Wild: From Lost to Found on the Pacific Crest Trail Wild discussion

Live Video Chat with Cheryl Strayed

Comments Showing 1-50 of 140 (140 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Patrick (new) - added it

Patrick Brown Join us on Wednesday, May 15 at 2pm ET/11am PT for a live video chat with author Cheryl Strayed. We'll be talking about her bestselling memoir Wild, as well as her previous work and her life as a writer.

If you have a question for Cheryl, please ask it below.

Lorrie Would love to know if you're still walking, Cheryl? If so: everyday, marathons, long distance.....?

message 3: by Susan (new)

Susan What a brave woman! Any new books coming soon? Loved your writing!

message 4: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne I am working that day. Could we listen to it later ?

Debbie q. Any plans now to hike the Appalachian Trail?

message 6: by Eva (new) - rated it 5 stars

Eva 0 minutes ago Reading Wild made me realize some things about my own relationship with my mother, and I thank you, because it let to some self discovery. My question is when did you feel this cathartic experience of dealing with your mothers death, while climbing the trail directly, or writing about it afterwards?

Sharon Honeycutt q. Loved the book. One writer to another ... how many revisions did you put it through?

message 8: by Jen (last edited May 06, 2013 10:00PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jen Your book inspired me and a fellow reader to hike the Wallowas in Eastern Oregon last summer. Looking forward to the video chat! I'd also like to know if you still hike and/or walk.

Mimi Zuyderduyn thoroughly enjoyed 'Wild' even though I couldn't finish it - it was due back at the library, so dutifully it went back. I look forward to reading it all. My fav part was picturing you with this enormous backpack and feeling like a turtle on your back. I laughed so hard, I had tears running down my cheeks. I have to work and will miss the live video chat - hope I can catch it later. keep on writing, I'll keep reading! cheers.

message 10: by Ashley (new) - added it

Ashley I loved Wild; I felt like I was almost there with you! To Cheryl: How long have you been writing?

Karen I wasn't sure what to expect when I started this book, but I ended up really enjoying it. Thank you for writing it. How did you piece this story together? Did you rely on the notes you kept while hiking to piece this story together? Your memory? Interviews with those who hiked with you? How many years passed between the time you hiked the PCT and the time you started writing this book and what impact did that have on how the story was told?

Nikki Loved both tiny beautifully things and wild....I am also working that day. is there any other way I am able to hear it?

Christinna Guzman When you left to go on the trail were you depressed? I ask that since you could have been eaten by a bear. You went alone. You could have died. One slip....I felt brave but alone when I lived in Yosemite but I was among people. Though I still felt alone. I do not think I acomplished much except I figured if I could live there I could survive anywhere as long as I decided to depend on myself. Then I moved to San Francisco. You are brave. I learned that so am I.

Jodi-lee Not a question...i just want to say I LOVEDvthis book!m

Jodi-lee (sorry...^)... My mom and I routinely recommend books to one another. When I recommended Wild, she told me that she had read it and consciously did not tell me because she was sure I would strap on a pack and take off in to the woods. She was not far off base! ...ok, question: do you have any lingering injuries/scars?

Michèle Dextras I loved "Wild", it took me back on my own "through hike" even though mine was a walk in the park in comparison to the PCT. The Camino de Santiago is a walk in the park compared to the PCT. Have you ever thought of walking the Camino?

message 17: by Gina (new) - rated it 5 stars

Gina Koehler Q you were so brave to continue your hike despite potential threats and real fears. Perhaps it was a level of not really knowing or acknowledging the dangers that kept you planning and walking. I admire your tenacity! Two questions: have you returned to finish the hike? How has the experience changed your relationships, old and new, with others as well as with yourself? Looking back, would you do it again?.

Lorrie I really wanted to be in this chat, Cheryl. I have to work! Can we watch you later?

Sarah Clapp-Work Q: How did your feet turn out? Did you get all your toe nails back?

message 20: by Alex (new) - rated it 5 stars

Alex Mikulich Alex Mikulich: Q: Of all the books that you burned on the PCT, which remain present within you and why?

Debra Hale-Shelton Can you tell us about your writing process? Also, why did you wait so long to write this book?

message 22: by Sher (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sher q: Now that time has passed since your hike, what do you continue to embrace and reference frequently from your experience. Are there issues you weren't able to address on your hike which because of your experience where able to address later? Does the sense of power and clarity you developed on the trip build on itself yet today?

message 23: by Judy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Judy Ingersoll johnson q I am impressed with your indepedence and hiking the trail alone. I'd never heard of the PCT and am glad you wrote the book.

Karen q: To what extent would you characterize WILD as "the nonfiction of place"? Did you consciously consider aspects of that genre as you wrote the book? I assigned it this term at Boise State University in an advanced nonfiction writing course focused on that theme.

Tigon what time is it in Vietnam?

Ellen Thompson Will this be available to view at a later time. I can't make it when it is being aired. Thanks.

Candace Whitney Morris q Saw you speak in Seattle and am a new fan! After reading Wild, I realized how distrusting I am of strangers (both existentially and as an introvert), but your experiences with the goodness of others has opened me up to considering new experiences, which feels exhilarating. Are you an extrovert? Do you find it easy to speak to strangers? How did this come to play out on the trail?

