5th period-3rd trimester Adv. English discussion

Post Journal 1 Here

Comments Showing 1-31 of 31 (31 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Shannon (new)

Shannon (shenson) | 9 comments Advanced English II students will post journals here.

message 2: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Bauman (elizbaum) | 8 comments The first text i will choose from the book called "Ruby Red." "Everyone looked at charlotte, who had her head in her hands. "I feel..... i just feel dizzy," she said lookin at me. " Everthing's going around and around." This means that she is has a gene in her blood so it shows that she can go back in the past. PG. 12 Chapter 1.

message 3: by Conner (new)

Conner Enzweiler | 10 comments Boot Camp by Todd Strasser,page 2 chapter 1 "would you tell me where your taking me?" The boy is in a car and he has no clue where he is headed to because the driver will not tell him and he is handcuffed and he is complaining that the handcuffs are too tight and the driver named Harry will not loosen them for him.

message 4: by Conner (new)

Conner Enzweiler | 10 comments Boot Camp by Todd Strasser,page 34 chapter 5," I got an A!" He got an A in school, he was sent to the boot camp because how he acted in school and that because of how he acted therefor he did not get good grades.

message 5: by Paige (new)

Paige Johnson | 9 comments "Catching Fire" by Suzanne Collins pg 3 says "If it were up to me, I would try to forget..." This quote is important because she's trying to forget something the whole book is about. She doesn't think she will have to deal with it again in this book though.

message 6: by Kala (new)

Kala A. | 8 comments "No, no, I don't want your help. I can do it on my own, you little bastard, you little Third." (Card, p. 2).

This is the portrayal of Ender's brother through Ender's eyes; from the very beginning of the book it is known that his brother, Peter, torments him. One thing that stands out are that insults Ender uses, perhaps they are what he's heard Peter say to him. That is the question, why save the word "Third" for your last comment, why does it have such a bad connotation? Later in the book it is revealed that there was a limit on how many children people could have, and they had to stop as two. Now being the third child in any family is a new tool in which people have to judge and discriminate; with the years in the future that they had under their belt, this society has not learned past these traits. With the evidence, one could question whether this is apart of the human genome and future generations will be plagued by them as well.

message 7: by Cheyanne (last edited Apr 08, 2013 05:56PM) (new)

Cheyanne Seward | 1 comments The Queen of Cool Chapter 1-13
The book Queen of Cool is basically about a simple teenage girl named Libby, who is friends with the popular girl named Perla. She is the one who all the guys like. But Libby doesn't have that bother her. Well so far in the book Libby and her and the rest of her guy friends are creative and like to make everyday in school interesting with coming up with ideas like pajama day and backwards day. backwards day is where they where there clothes backwards. Sid always goes all out when they have these crazy ideas, for example, in the text it says " Sid is adjusting his pants. They are bothering him because he's put his vintage lime green 1970's polyester suit on backwards and inside out." In chapter nine it speaks about how it was formal night for them, and like any other teenager they think partying and getting drunk before formal is the way to go, but Libby decided to take her dress off and run into the school with her bra and under ware on would be fun, Kenji puts a bag over her head so she doesn't reveal her identity. After she has done that she realizes she has made a fool of herself and she is upset with herself... to be continued.

message 8: by Derrick (new)

Derrick Berry | 7 comments "Failure is never an option" (chap 1 pg. 4) [No Easy Day]
The main character, mark, is in boot camp training for seals training and is having a hard struggle. But he realizes in order to help protect the country. That failure isn't an option so he pushes through.

message 9: by Emily (new)

Emily Evans | 8 comments The Great Gatsby- F. Scott Fitzgerald "I'm glad it's a girl. And I hope she'll be a fool--that's the best thing a girl can be in this world, a beautiful little fool." (pg. 17) Daisy was saying this after she gave birth to her daughter. I think that this really shows the difference in the way people were in this time period. It's set in the twenties and girls were thought of differently. Daisy said that the best thing a girl can be in this world is a beautiful fool because the most a woman could hope to do is to marry and become a housewife. I feel sorry for Daisy because she seems intelligent but she's still stuck with a horrible husband doing nothing with her life. And she believes her daughter will end up the same way because that's how society was and how they viewed women.

message 10: by Kiana (new)

Kiana | 8 comments “Sometimes you have to be apart from people you love, but that doesn't make you love them any less. Sometimes you love them more.” This quote means that in some situations when you love someone it's better to be apart from them. But just because your apart from them doesn't mean you don't love them.

message 11: by Olivia (new)

