The Infernal Devices discussion

Clockwork Princess (The Infernal Devices, #3)
This topic is about Clockwork Princess
Books > Clockwork Princess (With Spoilers)

Comments Showing 1-50 of 152 (152 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4

message 1: by Daylighter, Mizpah (new) - added it

Daylighter (pantea13) | 1431 comments Mod
This thread is for all the people who are going to start reading the book as of tomorrow and want to discuss it. Please keep all the spoilers off all the other topics on the group.

Jennifer (ivashkovlover) | 78 comments Woo! Can't wait to start discussing it!

Audrey | 5 comments holy crap only 4 more hours!

Jennifer (ivashkovlover) | 78 comments It should hit my kindle in two hours. I already know the ending though and I am dying to see what everyone thinks. It was half predictable half unpredictable. And I am half happy. LOL Not sure if I like the end or not!

Audrey | 5 comments I am debating about staying up and reading it or waking up early to read it....

Jennifer (ivashkovlover) | 78 comments Audrey wrote: "I am debating about staying up and reading it or waking up early to read it...."

I know I usually stay up and read books I'm super excited for but I'm really tired already! LOL I'll read what I can until I fall asleep.

Audrey | 5 comments ugh it's so suspenseful! just waiting! I think I'll just wait to tomorrow or else I'll stay up an read it.

message 8: by Candy4u (new) - added it

Candy4u | 12 comments I don't know what to think or feel after reading CP2
**SPOILER**
So...Tessa ends up with both?

Flora (Ludacris) (shipitlikefedex) | 150 comments Ugh. Tell meh! I love both Will and Jem. Ugh. But my time table is damn constraint and I can't even go to a bookshop. :/

message 10: by Candy4u (new) - added it

Candy4u | 12 comments MyNameIsFloRa-NiCe wrote: "Ugh. Tell meh! I love both Will and Jem. Ugh. But my time table is damn constraint and I can't even go to a bookshop. :/"

First, Tessa and Will ends up. Then Will dies and she ends up with Jem. Like, idk, who to ship. So confused lol

Flora (Ludacris) (shipitlikefedex) | 150 comments Wait wait. How did, Holy cow, Will freaking die? And how did Tess and Will break up? Their relationship or literally?

Aleksiel | 136 comments MyNameIsFloRa-NiCe wrote: "Wait wait. How did, Holy cow, Will freaking die? And how did Tess and Will break up? Their relationship or literally?"

I haven't read the book yet, but according to the spoilers I've seen Will dies of age and Jem (Tessa breaks up with him to be with Will)becomes immortal, so he and Tessa get together present days. I honestly think this ending sucks and makes Tessa a total bitch.

Flora (Ludacris) (shipitlikefedex) | 150 comments Well, to the person above meh. Well... Uh. I'm at a loss of words. But how did Jem become an Immortal? And why... *chokes on tears* I can't help my fandom anymore.

Aleksiel | 136 comments MyNameIsFloRa-NiCe wrote: "Well, to the person above meh. Well... Uh. I'm at a loss of words. But how did Jem become an Immortal? And why... *chokes on tears* I can't help my fandom anymore."

Well, it didn't make much sense to me - Magnus heals Jem, Jem becomes a silent brother. His new name is now Zachariah. He is said to be the one Tessa is holding hands in the pic Cassie posted as spoiler a few day ago (the one on the bridge). I don't know how if he is a silent brother can be with anyone. Guess we will see, may be someone who actually read it can explain.

Flora (Ludacris) (shipitlikefedex) | 150 comments Aleksiel wrote: "MyNameIsFloRa-NiCe wrote: "Well, to the person above meh. Well... Uh. I'm at a loss of words. But how did Jem become an Immortal? And why... *chokes on tears* I can't help my fandom anymore."

Well..."

