The BURIED Book Club discussion

Coleman Dowell
This topic is about Coleman Dowell
unBURIED Authors A-D > Coleman Dowell

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Garima (new)

Garima | 78 comments Not unknown among my friends here, namely Mike Puma and MJ and on to-read list of few:

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/78...

but with 9 distinct works along with 54 ratings in total and only 21 reviews, he looks like BURIED:

http://www.goodreads.com/author/show/...

I got to know about him while reading about Gilbert Sorrentino, Again!

message 2: by Nathan "N.R." (new)

Nathan "N.R." Gaddis (nathannrgaddis) | 985 comments Oh hey! I was just thinking about this question of gay writers who are NOT writing gay-genre fiction which bookstores tend to shelve in ghettos. I don't know what that's supposed to mean, but thought to highlight it.

I'll add Nate D's and knig's reviews of Too Much Flesh and Jabez as tbr (who also have reviews for Island People and Puma and Jacob reviewed The Houses of Children and Nate D has one for Mrs. October Was Here and the RCF has granted him 1/3 of an issue, which is not too shabby either.

message 3: by Nate D (new)

Nate D (rockhyrax) | 354 comments Island People is one of the finest novels I have ever encountered: a micro-dissection of human interaction, a ghost story, a diary of madness, a fabricated memoir, a post-modern self-inquiry. Layers upon quivering layers. So I'm glad to see this is here and perhaps I'll actually read my copy of One of the Children Is Crying soon and add that to the mix.

message 4: by Nathan "N.R." (new)

Nathan "N.R." Gaddis (nathannrgaddis) | 985 comments This is rude, but I'm usurping Garima's prerogative of posting a link to her excellent review of Island People :: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

message 5: by Sketchbook (last edited Jul 06, 2013 11:16AM) (new)

Sketchbook Coleman Dowell (1961) did the music & book for an OB version of Carl Van Vechten's novel "The Tattooed Countess." CVV reported the opening, "The audience was brilliant, the applause was staggering. The notices were the worst I have ever read. Fortunately not a single word of mine was used. Also fortunately Cole repeated this fact endlessly to everyone. I am not unhappy about the failure except for Cole who is deeply injured." It expired after 4 perfs.

Dowell had begun work on this musical in 1957, reports CVV. Backers auditions were held at the CVV apt on Central Park West. But, he adds, something happened to the material before it reached Off-Broadway. A cloying libretto substituted sentimentality for irony. It's an interesting bit of bio for Dowell's resume.

Thanks for pointing me to the kerect thread, Garima.

message 6: by Nate D (new)

Nate D (rockhyrax) | 354 comments That period of his life turns up in Island People as well. In fact, it's in some ways the inciting incident of that whole book. Interesting to get more of the proper history there.

message 7: by Sketchbook (new)

Sketchbook I will read Island People. Tks.

message 8: by Zach (new)

Zach | 2 comments i have a library copy of one of the children is crying on my dresser at the moment. will start soon!

message 9: by Eric (new)

Eric | 57 comments Have had dalkey Island People since last winter sale of theirs; recently acquire Mrs October; will read 1 of the 2 soon, if not both.

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

My very brief review of One Of The Children Is Crying is here. I found it to be an excellent work of Southern Gothic literature.

I have Island People on the way to me as well, and am looking forward to getting to it, as I found One Of The Children Is Crying to be quite strong, but understand Island People to be his signature work (and, of course, well praised here).

message 11: by Nate D (last edited Dec 11, 2013 10:19AM) (new)

Nate D (rockhyrax) | 354 comments First review of that one ever! Well done. Island People is incredible.

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

Nate D wrote: "First review of that one ever! Well done. Island People is incredible."

Yeah, the "first review" thing is an oddly good feeling.

I've got Island People at the house now, I have a feeling I'll be getting to it within the next couple of books I read.

message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

And... here's my review of Island People.

(view spoiler)

message 14: by [deleted user] (new)

Here's my review of Dowell's The Houses of Children: Collected Stories. Very much looking forward to delving into his novels next.

message 15: by Ronald (new)

Ronald Morton | 65 comments Just got done with Mrs. October Was Here, and found it to be a good transition novel , bridging the gap between One Of The Children Is Crying and Island People.

My review is here.

Now I need to get to Too Much Flesh and Jabez, which is sitting at home somewhere.