Olivia Sizemore | 8 comments "For one thing, when you know you weren't invited the first time around,you can't help but feel that your invitation is borderline" pg. 2. "Dangerously Alice" written by Phyllis Reynolds Naylor. This quote is stating that she felt that her invitation was not implied. They didn't care if she came or not. It's her choice

message 12: by Kelsey (new)

Kelsey Williams | 8 comments "I'm late, I've got to finish the dishes on time, otherwise no breakfast" pg.3 ch.1 this child is living a very rough life were if he doesn't finish chores then he has very harsh punishments like no food.

message 13: by Makenna (new)

Makenna Theissen | 8 comments Pretty Little Liars- "Now if the passed Ali's old street and glanced at her house, they didn't go into insta-cry mode. Instead, they started to feel something else. Relief." pg 18
What Sara Shepard is trying to get across at this point in the book, is that even though Alison was the girls' best friend, the person they told all of their secrets to, they were kind of glad Ali was gone. They were afraid of her. Alison knew more about them than anyone else did, things that they just wanted to bury. They felt terrible thinking that Ali might be dead, but if she was dead, at least their secrets were too.

message 14: by Brenton (new)

Brenton Hughes | 8 comments (page 10 in the text of the outside shot) “But the truth was more complicated than that. These days, Hicks was always grousing about how the game was changing. The boys were different and the county was, too.” at this point the coach has been coaching for a while and realizes that the game is changing. The players are faster and more athletic but they don't play for the love of the game. He doesn't like the new game but he loves basketball and wants to stay for his love of the game.

message 15: by Quinn (new)

Quinn Ziegelmeyer | 9 comments “Let’s have no more argument. I have chosen Mr. Baggins and that ought to be enough for all of you. If I say he is a Burglar, a Burglar he is, or will be when the time comes."(pg.15 Ch.1)
This quote is stated by Gandalf as the dwarves question Bilbo's burglary skills. I believe that Gandalf feels that because of his wisdom and experience, the dwarves should take his word for it. This quote shows how Gandalf is predicting that Bilbo will grow as a "burglar". This quote also shows the stubborness of dwarves in the novel. Throughout the book they question Gandalf's decisions and wisdom. They will know better soon enough.

message 16: by Justin (new)

Justin Hungler | 8 comments "It's not about making the people suffer and it's up to us to let them know that", pg 20. This is said by Captain Coles in response to a question asked by Danforth. To me, this signifies that many of the soldiers have that "gung-ho" mentality. Meaning that they think that the war is all about going into the city, making a mess, showing Sadam who is the top dog, and getting everyone to submit to the United States' democracy. Captain Coles is simply trying to give them a different mindset about the war and the Civil Affairs units' sole purpose.

message 17: by Bailey (new)

Bailey | 8 comments "we stepped onto the property, and the air smelled of mold and decaying vegetation." page 13. It was in a unsanitary condition. But in the beginning, in the newspaper it was described as fancy and classy. which made him want to go and win the contest. But he was fairly disappointed when he arrived.

message 18: by Daniel (new)

Daniel Bitter | 9 comments matthew 11:28
"come to me, all who are weary and burdened, and i will give you rest" in this quote Jesus is saying, if you believe in god and except him into your heart then all of your problems will be solved in heaven. Jesus was talking to a crowd that had know who he was, but they would not repent, because they could not believe in there heart that he was the son of god. So Jesus is saying if you believe you will be rewarded in the afterlife.

message 19: by Alec (new)

Alec Burris | 9 comments A significant passage I choose for the book Cannery Row, By Steinbeck is in page two “They come running to clean and cut and pack and cook and can the fish.” Again on that page it goes on to talk more about a little town talking about the scenery and the people. I predict that through the next few chapters the people will be more thourghouly explained and you will find that some of the characters cause unwanted trouble in their peaceful town. I also predict that there will be a lot to do with the canning factory in the town, and people that are involved with it.

message 20: by Alec (new)

Alec Burris | 9 comments A significant passage I choose for the book Cannery Row, By Steinbeck is in page two “They come running to clean and cut and pack and cook and can the fish.” Again on that page it goes on to talk more about a little town talking about the scenery and the people. I predict that through the next few chapters the people will be more thourghouly explained and you will find that some of the characters cause unwanted trouble in their peaceful town. I also predict that there will be a lot to do with the canning factory in the town, and people that are involved with it.

message 21: by Shannon (new)

Shannon (shenson) | 9 comments Justin wrote: ""It's not about making the people suffer and it's up to us to let them know that", pg 20. This is said by Captain Coles in response to a question asked by Danforth. To me, this signifies that many ..."

