The Hunger Games (The Hunger Games, #1) The Hunger Games discussion


451 views
Why didn't Effie choose the card with "katniss" on it?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 100 (100 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Vincent (new)

Vincent I may have nothing.


Tina J I haven't read this series in a while.
Could you possibly elaborate?


Sophie What do you mean, "choose"?


Haidi why do people start random threads and then not reply to people that ask questions??


Polly Roth What do you mean?


message 6: by Vincent (new)

Vincent Tina J wrote: "I haven't read this series in a while.
Could you possibly elaborate?"


Sorry, I haven't been on the site for a while. In the book, Effie chose Prim, and Katniss freaks out.


message 7: by Vincent (new)

Vincent Choose as in the reaping? Have you read the series?


message 8: by Tabby (new)

Tabby She didn't choose her because it was a random draw..what kind of question is this?


Sarah No duh gosh who thinks of this stuff?


Elizabeth Day I think I know what you're asking. You mean why did Suzanne Collins write it that way? Well I think it's a bit more drama, I guess. Katniss loves Prim more than anything and so she volunteers when Prim's called. If Katniss was called it probably wouldn't have seemed as dramatic or exciting.


message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

This ^^


Brenna If it wasn't Katniss's choice to join the games, she would just be another piece in the games, she wouldn't have made a sacrifice and chosen love and justice above everything.


message 13: by Vincent (new)

Vincent For message 8: A good one. you don't have to be in this.
For message 10: Yes that is what I'm asking.
For message 11: yes, you are right to.
For message 12: Now that is a good answer. I don't like hurting people's feelings, so I'll say this: Why can't people give me challenging Q's? And what if I say I'm only a pre- teen.


message 14: by Vincent (new)

Vincent Sarah wrote: "No duh gosh who thinks of this stuff?"

Don't be rude please. I am a kid. And yes, I HAVE read the series.


message 15: by Iman (new)

Iman Elizabeth wrote: "I think I know what you're asking. You mean why did Suzanne Collins write it that way? Well I think it's a bit more drama, I guess. Katniss loves Prim more than anything and so she volunteers when ..."

well said


message 16: by Iman (new)

Iman Vincent wrote: "Sarah wrote: "No duh gosh who thinks of this stuff?"

Don't be rude please. I am a kid. And yes, I HAVE read the series."



yes guys dont be rude ;)


message 17: by [deleted user] (new)

R.U.D.E
really. unnecessarily. douchebags.etc.


message 18: by Vincent (new)

Vincent Iman and Baylor have a point. Thank you for the understatement. :>


message 19: by Vincent (new)

Vincent Baylor...( I hardly know her) wrote: "R.U.D.E
really. unnecessarily. douchebags.etc."


Dude, I know what you mean


Books for Badger People on this site can be quite rude, I'm sorry. Also, I feel that prim being picked sets up some nice irony for the final book.


Tanya Morgenstern Elizabeth wrote: "I think I know what you're asking. You mean why did Suzanne Collins write it that way? Well I think it's a bit more drama, I guess. Katniss loves Prim more than anything and so she volunteers when ..."

good answer!


message 22: by Vincent (new)

Vincent Yes... I know.
For 20: That is an amazing answer. Can others please give me challenging Qs?


message 23: by Vincent (new)

Vincent Haidi wrote: "why do people start random threads and then not reply to people that ask questions??"
Ummmmmmmmmm, I wasn't on the site for a while


message 24: by Tabby (new)

Tabby I don't know why you'r getting offended.Nobody understood your question.You could have elaborated on it so that we'd be able to understand it.Also I don't think anybody cares that your a kid. You've said it several times but if your mature enough to be on this site then your mature enough to stop pointing out the fact that your a God Damn Kid.That being said,Have a good day:)


message 25: by Vincent (new)

Vincent The "Sarah" person was quite rude. Plus, let's stay on subject or I WILL shut this thing down. And Don't screw me. I am not lying.


message 26: by Tabby (new)

Tabby Quite frankly, you'd be doing us all a favor if you did...so FEEL FREE!


