Pick-a-Shelf discussion

86 views
The Box > Challenge Suggestions

Comments Showing 1-50 of 68 (68 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Tien (new)

Tien (tiensblurb) | 8675 comments Mod
Some of you have commented that we have the most inventive games ever! *huge grin*

However, as you would also know, a couple ideas were generated from banters within the group ;)
I'll take this opportunity to also thank you for your participation in the group and being so much fun to be with

So, whilst I know some of you are involved in other groups and probably would like to use your own challenge ideas there, others are mainly involved in this group. We'd like to hear from both groups, however, in your ideas (if you're willing to share) or types of challenges you'd like to see in this group.

What would you like to be challenged in?
Do you like specific tasks?
Do you like our challenges to be focused around shelves?
Do you like the way our games have been set up lately - one big one and a few smaller ones going on at the same time?
How many challenges would you like to see / participate in in a year?
Would you like to be more involved -get your feet wet and run a challenge or two?
etc...

*psst, am not running out of ideas -in fact, I've already got 2 big ideas which may play out in 2014 & 2015 but I do want to hear what you'd like to be challenged in and see if I can fit them in :)


message 2: by LynnB (new)

LynnB | 1643 comments I like the games you've set up and would like to see more like them. You are so very creative! I don't like tasks to be toooooo specific but semi-specific is good. I do like to have a game or two going on, but if there are too many at once, I find I have to pick and choose even though I may want to be involved in more games -- and this causes stress ;)


message 3: by Tien (last edited Mar 18, 2013 05:09PM) (new)

Tien (tiensblurb) | 8675 comments Mod
LynnB wrote: "I like the games you've set up and would like to see more like them. You are so very creative! I don't like tasks to be toooooo specific but semi-specific is good. I do like to have a game or two g..."

Thanks, LynnB :)

Could you please let me know what you mean by 'semi-specific' as opposed to 'toooooo specific'? Maybe an example?

Current challenges are LOST & moving mountains (annual), Nellie Bly (at own pace), and Book-a-Fort (at group's pace). Is that too many? Even if you can crossover? Note: I've not included POTS because it may be integrated as a regular group activity depending on responses

I know, you've probably got other challenges on too! ;p


message 4: by Lyn (Readinghearts) (last edited Mar 18, 2013 07:24PM) (new)

Lyn (Readinghearts) (lsmeadows) | 2826 comments Mod
I agree with LynnB, Tien, you are the master at challenges and your creativity and imagination amaze me.

As for the number of challenges. I particulary like the ability to crossover. My one other group that has great challenges, they do not allow the books to cross over and it makes it really hard because you do have to pick and choose carefully.


message 5: by LynnB (new)

LynnB | 1643 comments Tien wrote: "Could you please let me know what you mean by 'semi-specific' as opposed to 'toooooo specific'? Maybe an example?"

Semi-specific is, for example, choosing a particular shelf, a "green book cover", written in 1978 or a teen protagonist.

Too-specific (which you haven't done, but other groups I've been in have done) is saying it has to be a Sookie Stackhouse, written by Jane Austen, or one of "these four books".

Is that too many? Even if you can crossover?

LOST and Moving Mountains are very individual, so they don't cause any problems at all. In fact, they have both been very helpful to my TBR issues :) Book-A-Fort is great; I like the cooperative effort. Nellie Bly was very good, though I felt more competitive than I should have to get it done quickly, even though it was "at your own pace" (guess that's just me, there). POTS I haven't decided about yet ... it's a bit iffy in that you have to depend on just one other person and if they drop out, you don't have any fall-back.

And, yes, having crossover is very helpful makes it much easier to do more than one game. I guess in more detailed thinking about it, the pace of games has been good, I just personally don't want too many going at once because I have this "need" to join in on them all :)


message 6: by Lyn (Readinghearts) (last edited Mar 18, 2013 07:48PM) (new)

Lyn (Readinghearts) (lsmeadows) | 2826 comments Mod
LynnB wrote: "Tien wrote: "Could you please let me know what you mean by 'semi-specific' as opposed to 'toooooo specific'? Maybe an example?"

