Espionage Aficionados discussion

Random Chats > best spy blogs & reviewers ?

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Christine (new)

Christine (christineoftroy) | 1 comments Hi everyone! I'm new to this group and the whole spy thriller genre in general. I'm wondering if you guys can tell me some of your favorite and most-frequented blogs/review boards for the genre? [other than goodreads, of course!]

Thanks!

message 2: by Paul (new)

Paul Spencer Christine wrote: "Hi everyone! I'm new to this group and the whole spy thriller genre in general. I'm wondering if you guys can tell me some of your favorite and most-frequented blogs/review boards for the genre? [o..."

Hi Christine,

Welcome to the group. In my book you can't find a better espionage writer than John Le Carre. He transcends the genre and is a great writer in his own right. My favorites are "Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy" and "Smiley's People" but even his lesser books are better than 99% of the rest of what you'll find in this genre. He's not for everyone though, he's pretty intellectual and at times a bit slow. If you're looking for action/adventure stuff he's not your man.

My only other recommendation would be Alan Furst, particularly his earlier stuff ("Night Soldiers," "Dark Star," etc.). He's not quite on a par with Le Carre but he's pretty damn close.

Hope this helps.

-Paul

message 3: by Richard (last edited Mar 21, 2013 04:22AM) (new)

Richard (richard-snow) | 7 comments Christine wrote: "Hi everyone! I'm new to this group and the whole spy thriller genre in general. I'm wondering if you guys can tell me some of your favorite and most-frequented blogs/review boards for the genre? [o..."

I agree with Paul: John le Carre is the King of this genre. In real life le Carre actually worked for both MI5 and MI6. Most of his main characters have serious personality and personal issues: they are not "James Bond" types. The plots usually take a little while to get going. His more recent work has branched into things like malpractice by the pharmaceutical industry ('The Constant Gardener'). You might find it interesting to read Wikipedia's article on him: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_le_...