FSC Book Club discussion

Whole Grains for a New Generation: Light Dishes, Hearty Meals, Sweet Treats, and Sundry Snacks for the Everyday Cook
This topic is about Whole Grains for a New Generation
Whole Grains, New Generation > {MEETING 4} Rye & Buckwheat

Comments Showing 1-25 of 25 (25 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Christine, FSC BOOK CLUB MODERATOR (new) - added it

Christine | 107 comments Mod
Hello Book Clubbers & Cook-A-Longers!

We are taking on rye and buckwheat this week. I'll be frank with you, I'm nervous. Neither of those whole grains are in my pantry. I've not cooked with either of them before, aside from the sporadic package of soba noodles that makes its way into dinner. But that's what this round of the FSC Book Club is all about- learning about and cooking with new-to-us whole grains!

You know the routine- let's pick a few recipes from Whole Grains for a New Generation: Light Dishes, Hearty Meals, Sweet Treats, and Sundry Snacks for the Everyday Cook and get started!

Remember, you can always go back to previous "challenges" and keep plugging away on those grains too. I didn't get to try nearly as many crazy oatmeal toppings last week as I wanted to, so I plan on using some of Liana's suggestions this week! Keep posting pictures & comments in any forum you'd like :)

Rye
Rye Berries with Braised Red Cabbage, Apples & Dried Currants, 199
Rye & Parmesan Supper Muffins, 211
Salted Rye Cookies, 217
Quick Rye Crackers, 237
Plaid Crackers, 238

Buckwheat
Fluffy Buckwheat Pancakes, 54
Walnut Waffles, 57
Buckwheat Crepes Filled Buttered Fruit and Sweet Ricotta, 58
Smoked Fish & Kasha Cakes with Watercress Salad & Creme Fraiche, 74
Icy, Spicy Soba Noodle Salad, 98
Cold Soba Noodles with Tahini, Lime, Cucumber & Shredded Chicken, 99
Soba Noodles in Dashi with Tofu & Kabocha Squash, 126
Soba Noodles with Shrimp & Sugar-Snap Peas, 127

Note, we may have missed some recipes in our grain round-up, so please feel free to scour the book yourself, too!

Your assignments:

First, pick a rye recipe, buckwheat recipe or both!

Second, try out one of the condiment recipes! Liana has a whole section of condiments to pair with other recipes. Since there aren't that many rye and buckwheat recipes, add this into the challenge if you'd like! Come back here and tell us what you made and how you used it!

Condiments
Gomashio, 248
Seedy Nut Topping, 249
Basic Vinaigrette, 249
Buttermilk-Yogurt Dressing with Chives, 250
Caramelized Onions with Thyme & Balsamic Vinegar, 250
Pimiento Cheese, 253
Sun-Dried Tomato Muhammara, 254
Nicole’s Spicy Red-Tomato Chutney, 255

As always, share your photos, tips & stories right here. What did you make? How did it turn out? How did you use it? Tell us about where else you posted, if you like. Did you write about it on your food blog? Share the link. Start the discussion. Ask questions about the recipes. Share anecdotes or tips you learned in the process. Upload your photos to this group (on the right-side toolbar, click “Photos” and then upload... tag with the relevant grain.) Post your photo on your Facebook page or right on From Scratch Club’s FB wall. Instagram and tweet us using the hastag #FSCBookClub. Blog about it. Pin it and add the photo to our FSC Book Club board on Pinterest.

Use these discussion forums as a place to chat about the recipes and the grains, to ask questions, to share tips and to get to know each other! You don't have to post on a certain day or at a specific time... just stop by when you have a moment, check out the conversation and join in.

Yes, you can make more than one recipe! Yes, you can sit this one out and just follow along with the discussion. Yes, you can post about it on some new social media site that I haven't even heard of yet. No, you don't HAVE to post about it on Instagram/Twitter/Facebook/Pinterest if you have no idea what those things are.

Quick note- we post regular FSC Book Club recaps on the blog. If you have a website or blog that we should be linking to when we highlight your photos/stories, please remember to include the link in your photo captions and comments!

Casey (kcrose210) | 74 comments Picked up a big pack of soba noodles at my asian market this weekend so I will definitely be making one of those dishes. Not sure what else yet.

Jackie (auburnmeadowfarm) | 58 comments I'm warning you about the pimento cheese - so, so good. I've made it at least three times since getting the book.