Semi-specific is, for example, choosing a particular shelf, a "green..."


Thanks for the feedback on the POTS game, Lynn. The fact that you are relying on only one other person was certainly a concern when we were devising the game. There is a provision that the game be played in teams instead of just pairs of buddies, would that be better. BUT - with that provision, everyone in the team still had to finish the stated number of books. What I think you are saying, though, is that you would possibly prefer teams, and a minimum number of members need to finish?

I would love to hear your ideas about how to address that concern. I will think about it tonight also.


And I certainly understand your need to join in them all, lol. I always tell people I am challenge challenged. :)


message 7: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 2587 comments I like the idea of teams - I kind of thought that was going to originally be how it played out...so like 4 of us signed up for 2 books...all 4 had to read at least one book and report to win


Lyn (Readinghearts) (lsmeadows) | 2826 comments Mod
Dee wrote: "I like the idea of teams - I kind of thought that was going to originally be how it played out...so like 4 of us signed up for 2 books...all 4 had to read at least one book and report to win"

Thanks Dee. :) Do you have any ideas about how to address the issue of one team member dropping out?


message 9: by LynnB (new)

LynnB | 1643 comments Lyn M wrote: " What I think you are saying, though, is that you would possibly prefer teams, and a minimum number of members need to finish? "

I do enjoy cooperative efforts of everyone or being able to control it myself (control issues!!) rather than as a small team. But if we are to do things as a small team, I would like to find a way to solve the issue of dropouts. Most people continue on, but there are always a couple that don't. I'm not quite sure how to do that fairly so I hope someone has a brilliant idea (that would not be me). Or I guess that the team would just not finish.


message 10: by Bea (new)

Bea | 4657 comments Mod
Tien, I love your creative mind and the games/challenges you come up with. I also like the fact that many of the challenges allow crossovers.

I am struggling with POTS, though. Due to the fact that I am not a fast reader based on health, home, and work issues, I am feeling particularly worried that my partner has been matched up with me. It puts the pressure on me to read only to keep her from being so far behind...so that POTS becomes my only reading focus. Because of this, I have seriously considered not particpating at the next signup in May as reading is now a chore rather than a love at least for this particular game.

My partner deserves a better team-mate.


message 11: by D.G. (new)

D.G. | 1370 comments I think having more selections on POTS would be helpful. Of the 4 books my partner suggested, I dnfed one so now I only have 3 left. I'm enjoying the one I'm reading now and will probably like one of the others but I'd be nervous if I didn't like the second one.


message 12: by Tien (new)

Tien (tiensblurb) | 8675 comments Mod
There were the 2 sticking points, Lyn & I have discussed over when putting POTS together.

It was supposed to be similar to the chain gang in that someone else is picking a book for you to read from your TBR shelf... with the aim to chip that insurmountable pile we all have

re: members dropping out or not finishing... that was one of the reason we created the 'reward' system of whichever pair / team finish their first books to choose a theme for next round.

This is definitely a challenge where we would need firm commitment though of course, there would be times (health issues etc) may hold up our reading so whilst we'd like commitment, we also don't want to bar people from participating. I think like Bea, I'd expect people would like to not disappoint their partner / team member. That would be the main motivation.