Hmmm... So you trusted those spoilers? They might be wrong you know...

message 16: by Jennifer (last edited Mar 19, 2013 05:13AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jennifer (ivashkovlover) | 78 comments Jem does become a silent brother for a hundred something years until Magnus finds a cure. Jem says goodbye but one day every year he meets up with Tessa. Tessa does marry Will and will dies of old age. 71 years after Wills death Tessa is meeting up with Jem at their yearly spot and he is human again! He wants to be with her but thinks she doesn't love him like Will and runs away. Tessa chases him and tells him she has loved him all this time and wants to be with him. They kiss and and get together!!!!!! I was crying happy tears! But it is still weird she was with Will first and had kids and everything! I wonder if she will have kids with Jem? She says she doesn't like outliving her kids though so when they were old she just ditched them which is weird.

Aleksiel | 136 comments Jennifer wrote: "Jem does become a silent brother for a hundred something years until Magnus finds a cure. Jem says goodbye but one day every year he meets up with Tessa. Tessa does marry Will and will dies of old ..."

So is Jem brother Zachariah or not?

Jennifer (ivashkovlover) | 78 comments Aleksiel wrote: "So is Jem brother Zachariah or not?"

Yup! So all our theories were right after all. I was kind of hoping we were wrong. It was sad Jem had to be a silent brother for 130 years before Magnus finally found a cure.

Katrina (nerding) | 6 comments Honestly, I am kinda happy with the way it ended because it pleases both ends of who Tessa ended up with I guess. I must say though, does anyone else feel like they lost a part of themselves with the final book? OH and hi, I am new :3

Richa (cityofbooks) | 54 comments I just finished it! OMG IT WAS SO BEAUTIFUL <3
But I cried so much omg.. Especially in the epilogue where Will's death was described :(
And I always knew it was Jem who became a Silent Brother! Thank god he became free from it finally, though. I'm happy with the ending :)

Jessica  (stuckinotherworlds) So Tessa ended up with both of them?

Marie | 1 comments At first I hated the endding, then I loved it and now I hate and love it at the same time. It's a perfect endinng and it's also the most frustrating one I've ever read. But in the end I love it because unlike most series's endings, I don't feel indifferent to it. It makes me feel so many emotions at the same time.

I'm uset that Will had to die but the way it was described, with Jem playing violin...it was beautiful and it made me cry a little bit and I don't cry often reading books. I also undertstand why Tessa ''ditched '' her kids. Staying with them and watchin die like Will would have been too painfull for her and I think a lot of parents in her situation would do the same. Nobody wants to see their children die. And I'm sure it wasn't an easy decision for Tessa.

The only thing I'm dissapointed about is that Tessa will have to watch Jem die just like she had to watch Will die. Despite the fact that I've always and will always like Will better than Jem, I think I would have been happier knowing that Tessa at least had Jem to spend the rest of her life with.

message 23: by Jennifer (last edited Mar 19, 2013 12:37PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jennifer (ivashkovlover) | 78 comments Yeah I'm really sad that the cure didn't make Jem immortal because I wanted Tessa and Jem to have forever. But like Magnus said being immortal sucks and you have to lose lots of people you love otherwise you risk having no love in your life. For a second Tessa wasn't sure if she could handle loving and losing Jem but she knew it was worth it to have him in her life!!! AWWWWWWWW! I love and hate the ending because I wanted Tessa with Jem and she is but she was with Will first which kind of ruins my happiness.

Efrat | 38 comments I also don't know whether to hate/love the ending. I mean, it's lovely and all that Tessa gets both guys, at different stages of life, with the ability to have kids, but I feel a bit like it was tagged on- that she gets Will, and then oh, by the way, Jem is able to be cured and remove the curse, and then Tessa gets to spend years with him! (And of course, he didn't age over 130 years...conveniently...). I assume the cure was in the Book of White though. And, I also feel like it was a bit too convenient that Tessa can have kids- because a child of a unmarked Shadowhunter and a demon can (pretty conveniently). But, all in all a good read...

Efrat | 38 comments Can someone fill me in on something quickly regarding the family tree- I can't see it so well via the Kindle copy- the extended trees are in the books- special editions? And Emma is unrelated to Jem directly (from Elias Carstairs' line?) Do Tessa/Jem have kids at all- that we can see from the family tree- or just with Will?