Celia | 21 comments The pancakes are amazing. I made them a couple of weeks ago. (I'll try to find the photo I took.) So ridiculously fluffy!

I'll be making the crepes this weekend-ish after I pick up some ricotta at our farmers market.

message 5: by KitchenNinja (new)

KitchenNinja | 37 comments Oh dear, I think this is going to be a tough assignment for me. I'm sure I'll fall back on soba noodles, which I love, because I just cannot stand the taste of rye. But I'll try! And I'm sure I'll slather something with pimento cheese. :-)

Casey (kcrose210) | 74 comments I made the caramelized onions yesterday and I am going to put them on a pizza tonight. Will report back but they smelled amazing while cooking!

message 7: by Amy (new)

Amy I made the rye and parmesan supper muffins. Yummy!!

Jackie (auburnmeadowfarm) | 58 comments I loved the Salted Rye Cookies. Brilliant in their elegant simplicity, easy to make and they store so well for an emergency cookie freezer stash.

I wrote about them here:
http://auburnmeadowfarm.com/2013/03/2...

Casey (kcrose210) | 74 comments I definitely reccommend making the buckwheat pancakes! Check out my post here : http://saltedplates.wordpress.com/201...

message 10: by KitchenNinja (new)

KitchenNinja | 37 comments OK, so this is probably cheating, but all I've made for this assignment is the pimento cheese (I told you I'd have trouble with rye). But dag, it's good -- amazing on paninis. So good, in fact, that I refuse to call it pimento cheese: it's roasted red pepper cheese spread. :-) I've blogged about it: http://yankee-kitchen-ninja.blogspot....

Celia | 21 comments I made a fake version of the rye muffins. I used the same proportions, but did superfine brown rice flour for the wheat and teff for the rye. They're delicious, and perfect with soup. (I know there's very little resemblance, but I think teff substitutes pretty well for rye flour.) I also appreciate muffins with no added sugar. Anyway, these work well even if you have to sub out flours like I do.

message 12: by Meg (new) - rated it 4 stars

Meg (megriffi) | 59 comments I also made the buckwheat pancakes this past weekend. I was a bit skeptical, as I have a favorite whole wheat pancake recipe, but these were a nice change. I served them with some apples sautéed in butter, cinnamon, and brown sugar and that helped sweeten them up. I'll head over and post a photo in the album now!

message 13: by Christine, FSC BOOK CLUB MODERATOR (new) - added it

Christine | 107 comments Mod
I think I'll try the buckwheat pancakes soon, but I'm trying to convince myself to make a rye recipe too... Even though its not my favorite grain. Any suggestions? The salted rye crackers, perhaps?

message 14: by Amy (new)

Amy Christine wrote: "I think I'll try the buckwheat pancakes soon, but I'm trying to convince myself to make a rye recipe too... Even though its not my favorite grain. Any suggestions? The salted rye crackers, perhaps?"

I made the rye and Parmesan supper muffins. I thought they were very good. I haven't had them as leftovers yet... sometimes muffins/biscuits don't reheat well.

Jackie (auburnmeadowfarm) | 58 comments Amy wrote: "Christine wrote: "I think I'll try the buckwheat pancakes soon, but I'm trying to convince myself to make a rye recipe too... Even though its not my favorite grain. Any suggestions? The salted rye ..."

The salted rye cookies are delicious.

message 16: by KitchenNinja (new)

KitchenNinja | 37 comments I made the rye supper muffins last night. I thought they were just OK. But then I had one leftover for breakfast this morning -- and they had greatly improved! As Amy mentioned above, most muffins don't reheat well, but these were BETTER the next day. Glad I tried 'em.

message 17: by Amy (new)

Amy I made the Soba Noodles with Shrimp and Veggies and I served it with mixed greens tossed in the Basic Vinaigrette. Yay for two birds with one stone!! I used the tip at the bottom of the soba noodle recipe and just used the random frozen veggies I had. I learned that I don't love soba noodles, I think this dinner would have been absolutely fantastic with rice instead!!

Casey (kcrose210) | 74 comments Here is a link to what I did with the caramelized balsamic onions. They are really simple and extremely tasty.
http://saltedplates.wordpress.com/201...

