r/books discussion

Book-Related Discussion > What is your favorite book from your childhood?

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ashley (last edited Mar 18, 2013 12:51PM) (new)

Ashley (icecheeseplease) For those of you who grew up reading, what was your absolute favorite book as a child?

message 2: by Darren (new)

Darren Lee (slappa_da_bass) | 12 comments Without a doubt, the Harry Potter series.

message 3: by Rose, Mod (new)

Rose (rtrinh) | 153 comments Mod
Charlotte's Web, Harry Potter, and pretty much anything written by Roald Dahl come to mind...

message 4: by Andrew (new)

Andrew | 16 comments I really liked the dark materials trilogy but I read them when I was 10 or 11 so I don't know if that counts as child hood

message 5: by Ashley (new)

Ashley (icecheeseplease) Mine was an old Hans-Christian Anderson fairy tale picture book that I've had since I was a baby. And I also prized my collection of Shel Silverstein books as I got a little older.

message 6: by Darliza (new)

Darliza (parentheticals) | 92 comments I was crazy over Madeline L'engle's The Time Quartet as well as The Chronicles of Prydain. I grew up in the 90s so I also got a bit crazy over Nancy Drew, Hardy Boys, Encyclopedia Brown and Sweet Valley. lol. I was so into pop-lit then. and even now, TBH. :)

message 7: by Stephanie, Super Mod (new)

Stephanie (lastnightsbook) | 346 comments Mod
Sideway Stories from Wayside School, and the Hatchet series. And although I was not a child, but a teen when I read the Secret Garden, I just fell in love. Also not forgetting the Harry Potter series, but that's also a book I read a little older. I didn't exactly grow up reading a lot as a little kid, but I did as I got older.

message 8: by Ashley (last edited Mar 19, 2013 06:06AM) (new)

Ashley (icecheeseplease) Oh oh, also Space Cat. I LOVED that series. I was going to buy it for nostalgia reasons a while back so I looked it up on amazon/ebay....it's out of print and if you can find it at all it's going for at least $100! Gah!http://www.amazon.com/registry/wishli...

message 9: by Mark (new)

Mark Hebden (unisonlibrarian) | 5 comments Probably one of the Tintin books - Flight 714 maybe.

message 10: by Tom (new)

Tom Emerson (TreeRex) | 8 comments Pretty much anything by Piers Anthony: I loved Xanth, The Tarot, and the Apprentice Adept series, at least the first few books of them.

I also really loved Astrix.

message 11: by Ricardo (last edited Mar 22, 2013 04:16PM) (new)

Ricardo (ricardob) | 15 comments My favorite was probably King Solomon's Mines, but I also read a lot of Disney comics(favorites stories usually from the great Carl Banks), Tintin comics, and a long-running Portuguese book series for kids called "Uma aventura"(in 2013, to my surprise, it is 54 books long).

message 12: by Eli (new)

Eli | 7 comments Pendragon and Animorphs were my favorites when I was a little one. Harry Potter is the one I loved the most tho~

message 13: by David (new)

David (thekingthlayer) | 1 comments I enjoyed Silverstein's books and RL Stine, but my all time favorite would have to be The Hobbit. It was the first book I ever read that really swept me away and made feel like I was living out the story with the characters. I still like to go back to it every now and then.

message 14: by Rose, Mod (new)

Rose (rtrinh) | 153 comments Mod
Eli wrote: "Pendragon and Animorphs were my favorites when I was a little one. Harry Potter is the one I loved the most tho~"
Oh my goodness, I forgot all about Animorphs! I loved those books when I was young!

When I was really, really young I remember reading pretty much anything by Eric Carle too. Dr. Seuss comes to mind as well!

message 15: by Tima (new)

Tima Davydov (notoriouslynerdy) I used to love every single Amelia Bedelia book there ever was, of course though I'm taking childhood to mean start of elementary school.