Lisey's Story Lisey's Story question

Lisey's Story by Stephen King
Thoughtmix Thoughtmix Mar 18, 2013 04:48PM
What do you think of this book? Genius or too far-fetched, and why?

I also felt it was one of the best books I've ever read but it seems that people either totally love the book or totally hate it. I think the symbolism and ode to the literary process are superb in this book! The book does have a slow start but this is true of many of King's books...he is letting you get to know the characters and making them someone ordinary that you can relate to first. This technique makes you hooked once the story unfolds in my opinion.

I really loved it. It's my favorite S. King book and one of my favorite all time books. I am planning on reading it again.

It is my favorite Stephen King book. I love the ending and the way that King leads us slowly into Lisey's quagmire of a life. It is a twisty story that leads through a maze where we see the same seemingly dead ends several times, but each progresses toward the conclusion.

I loved it quite a bit. I admit, though, that I am a fan Stephen King, and I have loved the majority of what I've read of his work.

I loved it! So i will go for genius! I loved the emotion, the plot, the characters. One of the best books I've read in general. But I think it depends on the reader. We can't all love the same books :)

it's the only one of his that i have chucked half way in, it was just so damn boring. i could see he was trying to do something more "literate" but all he succeeded in doing was writing a snails pace book with left field sadism.

After putting this book down after only reading 50 pages about 12 months ago, I gave it another try this week and am loving it so I recommend anyone else (and it seems there are many) who also put it down, to try again.

If you liked Duma Key, Under The Dome, 11/22/63, then this story fits snugly into the great story telling and character development of that period.

I'm now reading very slowly to prolong the joy of reading this story.

One of my all time favourite books

Interesting. What did you specifically not like about it?

I didn't like it. There were several things that annoyed me about it. And I usually love SK.

Gerd (last edited Mar 26, 2013 09:33AM ) Mar 26, 2013 09:33AM   0 votes
One of those SK books I couldn't finish.
I grew to dislike the main so much that I just couldn't make myself push through.

Maybe I'll give it another try some time - but more likely I'll just go and shelf it as lost time.

it was the first book by king i read and i still think it was the best one

I managed to finish this one, but oh, how I struggled! The most annoying part were the constant reminders of the secret, private language Lisey and her late husband used. It's almost like King didn't believe his readers would get it after having been mentioned four or five times.