Zhanaestilinski booksandbeaches wrote: "People on this site can be quite rude, I'm sorry. Also, I feel that prim being picked sets up some nice irony for the final book."

That is completely true to the point of cruelty. Shame on you Suzanne! Prim might as well have been in the games if THAT was going to be her fate.


message 28: by Vincent (new)

Vincent This is what I mean in "challenging" Thank you.
Screw you Effie. Choose one off the top next time


Lennie  Bell Brenna wrote: "If it wasn't Katniss's choice to join the games, she would just be another piece in the games, she wouldn't have made a sacrifice and chosen love and justice above everything."

Tabby wrote: "She didn't choose her because it was a random draw..what kind of question is this?"

I agree with both of you guys :D


message 30: by Vincent (new)

Vincent I kind of like the part when President Snow kills Prim. What? I like sad books


message 31: by Olivia (new) - added it

Olivia Vincent wrote: "I kind of like the part when President Snow kills Prim. What? I like sad books"

where did it say that in the book?


Getana Torani  - connectedChaser Vincent wrote: "I kind of like the part when President Snow kills Prim. What? I like sad books"

It was Coin who killed her. I mean, Prim is only 12 or 13, and she was sent to the front of the line. Who sent her? Coin. Because she wanted to break Katniss. Make her her slave.


message 33: by Vincent (new)

Vincent The last book. Mockingjay.


Marie Coin ordered an attack using a double bomb system - She blew up some people and Prim was one of the paramedics, but it was a double bomb designed to go off when help came in to have maximum effects, so prim got killed there along with other doctors/nurses...


message 35: by Vincent (new)

Vincent Sorry. I haven’t read the books again.


message 36: by Vincent (new)

Vincent Nice. Suzanne Collins should make peeta's point of view.


Marie It's okay :) i've read them four times ;) omg i wish she would! that would be amazing :D :D x


message 38: by Vincent (new)

Vincent Heck yeah.


Molly She didn't choose. It was a random drawing,


message 40: by Vincent (new)

Vincent That is the second time that was said! Why didn't Effie Draw katniss?! I don't care how you say it.


Getana Torani  - connectedChaser Since Katniss had to volunteer, it became more extraordinary and odd, especially because of her district. But it was a random drawing.


message 42: by Alan (new) - rated it 5 stars

Alan Smith I think Vincent originally meant "Why did Suzanne Collins write it that Prim was randomly chosen, instead of saving time and space by having it that Katniss' name was drawn"? If so, I think it was just to show us that Katniss is a brave person who cares about her family, and having her volunteer when she didn't have to was a way of demonstrating that.

Also, maybe Suzanne Collins knew that later in the book she was going to have Katniss do some things that readers wouldn't like, and she wanted to have her do something positive early on so that we'd like her.


message 43: by Vincent (new)

Vincent Yes, that is what I mean. Everybody read this before Posting " She didn't choose. It was a random draw.


message 44: by [deleted user] (new)

Hmm. I see what Vincent meant but really, I can understand why everyone was confused. Of course Katniss would not have been chosen. Don't be offended Vincent, it just seemed a random question.


message 45: by [deleted user] (new)

True


message 46: by Vincent (new)

Vincent Thank you.


message 47: by [deleted user] (last edited Apr 03, 2013 06:30AM) (new)

OMG YOU DON'T CHOOSE WHO GETS REAPED!!

Come on Vince


Rachel Dyer I think Collins wrote it this way because it makes the hunger games Katniss' choice, as opposed to being forced on her. People feel more empowered when they have some control over the situation. By making her CHOOSE to be there, it made her more of a fighter than if she had been thrust into the situation by having her name drawn. The book even talks about how the lower-numbered districts often have volunteers because they train to be in the Hunger Games. It is their life's work. In this case, Katniss' life's work is to protect Prim.


message 49: by Olivia (new) - added it

Olivia eMMa. wrote: "OMG YOU DON'T CHOOSE WHO GETS REAPED!!

Come on Vince"


who did?


message 50: by Vincent (new)

Vincent Gosh, you don't need to be so rude about it.


« previous 1
back to top