Bea - if you'd like to continue to participate, you could let us know (next sign up) how you are going and we can put it up if anyone would like to partner up with you. I'm sure we won't be short of hands ;)

@DG: you've nomimated 2 books, haven't you? How many choices would you like there to be?


message 13: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 2587 comments maybe give the partners a range to pick from so minimum double (4 books, max 8 or something like that) - I was lucky, my partner did give me a range to pick from and so I did for her as well - I also tried to pick a range or lengths/genres etc


message 14: by Kim (last edited Mar 19, 2013 08:48AM) (new)

Kim If anyone was ever interested in having a team challenge in this group, I would be happy to do a battleship challenge. I created a challenge based on Battleship for my kids to do last summer called Battleshelf to encourage them to read. :)

Players are put into teams and are given a 5 X 5 board with shelves that are easy to find lots of books for like 2013, mystery, ebooks, fantasy, etc. Each team will try to be the first to find and sink their 3 ships (hidden by the moderator - every team has a different board). As a team, you decide what shelf you want to go for and everyone reads a book on that shelf. When everyone has read their book, you can take a shot and find out if it's a miss or a hit. I only let my kids take a shot every 7 days or more, so that way it didn't favor the kids who had more time to read.


message 15: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 2587 comments oh that's cool kim! I'd love to use that in another group if you wouldn't mind (I can pm you with details) - we were toying with the idea of doing a bingo challenge, but this is seriously unique ;)


message 16: by Kim (new)

Kim Dee wrote: "oh that's cool kim! I'd love to use that in another group if you wouldn't mind (I can pm you with details) - we were toying with the idea of doing a bingo challenge, but this is seriously unique ;)"

Sure, Dee! If you do it, can I play?? I LOVE, LOVE battleship and it was so fun to do with my kids. They didn't have time to get through the whole game before school started and I was so bummed we didn't have time to finish, LOL!

I love playing Bingo, but I like this game, because there is a little bit of skill involved too, in knowing where to take a shot. :)


message 17: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 2587 comments sure - its in my Outlander group - i'll pm you the link


message 18: by D.G. (new)

D.G. | 1370 comments That idea sounds fabulous! I'd love to participate. :)


message 19: by Lauren (last edited Mar 19, 2013 01:57PM) (new)

Lauren (laurenjberman) | 1089 comments I love the idea of a Battleship team challenge too. That game brings back fond memories of sinking all my brother's ships. Would definitely participate!


message 20: by Bea (new)

Bea | 4657 comments Mod
Tien wrote: "I think like Bea, I'd expect people would like to not disappoint their partner / team member. That would be the main motivation."

Well, I hope I didn't disappoint Amy this go....I just posted our first completed books, AND it looks like we were the first on the report thread!

Now as I understand it, I have the rest of the time (42 days) to read the next book...no hurry, correct?


message 21: by D.G. (new)

D.G. | 1370 comments WTG, Bea and Amy!


message 22: by Bea (new)

Bea | 4657 comments Mod
Like DG, I found initially that the four books (my number is 2) turned out to be a problem. Two of the books selected for me by my partner were BIG BOOKS. So, if I did not want to tackle those, I was left with the other two - one of which I had started in the past and not finished. Sooo I was not overly excited about my choices.

However, now that I have completed the first book, I realize that I could tackle a BIG BOOk as I have 6 weeks to read it in, which means if I do not like my second book...I have TIME!

My other comment has to do with the shelf choice. I had my partner select from my LOST shelf, which is LOST for a reason. LOL. I wanted help in getting some of those books read, but it does not include a lot of books I am really excited to get a chance to read. Sooo....shelf selection for the person to pick from is key also in getting good books!


message 23: by Lyn (Readinghearts) (last edited Mar 19, 2013 04:30PM) (new)

Lyn (Readinghearts) (lsmeadows) | 2826 comments Mod
Just a question for you all about the POTS game.

I have done this challenge in another group and there are two main differences between this one and the way that the other group runs it.

1. In the other group, there is no incentive to finish first, last, or at all. Members simply pick books for other members who are then "challenged" to read the book/books in the alloted amount of time. It is less of a group effort and more of a personal challenge and a way to help others choose what book to read next and pare down their huge TBRs.

2. The team members each pick for all the other team members, therefore the amount of choices you have is the amount of books that you chose to read x the amount of members in your team.

In discussing and developing this game, we thought about both of these differences. The concerns were:

1. As far as giving an incentive to be the first team finished with the first book, we wanted to encourage people to complete their reading, but do it in a positive way. Do you all think that this detracts from the purpose of the game, which is to help each other whittle down our TBRs?