Jacqui Lademann First of all, great book. On your journey you made a lot of discoveries about yourself, and about life, particularly about the importance of moving forward not back. I am curious to know whether now, when you are back in your not PCT life, those lessons have stayed with you, or if 'normal' life has dulled the lessons a little.

Marni Renteria You've listed several favorite author's and books that you brought along on your journey via the PCT; what are you reading

Marni Renteria currently. And any new favorite authors or books… value your style and opinion. I cheered you on while you journeyed on the PCT and through your stages of grief. Beautiful story that I can definitely relate too… I can particularly identify with the memories of your mother; like a phantom pain that persists.

message 31: by Buzz (new) - rated it 5 stars

Buzz What's the next great adventure you plan to write about? Any plans?

message 32: by Elizabeth (new) - added it

Elizabeth I am in my mid 30s and I have loads of female friends who are capable, smart, interesting people who are also unemployed. Many of them feel like they are going through a major re-evaluation of who they are and what they believe in. Barring going off into the wilderness (which I admire you for doing, but still find horribly dangerous), what advise to you have for unemployed women to help them through this rough transition? I'm especially keen to hear the advise you'd have for unemployed writers. Thanks.

Karen What is your relationship with your siblings and your step-father like now? What do they think of your hiking the PCT and of the book?

message 34: by Pam (new) - rated it 3 stars

Pam Small So, I'm at the bottom of the heap here, and most of the questions I'd ask have already been asked. So how about this: I have a fantasy dinner table that I've been building in my mind for years. The guests include Francois Gilot (Paloma Picasso's mother), Hadley Richardson, and Richard Feynman. I can't give you the entire list, but it is full of brilliant artists. Given the opportunity, who would you enjoy chewing the fat with? Or better yet, who would you break bread with, why and what would you ask?

message 35: by Barb (new) - rated it 5 stars

Barb Q I realize that the circumstances in your life at the time led to your decision to do the PCT and it appears that "ignorance was bliss." Knowing what you know now, would you do it again? If so, what would you change? P.S. You are my hero and a wonderful example of "guts" for all women.

message 36: by S. (new) - rated it 4 stars

S. Q has anyone ever commented that you're a direct person, and what are your views on being subversive?

Erin Lyndal Martin I'm currently writing about grief myself, and I wondered if you had any advice about how best to capture a particular grief, aside from fidelity to the moment.

message 38: by [deleted user] (new)

On a late summer early evening rain in a suburb of St. Louis while I was on vacation, I ducked into a small bookstore and stumbled into your book. After I recovered from laughing because of your title and your last name, I began to read and could hardly wait to get home again to the mountains of southwestern New Mexico so I could finish it. My question is: why particularly did you choose to hike the PCT rather than, say, motorcycle all 48 contiguous states, or sail your own boat down the entire Pacific coast, or. . .? Was your decision purely based on what would cost less because you were broke?

Chrisw Loved your book - listened to it on CD in the car - I am at work during the video chat - hopefully we can replay it? You have inspired and uplifted me by your bravery and strength and honesty!

Kimberly Bowker q. How did giving time and space between hiking the PCT and writing the book change your perspective or what you included in the story? And with all the great dialogue and details, were those recorded in your journal at the time to jog your memory later?

message 41: by [deleted user] (new)

Hi I forgot to put the q in front of my comment. . .and question, which is the 4th one above this. If you need my question here, it is:http://w3.newsmax.com/newsletters/bro...

message 42: by [deleted user] (new)

q Me again. The wrong inffo transfered: Why particularly did you choose to hike the PCT. . .rather than, say, motorcycle all 48 contiguous states, or sail some kind of craft down the Pacific coast. . .etc. Was it limitedd to hiking because you were broke? I'm 71, and you inspired me. I'm gonna do something!--don't know what, yet.

Maxine Do you think all people need to have that uninterrupted 'alone time' to think and allow questions and answers to come to them?

message 44: by Kurt (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kurt Q: Hi Cheryl. I am interested in our connection with nature and its power to heal our soul. Can writers and poets strengthen that relationship? Is reading any substitute for time outside? Thank you for taking us into your relationship with the 'wild'. xoxo

message 45: by Jimmy (new)

Jimmy q. Do you feel that the insights and perspectives that you realized in yourself and your relationships could have been accomplished in other ways or was the solitude and alone time the catalyst for self awareness and healing?

Alyssa Pelletier Loved Wild! Inspired me to tackle the John Muir Trail this summer, and convinced my mom that I was ok to go alone. Thank you!!

Deborah Roberts Did your toenails ever grow back?

message 48: by Thisgurl (new)

Thisgurl q. What is the best bit of advice you can give to a fledgling female writer?

Christine you've inspired me to hike this summer on the JMT and PCT and hit my reset button! (but we are doing 3 days for total of 30-50miles)

message 50: by Chaz (new)

Chaz Perch As I read, what you personnaly endurred came though, but I was surprised you hadn't ran into more wild beasts.

« previous 1 3