Efrat | 38 comments Things I loved: Charlotte's kids being Fairchilds and not Branwells- now we can see truly where Clary's hair comes from.
All the things I predicted (Sophie/Gideon, Gabriel/Cecily, Adele being a family name and Tessa being a Shadowhunter decendant) came true, which is awesome.
The conversations between Will/Jem/Tessa are AWESOME.
And Magnus is fabulous.
Loved also the running theme of letters between the Consul/Clave/Charlotte- beautifully done.

Audrey | 5 comments there was only one thing that truly bothered me throughout this book and it was how when Tessa found out jem died she hooked up with Will not to later. it was like come on! At least wait awhile! but besides that I thought it was an amazing book and was worth staying up until 2 in the morning to finish.

Flora (Ludacris) (shipitlikefedex) | 150 comments I just love Clockwork Princess. I don't have to burn the books after all. Yay! ^^ Love you, Jem! I'm sorry you and Will have to die, but you guys did live a fulfilling life, didn't you? And you guys totally made Tessa suffer, those feels, dude. Feels! YESH!

Flora (Ludacris) (shipitlikefedex) | 150 comments Btw, what's with Jessamine?

message 30: by Fifth Horseman (last edited Mar 20, 2013 03:09AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Fifth Horseman (fifthhorseman) Now that is how you write a love triangle.
By The Angel, that was good. :)
And that epilogue! There's snot all over my kindle

By the way, who else thought that Tessa was totally kick ass when she shifted into an ANGEL?!

Jennifer (ivashkovlover) | 78 comments Audrey wrote: "there was only one thing that truly bothered me throughout this book and it was how when Tessa found out jem died she hooked up with Will not to later. it was like come on! At least wait awhile! b..."

Yes I was so pissed and disgusted that both of them didn't at least grieve for Jem longer!!! Urg!!!!!

Jennifer (ivashkovlover) | 78 comments When Jem finds out about Will's feelings I was balling crying because Jem was as usual so incredibly nice about it! Oh why didn't you tell me? I would have called off the engagement *tears* Well I'm glad you love her so you will save her for me *tears* You have my blessing if it is worth anything *tears* OMG!!!!!!! JEM I LOVE YOU! If he had at least got to marry Tessa first maybe I'd be less bitter.

message 33: by Jade (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jade | 39 comments The best thing about this book was the fact that when Tessa ended up with both Will and Jem it didn't feel like a betrayal to either of them.
I got the feeling that Will would have been happy for Jem and Tessa to be together again after his death, that he would have wanted to be happy together.

My only sadness is now that Jem is mortal he too shall pass away. And when he is gone, there is no one left (other than Magnus and Church) of the London institute of Tessa's time. Tessa's existence will be even more lonely after that

Kim  *Mo Chridhe* (KimtheBookCrier) *sigh* I don't know what to feel. But I do know that I believe in OTPs, not TTPs.

I'm not saying that people could only love once. We've seen it happen. People remarry. But to have equal love for two people at once is an idea that's hard for me to understand. I would have been happy if Tessa ended up marrying either Will or Jem because I liked them both, even if I personally was more attracted to Will. Even if she didn't "play" them per se, how could her heart be 100% devoted to one when she has feelings for another? It doesn't make sense to me.

And I don't understand the idea of Jem becoming a silent brother. What did I miss? I must reread the part where his decision to become one was mentioned. I could only recall him saying that he'd rather die. What happened that made him change his mind? And if silent brothers could supposedly feel no emotion, once the cure was found, wouldn't he have been indifferent towards the idea? How could he been in love with Tessa all those years?

Things do not add up!

message 35: by Jade (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jade | 39 comments Things do add up, at least in my head they do.

Jem decided not to die as he understood that both Will and Tessa needed him to be alive. His choice as a to become a Silent Brother was not explictly mentioned in the book as that would have ruined the surprise for when he came later as Brother Zachariah.