2. Although having every team member pick for every other team member would give you more choices, I think, the concern here was that it would get unwieldy and complicate things if each person had to pick books for more than one person. The fear was that the time that it would take to go through three or four different people's shelves to find books for each member would be too time consuming. So my question is..How time consuming was it to pick the books for the other member? Would you rather pick for more than one person, or just one?

Additionally, it seemed that most teams picked their books pretty quickly and then were just sitting around waiting to read. Do you think 7 days was too long to leave for the picking? Would you rather have more time to read?


message 24: by Tien (new)

Tien (tiensblurb) | 8675 comments Mod
Kim wrote: "If anyone was ever interested in having a team challenge in this group, I would be happy to do a battleship challenge. I created a challenge based on Battleship for my kids to do last summer calle..."

That's an awesome idea, Kim. In a way, Book-a-Fort is similar to it except that we've only got one big team.

Thanks for your input and it looks like your idea's been snapped up pretty quickly ;)


message 25: by D.G. (new)

D.G. | 1370 comments 1. As far as giving an incentive to be the first team finished with the first book, we wanted to encourage people to complete their reading, but do it in a positive way. Do you all think that this detracts from the purpose of the game, which is to help each other whittle down our TBRs?

I didn't realize there was going to be pressure to start the first book so that put me off a bit. However, when I realized my partner was taking her time too, then I was less stressed out.

How time consuming was it to pick the books for the other member? Would you rather pick for more than one person, or just one?
It took me a 10 minutes tops. But then I have practice at this sort of thing. I'd prefer if we get more choices either by picking for more people or increasing the number of options.

Do you think 7 days was too long to leave for the picking? Would you rather have more time to read? 7 days was fine for me. It's rare that I can start a book immediately.


Lyn (Readinghearts) (lsmeadows) | 2826 comments Mod
D.G. wrote: "1. As far as giving an incentive to be the first team finished with the first book, we wanted to encourage people to complete their reading, but do it in a positive way. Do you all think that this ..."

Thanks for the comments, D.G.

I actually hadn't thought about the fact that the 7 days might be good because participants may not be able to start a book right away. That is a good point.


message 27: by Bea (new)

Bea | 4657 comments Mod
1. As far as giving an incentive to be the first team finished with the first book, we wanted to encourage people to complete their reading, but do it in a positive way. Do you all think that this detracts from the purpose of the game, which is to help each other whittle down our TBRs?

I would not ordinarily be one to care about being the first team done. However, I left for a surprise weekend with my husband and came back to find that my partner, Amy, had completed her book in one day. Since I had just started my book on the return to home, the pressure was definitely on! But, all that said, not everyone is motivated by the same thing - and, for me, the pressure was not to let my partner down.

How time consuming was it to pick the books for the other member? Would you rather pick for more than one person, or just one?

It was relatively quick, although I had to go back again as initially I only picked 2 - and then I realized I was to pick 2+2.

In trying to think why it might work to have each member pick at least one book for each other team member, I realized that the one picking would be looking at a variety of shelves (each person's POTS shelf would differ) and each picker would base his/her selection on their own reading history - thus providing the pickee with a variety of reading suggestions that might not be achieved by one person picking. Am I making sense?

Do you think 7 days was too long to leave for the picking? Would you rather have more time to read?

Yes and no. Like DG, I seldom start a book right away and I had others that I wanted to finish; so the week delay was fine. But, not everyone is working on challenges from other groups so it might have seemed long to them. (Please speak up if this applies to you.)

I usually have at least 3-5 books going. And, as some are library books, they have a deadline for me to meet. I always have something to read.


message 28: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (laurenjberman) | 1089 comments While I don't mind there being an incentive for people to finish first, I'm not a fan of being pressured - if I feel rushed then I don't enjoy the book as much so I'm glad that my partner and I are taking our time. It also gives us time to discuss the books, which is great and one of the reasons I signed up.