Hungler

message 22: by Tyler (new)

Tyler Pusateri | 8 comments “Like Thanksgiving or Christmas, this night, Meet the Cards, was a notable event in the county, a holiday, really, circled on calendars for months in advance”

Excerpt From: O’Brien, Keith. “Outside Shot.” St. Martin’s Press. iBooks.
This material may be protected by copyright.

To me this quote shows that the Scott County Cardinal basketball team is a huge deal, they celebrate it like any other holiday.

message 23: by Connor (last edited Apr 15, 2013 05:46PM) (new)

Connor | 4 comments "Redwall" by: Brian Jacques.
"Come with me, Matthias. It is time we walked together." (CH.1 PG.14)
This instance is the Matthias (the protagonist) being taught by his mentor (the Abbot). This is a major development stage of the exposition, introducing the relationship between Matthias and the other members of the abbey.

message 24: by Quinn (new)

Quinn Ziegelmeyer | 9 comments I want A f

message 25: by Summer (new)

Summer Bolton | 4 comments Stephen king The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon pg: 7
"The world had teeth and it could bite you with them anytime it wanted" this is basically saying the world is a bad place some times and you need to be careful.

message 26: by Bryanslater (new)

Bryanslater | 8 comments The mysterious stranger By:Mark twain
There has never been a just [war], never an honorable one--on the part of the instigator of the war. I can see a million years ahead, and this rule will never change in so many as half a dozen instances. The loud little handful--as usual--will shout for the war. The pulpit will--warily and cautiously--object--at first; the great, big, dull bulk of the nation will rub its sleepy eyes and try to make out why there should be a war, and will say, earnestly and indignantly, 'It is unjust and dishonorable, and there is no necessity for it.' Then the handful will shout louder. A few fair men on the other side will argue and reason against the war with speech and pen, and at first will have a hearing and be applauded; but it will not last long; those others will outshout them, and presently the anti-war audiences will thin out and lose popularity. Before long you will see this curious thing: the speakers stoned from the platform, and free speech strangled by hordes of furious men who in their secret hearts are still at one with those stoned speakers--as earlier--but do not dare say so. And now the whole nation--pulpit and all--will take up the war-cry, and shout itself hoarse, and mob any honest man who ventures to open his mouth; and presently such mouths will cease to open. Next the statesmen will invent cheap lies, putting the blame upon the nation that is attacked, and every man will be glad of those conscience-soothing falsities, and will diligently study them, and refuse to examine any refutations of them; and thus he will by and by convince himself the war is just, and will thank God for the better sleep he enjoys after this process of grotesque self-deception.
This quote stood out to me as a great mark twain quote because he's saying war is pointless and there will never be a just war.

message 27: by David (new)

David | 8 comments "He hated their fake concern. They didn't really care what happened to him. they were gutless he could see it in their eyes. they were afraid, glad to be rid of him."

Cole doesn't like it when people fell bad for him. He believes that nobody wanted him and they didn't care what happened to him. He made people afraid of him.

message 28: by Justin (new)

Justin | 8 comments “Maybe you noticed that he didn’t say anything about his Number-Two Son. See, I was the real reason for the new job and the move, and the reason both Mom and Dad seemed to be waiting for me to screw up again, and the reason why we never had any fun as a family, all four of us, anymore.” (Page 12)

This is the first time Gray tells the reader how he sees how he fits into his family. He seems to feel that he is the source of all of his family’s problems. This was the first part that really hit me, and got me to view Gray as a pessimist.

message 29: by Tony (new)

Tony Ashford | 8 comments The Jacker's Stone
"In his dreems the man was always cloaked in shadow" The very first sentence, to the reader instantly put the reader in the mind of the main character. The book is very direct and to the story as if you were this person. The following sentence reads "And sometimes, like tonight, Fischer awoke with sensation of a searing pain that emerged from somewhere deep inside him" Which is another indicator that the book is straight forward.

message 30: by Nick (new)

Nick | 9 comments Cannery row - "the word symbol and a delight which sucks up men and scenes, trees, plants, factories, and Pekingese." The first sentence of the second chapter is this. It stands for the name and explains the name of the book, if you didn't know, like me, you prolly don't know what cannery row means.

message 31: by Jacob (new)

Jacob | 5 comments Fallen Angels-My plans, maybe just my dreams really, had been to go to college, and to write. . . . All the other guys in the neighborhood thought I was going to college. I wasn't, and the army was the place I was going to get away from all the questions. I believe this is supposed to symbolize what the american dream and how things don't always work the way we want them to.

50x66

5th period-3rd trimester Adv. English

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Queen of Cool (other topics)