Jem did mention to Tessa in the last meeting that he will never become a true Silent Brother, that there will always be a difference between him and them as the YinFen in him would not allow him to complete all the rituals and take on all the runes. I suspect this is why he can still have feelings for Tessa. It is also mentioned somewhere in the TMI series that Brother Zachariah seemed more humane than the other Brothers.

I hope this helps. I read the book last night, and some of the details escape me, and it has been a ong time since I last read TMI

Kim  *Mo Chridhe* (KimtheBookCrier) Jade wrote: "Things do add up, at least in my head they do.

Jem decided not to die as he understood that both Will and Tessa needed him to be alive. His choice as a to become a Silent Brother was not explictly..."

Thank you for the clarification! =) I do remember Clary saying in the last TMI book that Brother Zachariah seemed more human than the others. I guess I'd just have to believe that Jem is the exception to the rule (of being a Silent Brother).

But if he had decided to be alive for Will and Tessa, doesn't that contradict what he said about living for himself earlier in the book? That if he did live for a few more days it wouldn't be his choice. Didn't he say that he doesn't wish to live forever?

Or maybe he did believe that he was gonna die in the process of becoming a Silent Brother and so he just decided to go through with it? Or maybe the thought of leaving Tessa to Mortmain's hands was too much for him to bear that he'd rather live as a Silent Brother and attempt to fight in order to save her.

But overall, the idea of Jem being a Silent Brother doesn't bother me as much as the thought that Tessa didn't really make a choice, not for me anyway. Had Jem not have gone away to be a Silent Brother would she still have married him? And what of Will? I wish there was an epilogue or a part of the last chapter where we knew of his thoughts and feelings. I know he loved Jem and have accepted Tessa's feelings for him but I wonder if he ever felt, not jealous, but sad I guess, that he never had Tessa's heart fully...

Anyway, those are just my musings and thoughts about the book. Maybe Cassie Clare meant for some questions to be unanswered.

message 37: by Jennifer (last edited Mar 20, 2013 10:00AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jennifer (ivashkovlover) | 78 comments Yeah I was also wondering how Will really felt? I mean didn't he feel like second choice? Like if Jem lived then Tessa wouldn't have been with him and I thought that if Jem died he couldn't be with Tessa because it would feel like taking pleasure in Jem's death?! So isn't Will taking pleasure in Jem being stuck as a silent brother?!!!!!!! It isn't like Jem is living it up as a silent brother but Will is living it up with Tessa while Jem serves as one?!?!?! And did he ever wonder if after he died that Tessa might get with Jem? Or did he just assume Jem would be a silent brother forever?!

message 38: by Jade (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jade | 39 comments I seem to remember Jem explaining his decision to Tessa, but right now I can't remember. I'll probably look it up later, or when I reread it.

To be honest, I don't think either Jem or Will felt sad for not having all of her heart. Because they are parabatai, their souls are knit. In many ways, loving Jem was loving Will and vice versa. It always seemed to me that Tessa's love for one did no diminish her love for the other. Like it said in the book, there was no lack of love between the three of them, happiness was their biggest wish for each other, no matter the price it came at, be it their own sacrifice, or that of the worlds.

message 39: by Jennifer (last edited Mar 20, 2013 10:16AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jennifer (ivashkovlover) | 78 comments I kind of did get that as parabatai they loved each other completely unselfishly. I think it is just hard for most of us to understand because I wouldn't feel like someone truly loved me if they could just go off and be with my best friend?!?! But I guess it is different for them. Also like Tessa said in the epilogue that she thinks she loved them both so much because of the love they had for each other. I would just rather she loved Jem more!!! LOL

Kim  *Mo Chridhe* (KimtheBookCrier) Jennifer wrote: "I kind of did get that as parabatai they loved each other completely unselfishly. I think it is just hard for most of us to understand because I wouldn't feel like someone truly loved me if they co..."

I guess that's it. It's a hard concept to understand because we don't know what it's like to have a parabatai. Maybe if Will was a mere human then he'd feel such a thing as being second choice (like how I'm feeling about him) but what he feels for Jem transcends even his own feelings. I don't know what I'm saying anymore. Haha!

message 41: by Jade (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jade | 39 comments You could see Jem and Will as one soul between two people. After all, each is only alive because of the other. They owe each other so much.