The timing is fine with me - I also may not be able to start a book right away.


message 29: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 2587 comments maybe instead of the group that finishes first - all teams that finish and post can be put in a randomizer and a name draw and that is how the next theme is decided? still incentive to finish by a certain date (you could set it), but not to necessarily finish first

7 days is fine for me - it adds to the anticipation of th ebook


message 30: by LynnB (new)

LynnB | 1643 comments Dee wrote: "maybe instead of the group that finishes first - all teams that finish and post can be put in a randomizer and a name draw and that is how the next theme is decided? still incentive to finish by a..."

I like the idea of the randomizer drawing. It would take pressure off and be fairer to those who read slower than others or who for some reason can't start their book the first day or two.


message 31: by Amy (new)

Amy | 2144 comments Bea wrote: "Tien, I love your creative mind and the games/challenges you come up with. I also like the fact that many of the challenges allow crossovers.

I am struggling with POTS, though. Due to the fact th..."


Please don't feel pressured, Bea. I have a lot of time to read so I can finish books quickly. I was afraid to hold you up...LOL! I wasn't concerned with being the winning team and should have discussed that with you from the outset. My sincere apologies!

I completely understand that health issues can make reading difficult at times, so please relax and enjoy your next book at a leisurely pace. Know that I would gladly be paired with you again so don't hesitate to join for the next segment if you so desire.


message 32: by Susan (new)

Susan | 3450 comments Mod
Dee wrote: "sure - its in my Outlander group - i'll pm you the link"

Maybe you could post the link here for the rest of us, too?


message 33: by Dee (last edited Mar 21, 2013 12:13PM) (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 2587 comments Can do ;)

http://www.goodreads.com/group/show/9... - here is the group link - we prob not going to do it til may/June though


message 34: by Susan (new)

Susan | 3450 comments Mod
Wow! I hadn't noticed this thread, and there have been many responses already. I'll try not to repeat things that others have already said.

About POTS: I really don't think we should worry too much about what to do if someone drops out. The very beginning is when we need each other, for choosing the books; after that, we're each reading on our own. It's not like we will really lose anything if our mini-group doesn't finish. I'd hate to see people leave themselves out because they were worried about the pressure.

The 7 days seemed just right to me. Time "waiting to start" also means time waiting for the book to arrive.

About other challenges:
I've just started branching out and adding in a few challenges in other groups. I've discovered I do have strong preferences. They're sort of like the "semi-specific" idea LynnB mentioned, but not exactly. I don't like requirements that seem totally arbitrary (like spelling out the word "spring" because it's spring, for example). I do like things that are in some way content-connected, as many of ours have been -- after all, we're the pick-a-shelf group, and I do like to see that continue as a part of our challenges. I also enjoy things that make the challenge into a puzzle. I think you had one before I started where the first letter of the next book was determined by the last word of the prior book, or something like that?

I'd always like to have something going on, or nearly ready to start. In addition to Mt-TBR and LOST, I mean. Since the big one we're doing right now is a group one, we won't have the problem I've sometimes noticed in the past -- some people have finished but have to wait for everyone else to be done before a new one can be rolled out. That's when a small one in addition to the big one could be nice.

Most of all, THANK YOU for all the time and effort you put into setting these up!


message 35: by Bea (new)

Bea | 4657 comments Mod
Amy wrote: "Please don't feel pressured, Bea. I have a lot of time to read so I can finish books quickly. I was afraid to hold you up...LOL! I wasn't concerned with being the winning team and should have discussed that with you from the outset. My sincere apologies!

I completely understand that health issues can make reading difficult at times, so please relax and enjoy your next book at a leisurely pace. Know that I would gladly be paired with you again so don't hesitate to join for the next segment if you so desire."


Ha, Ha! Now you tell me! Oh, well. We need to come up with a theme so put your thinking cap on and we can discuss it closer to next signup.

