by Kira (last edited Nov 17, 2013 09:59AM) (new)

Kira Harp | 32 comments Hours ago, Illinois became the 15th region (14 states plus DC) to pass the freedom to marry through the legislature, both Senate and now the House. The bill will soon head to the desk of Governor Pat Quinn who has promised to sign it into law.

message 37: by Sandy (new)

Sandy | 14 comments Yay Illinois!!!!

One state at a time...

message 38: by Kaje (new)

Kaje Harper | 16566 comments Hawaii's Senate passed a marriage equality legislation today, after the House passed it Friday. The governor has said he will sign it, meaning gay marriages could occur as soon as December:

http://www.ibtimes.com/hawaii-legisla...

message 39: by Sandra (new)

Sandra  (myfictionnook) | 48 comments Yay for Hawaii!!!

message 40: by Samantha (new)

Samantha Boyette | 53 comments Damn I should have waited to get married in Hawaii!

message 41: by Kaje (last edited Nov 17, 2013 09:21AM) (new)

Kaje Harper | 16566 comments And the governor Neil Abercrombie signed a bill Wednesday legalizing gay marriage in Hawaii, making it officially the 16th district in the US (15th state plus Washington, DC) to legalize same sex marriage.

http://www.lgbtqnation.com/2013/11/br...

message 42: by Amy (new)

Amy Burk (amykaufmanburk) As an LGBTQIA ally, I am extremely supportive of Marriage Equality. I have posted on my blog about how my writing was shaped by voting on the losing sides of both Prop 8 (California, 2008, which shot down same-sex marriage) and Amendment 1 (North Carolina, 2011, which shot down same-sex marriage and civil unions). I hope my writing (both my blog and my novel) will be read as a strong voice in support of complete equality, on all fronts, for the LGBTQIA community.

message 43: by Amy (new)

Amy Burk (amykaufmanburk) My Goodreads blog post, "Two Weddings and a Novel," is about attending 2 same-sex weddings, and officiating one (an extraordinarily moving experience). Marriage equality is absolutely necessary for the good of all.

message 44: by Kaje (last edited Dec 21, 2013 08:35AM) (new)

Kaje Harper | 16566 comments A Federal Judge has just ruled that the same-sex marriage ban in Utah was unconstitutional :)

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/12/21/us/...

Not the end of the story in that state, for sure, but another step forward.

message 46: by Kaje (new)

Kaje Harper | 16566 comments Thanks :D

message 47: by Kaje (new)

Kaje Harper | 16566 comments Another LGBT Victory in the US -

Boy Scouts open ranks to gay youth on New Year’s Day

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/natio...

message 48: by Michael (new)

Michael (mgm58) | 41 comments stuck in Ohio. we'll be the last ones!

message 49: by Kaje (new)

Kaje Harper | 16566 comments Michael wrote: "stuck in Ohio. we'll be the last ones!"

Hang in there - good luck with it. The momentum is building.

message 50: by Kaje (last edited Dec 30, 2013 07:44PM) (new)

Kaje Harper | 16566 comments A lot of people came out in 2013, standing proud to help gain acceptance for all LGBTQ individuals. Here's a post with some of those stories:

http://www.towleroad.com/2013/12/im-g... (scroll down past the black gap for the individual stories.)

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 25 26