And the situation between them changed when Jem found out that Will also loved Tessa. Jem gave his blessing for Will to chase after Tessa, Jem knew he wasn't going to survive in a form that would allow him to spend his life with Tessa. He chose to give his parabatai the last happiness he could grant him. As long as Will and Tessa were happy, then Jem would be happy as well.

Efrat | 38 comments For whoever asked about Jessamine- she died, after being sent home from the Silent City, having served her sentence. The Institute was attacked by Mortmain, and she died in the fighting. She also gave them the clue as to where Mortmain was hiding before she died- and is still 'alive' as a ghost.

Ms. Clare has said that Will and Jem are unlike parabatai- they have a deep and undying friendship that is not always true in all cases. They are the exception, not the rule. I'm impressed that they were so unselfish with each other even about love!

Kim- he wasn't sure if he would die or not- he couldn't know if the drug had left enough to allow him to survive the runes of the Silent Brotherhood, but he had to try- worst case- he dies anyway. The runes did work, arresting his death, but because of the drug still left, he couldn't have everything.

And I LOVED the fact that Jem still had MUSIC as a silent brother- he played for Will as Will was dying- totally a very touching moment!

Aleksiel | 136 comments How is Emma related to Jem?

Kim  *Mo Chridhe* (KimtheBookCrier) I feel a less unsettled now that I have re-read the epilogue. Again, my inability to comprehend how Tessa felt stems from not understanding and knowing how it is to have a Parabatai.

Aleksiel, Jem is a descendant of Jem's uncle. He had married and had children.

What parts made you guys cry? The first one that did it for me was in the prologue when Charlotte was observing Will and Jem and as Jem held out the knife to Will she felt as if she was watching something important happen.

But there were so many parts that brought me to tears. This was such a beautiful series ender.

Jennifer (ivashkovlover) | 78 comments OMG I cried at everything! I cried at Jem's love for Tessa! I cried when Will talked about how every November 10th Jem always made up an excuse to take Will's mind off things. I cried when Jem found out about Will and Tessa and Jem said he was glad that they would have each other and that Tessa would grow to love Will. I cried when Jem said he was sad he wouldn't see Charlotte's baby! OMG I'm crying right now just typing! I cried when Will thought Jem died. I cried at the epilogue even though Jem and Tessa were finally together!!!

message 46: by Margarita (new)

Margarita (margogr96991) | 46 comments So Tessa is like the great great great great grandmother of Jace!Epic! I'm sad to find out that Will dies in the end but it was expected i guess. He was human unlike Tessa. Oh well! I'll still read the last to books in the TID:D

★ Mist ☆ Cassidy ★ (rockclimbingirl) | 23 comments Does anyone else feel kind of emotionless after reading the ending?

I think only Cassandra Clare could of managed to write an ending like this one, where all the fans could be content with who she ended up with.

It answered so many questions about TMI though!

Did anyone else have like a freakout attack when Magnus gave Will the necklace and then Will gave it to Cecily, basically sealing her fate to marry Gabriel? Or when Will wound up with the Herondale star on his shoulder?

And now we know how Church got to the New York Institute!

Anyone else soooooo happy with how the Sophie/Gideon realtionship played out? I think they're my favourite couple in both of the Shadowhunter series, to be honest...

message 48: by Jade (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jade | 39 comments But she didn't explain how the star really got to Will's shoulder? They woke up the next morning, and voila! There's the Herondale mark

Richa (cityofbooks) | 54 comments Wait I don't get the stuff about the necklace.. is that in TMI?

★ Mist ☆ Cassidy ★ (rockclimbingirl) | 23 comments Jade wrote: "But she didn't explain how the star really got to Will's shoulder? They woke up the next morning, and voila! There's the Herondale mark"

It was from Tessa's angel touching his shoulder. In COG, I believe Amatis said that all Herondale's held the mark since one of their ancestors were 'touched by an angel'. :)

« previous 1 3 4