And, thanks for saying you would be willing to be paired up with me. You are sweet.

Overall, Tien, I think you are very creative, so I trust you to come up with something to really inspire us. Me, I just love challenges but I need to find a way to pick and choose so I am not doing so many at cross-purposes to each other.

BTW, I like that some are year-long like LOST and Mr. TBR.


message 36: by Tien (last edited Mar 21, 2013 03:28PM) (new)

Tien (tiensblurb) | 8675 comments Mod
Thank you, everyone, for your input so far. Please do keep them coming :)

The "incentive" to finish first is really meant to only be that - incentive. Though I can see now how it can easily be interpreted as pressure to finish first! Dee, I really like the idea of randomly drawing pairs / teams who finished reading their first books by end of cycle. Thanks!

Of everyone's thoughts, in summary, you would all be much more pleased to finish your picked books at leisure. And that's more than fine with me. I'm having a hard time just fitting our monthly shelf (I've only just started my March book! I kept forgetting that I needed to borrow it from the library). Our purpose is to assist in trimming down your TBR. In reference to the "incentive" & our first concern about people not finishing, this was generated from how slow the chain-gang was and I think some of us who were still playing at the end felt that it could do with a shake up. BUT... as POTS is designed in a way that runs in cycles, we'll have books picked for us at every cycle!

On choices / pickings, the other concern I had with each team member picking for each other (aside from taking some time) is that if we have the same participants, we'll be choosing books for each other over and over. Whilst we'd try to avoid pairing / putting into teams the same people, that may not always work out if the number of participants is low. not sure if I'm making sense here as I don't feel like I've articulated my thoughts clearly

If we increase the number of picks (again, thanks Dee, for the suggestion) with suggested mins & max numbers along with random recommendation of how to pick at every cycle - would that be work-able? For example;

Pick a minimum of double nominated number book but a maximum of 5 times nominated number of books.

Then each cycle, we can just randomly suggest an option or two for picking books (which do not have to be taken up):
*highest average rating
*highest number of rating
*book you've read and rated 5 stars
*book you've given up on
etc etc etc...


message 37: by Bea (new)

Bea | 4657 comments Mod
Tien wrote: "Then each cycle, we can just randomly suggest an option or two for picking books (which do not have to be taken up):
*highest average rating
*highest number of rating
*book you've read and rated 5 stars
*book you've given up on
etc etc etc... ..."


Tien, I also like the random choice among everyone finishing idea. That allows fast and slow readers the chance to be included.

Regarding the suggestion for picking books...LOL. When I went to Amy's shelf, I really did not know how to pick for her as we have read few books in common. I finally found a couple of authors I recognized and picked those. And, then noticed others had picked books with different critera like highest rated. So I used those for the other picks. My point is sometimes the team members might not have many books in common so a variety of idea helps are needed.


message 38: by Lyn (Readinghearts) (last edited Mar 21, 2013 04:00PM) (new)

Lyn (Readinghearts) (lsmeadows) | 2826 comments Mod
Bea wrote: "1. As far as giving an incentive to be the first team finished with the first book, we wanted to encourage people to complete their reading, but do it in a positive way. Do you all think that this ..."

Bea - I think that you hit the nail on the head about the advantage of having multiple pickers, in both your original post and the one above.


message 39: by LynnB (new)

LynnB | 1643 comments Tien wrote: "Our purpose is to assist in trimming down your TBR. "

The other day my husband asked me if I had thinned out the books on one of my bookshelves! Mt. TBR and the other challenges are working!! Yes!


Lyn (Readinghearts) (lsmeadows) | 2826 comments Mod
That is good to know, Lynn. :)


message 41: by Tien (new)

Tien (tiensblurb) | 8675 comments Mod
LynnB wrote: "Tien wrote: "Our purpose is to assist in trimming down your TBR. "

The other day my husband asked me if I had thinned out the books on one of my bookshelves! Mt. TBR and the other challenges are ..."