Tonya | 28 comments I was busy over the weekend making stuff out of this meeting. I made the following:

1. Rye & Parmesan Supper Muffins - These weren't bad. I wanted them to have more of the parmesan flavor and I'm not sure I really like caraway seed flavor. One bite I think I do and the next bite I'm not so sure.

2. Fluffy Buckwheat Pancakes - I really liked these and will make them again and again!

3. Caramelized Onions - these were FABULOUS - and I didn't even have all the right ingredients!!! I didn't have fresh thyme so I used dried. I didn't have balsamic vinegar so I used apple cider vinegar. I plan to have these stocked in my freezer from now until eternity!!!

4. Pimiento Cheese - despite not having the patience to wait for the cream cheese to soften this was super fast and easy to make and was soooo yummy. Everyone LOVED it! I couldn't find hot paprika but found Spanish Paprika which was really smokey and really took the dish to a higher level than regular pimiento cheese. I was at a restaurant recently and they had a grilled pimiento cheese sandwich on the menu. I plan to recreate that with this recipe!

I didn't manage to get a single picture. :(

Jackie (auburnmeadowfarm) | 58 comments I feel like I wimped out a little with my rye and buckwheat attempts by opting only for the ones using flour, but I'm really working the local aspect and the flours were from a local source. Anyway, I LOVED the walnut waffles!

I skipped the quinoa flour and subbed whole wheat, and used sorghum syrup instead of the molasses because surghum syrup was what I had and I'm on a hiatus from quinoa.

I hope you don't take offense to our resistance to following your carefully tested directions Liana! I never was one to color inside the lines...

More about the waffles: http://auburnmeadowfarm.com/2013/04/1...

message 21: by Liana (new)

Liana (liana_krissoff) | 25 comments Of course not, Jackie. I can barely follow my own recipes without changing something. And I think your substitutions are right on. Certainly wouldn't argue with sorghum syrup!

message 22: by Cynthia (new) - added it

Cynthia | 68 comments I'm back! If you've been following along you might remember that I broke my wrist in February and cooking (or typing or doing just about anything) became quite a challenge. I've been following along reading all your posts and thus have been a bit of a virtual cook. But I'm finally back in the kitchen. Hooray!

I have always loved buckwheat. Yesterday morning a friend and I travelled to Skowhegan (Maine) to have brunch at the Pickup Cafe, a local food cafe and CSA connected to the new Somerset Grist Mill. http://somersetgristmill.blogspot.com/. Lo and behold, in addition to local oats and wheat, they are now milling local buckwheat! So my friend and I bought five pounds to split.

When I was in high school and college, Aunt Jemima Buckwheat pancake mix was a staple in my pantry. I also frequently made buckwheat banana biscuits from a recipe I clipped from Woman's Day magazine about whole grains (which were a totally new concept to the USA cooking traditions at that time).

I don't think I've ever made buckwheat pancakes from scratch before. So this morning we had them for breakfast. I just happened to have brown rice flour left from planning to make some gluten free crackers from our last book, "The Homemade Pantry".

Oh how delicious those pancakes were!

I have no idea whether the rice flour I had was "superfine" or not, but I decided to use it without running it through the spice mill, which I would do if I wanted it finer. Some of the pancakes were a little tough, and I wonder if that's why. But too much buckwheat flavor is not an issue for me, so me next time I'll try either all buckwheat flour or a whiz in the grinder for the rice flour.

Thanks for brining me back to buckwheat.

Casey (kcrose210) | 74 comments Glad to hear you are back in action Cynthia!

message 24: by Liana (new)

Liana (liana_krissoff) | 25 comments Cynthia wrote: "I have no idea whether the rice flour I had was "superfine" or not, ..."

Hi Cynthia: I'm happy to hear you're doing better! I've found brown rice flour to vary a bit in grittiness, and I think most of the bulk-bin stuff I've had has been on the coarse side and can have heavy results. The bagged Bob's Red Mill rice flour, though, is quite fine, and works well in delicate things like pancakes and cookies. Other brands may have "superfine" on the label.

message 25: by Cynthia (new) - added it

Cynthia | 68 comments Thanks Liana for that tip. I'll try Bob's next time.

Meanwhile, we made the buckwheat pancakes again and, since neither of us is gluten free I just used regular wheat flour ( in our case that is a wonderful "sifted wear" from a local grist mill. It's not quite whole wheat, since it's sifted, but it's got a lot more richness than white). They were delicious.