Awesome! That's what we'd like to hear.


message 42: by [deleted user] (new)

I'm loving the challenges and games here ! In fact the most in all my groups ! Very inventive and fun challenges :D

I would love to participate in many more and the Battleship idea sounds really good !

P.s. - Tien 2014 and 15 ? We have to wait that long ! Noooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!


message 43: by Tien (last edited Aug 27, 2018 09:07PM) (new)

Tien (tiensblurb) | 8675 comments Mod
I'd like to know if anyone is interested in a replay of any of the previous challenges we've done? For those who haven't been in the group too long, I've included links below so you can see what challenges we've done (am including WoB too)

Wheel of Bookshelves (2018)
Scattershelves #2 (2017)
Going on a Book Hunt (2016)
Reader's Pursuit (2015)
Scattershelves (2014)
Book-a-Fort (2013)
Snakes & Ladders (2012)
ROAR (2011)
2010 had some mini games only as I took time off (pregnancy etc)
Shelf-a-thon (2009)

I'm not saying that this'll happen next year or even the year after nor will the re-play be exactly the same. As you saw with the Scattershelves replay, we did make some changes. I'm just gauging interest and of course, more ideas ;D

I'm also wondering what level of interest in team games are? I usually find them rather tiring (too much pressure from not wanting to let your teammates down & time frame to read a book etc) though it can be fun as you get to know your teammates rather well.


message 44: by Mell (new)

Mell (mellrouvray) | 145 comments Tien wrote: "I'd like to know if anyone is interested in a replay of any of the previous challenges we've done? For those who haven't been in the group too long, I've included links below so you can see what ch..."

I like the idea of the Shelf-a-thon or Snakes and Ladders. I like when my reading pace doesn't affect others! I haven't really stuck to any of these before, but I feel like something like these could work.


message 45: by LynnB (new)

LynnB | 1643 comments Tien wrote: "I'd like to know if anyone is interested in a replay of any of the previous challenges we've done? For those who haven't been in the group too long, I've included links below so you can see what ch..."

I enjoyed these games, though some more than others, and I wouldn't mind doing some again. Scattershelves, Readers Pursuit, and WoB were probably my favorites.

I usually stay away from reader team play because of the pressure to not let my teammates down ... or getting frustrated if they aren't keeping up. It's just a happier place to do it at my own speed.


message 46: by Tien (new)

Tien (tiensblurb) | 8675 comments Mod
LynnB wrote: "I enjoyed these games, though some more than others, and I wouldn't mind doing some again. Scattershelves, Readers Pursuit, and WoB were probably my favorites."

I think I see a trend... admittedly, those are the best on the list :D


message 47: by Marina (new)

Marina (sonnenbarke) | 1398 comments I haven't participated in any of the listed games in the past years, but I've given a look at them all and find them interesting but quite difficult to grasp. However, I assume that's just me, I need some time to get the gist of games - it was the same for Bookopoly, for instance, which I now find easy to follow after three years of playing it :)

I have participated in only one team game in another group, it was so much fun because, as you say Tien, all the participants got to know each other rather well. However, that was my only time because, again as you say, there is too much pressure to not let the other team players down. I cannot guarantee the same level of participation at all times, so I guess I'm not really fit for team games after all.


message 48: by Coralie (new)

Coralie | 1606 comments I liked Reader's Pursuit best. I also enjoyed ROAR and Wheel of Bookshelves. I missed Sshelf-a-thon and I have no memory whatsoever of playing Snakes and Ladders (although clearly I did).


message 49: by Tien (new)

Tien (tiensblurb) | 8675 comments Mod
I seem to like making up complicated games though really, once you started, they're pretty easy to get used to.

lol, Coralie, I don't think I know a time of where you haven't participated in any of PAS challenges :p


message 50: by Dee (last edited Aug 28, 2018 05:01AM) (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 2587 comments all of thee above??? ;)

but in all truth - ROAR, Build a Fort,


« previous 1
back to top