Young Adult Fiction for Adults discussion

Series > Uglies (Pretties, Specials) series by:Scott Westerfeld

Comments Showing 1-25 of 25 (25 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Julie (new)

Julie I thought this was a very fun series. Didn't clip along as quickly as the Twilight series but still held my interest. I don't plan on reading the next book "Extras" as there is a change of characters and I wanted to keep following the origional characters.

message 2: by Trina (new)

Trina (trieb) | 4 comments Actually I wasn't going to follow along either, but a couple of kids recommended it to me. The new characters are interesting in their own way. I enjoyed seeing how the world changed (years later) due to Tally.

And there's nothing I can do about spoilers, but the original characters do show up, but the novel is not about their journey.

message 3: by Julie (new)

Julie Maybe I will give it a try then!

message 4: by Lyn (new)

Lyn (lhilt) | 5 comments these are absolutely some of my favorite books. i have reread them, am finishing specials for the second time and have Extras ready to go!

message 5: by [deleted user] (last edited Feb 19, 2008 06:27AM) (new)

I loved these books as well! Such a fresh, interesting and scary (but true!) take on social constructs. I literally could not put them down and when I did, I couldn't wait to start reading them again. I was obsessed! *haha* I can't decide whether or not I want to read "Extras," though.

Has anyone read any of Scott Westerfeld's other books? I've read "So Yesterday." It was pretty good, kind of annoying but still an interesting perspective. I've never really read books by an author who had his particular perspective on society and popular culture. I love it! I was thinking of getting "Peeps" from the book store tonight. I've read mixed reviews about it.

message 6: by Lyn (new)

Lyn (lhilt) | 5 comments I just ordered Peeps... looking forward to it's arrival. "So Yesterday" caught my interest too..

alisonwonderland | 6 comments i just picked up Extras at the library. i haven't (yet) read any of his other stuff, but i want to read Peeps and my daughter really likes the Midnighters series, so i'm sure i'll get to that eventually.

i did really enjoy the social commentary of the Uglies trilogy, especially in Uglies.

message 8: by Eshusdaughter (new)

Eshusdaughter | 2 comments I've read So Yesterday and Midnighters 1. I'm reading the 2nd Midnighter's book right now. So Yesterday isn't bad but it isn't as engaging as the Uglies series or Midnighters. It was one of Westerfeld's earlier YA novels and that shows. Midnighters is more paranormal/suspense and it doesn't have the social commentary. It does have a great cast of characters however, a good plot and the fast pace that was typical of the Ugly series. I really recommend the Midnighters books.

I have Peeps and it's sequel on my to-read list.

Give Extras a try. It's a new cast of characters set in the same world but the concepts are really new and engaging. And uh you will be seeing some of our old favorites from Uglies again. I cheered when they showed. You won't be disappointed.

Shannon (Giraffe Days) (giraffe_days) I read this trilogy late last year and loved it. I'm a big fan of thought-provoking fantasy, and I love that YA gets some excellent books - you just have to dig through all the gossip girl books to find them :)

I haven't read any of his others but Peeps has been on my wish-list for a while.

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

Thanks everyone! I think I'll just read them all. *haha*

Shannon, can you recommend any other thought provoking fantasy? Uglies was my first time reading anything from the genre and I don't know much about it.

message 11: by Alexandra (new)

Alexandra Jenn, I loved the Midnighters series. Haven't read any of the Uglies series yet, but I plan to.

Xerxes Break(Vivian Ephona) (Ephona) It's really good. Very creative thought I don't like Tally that much...have no clue why...

message 13: by Starr (new)

Starr | 7 comments Hey Jenn, thanks for your comments on both the Uglies and Extras series. I have been hesitant to pick any of these books up. I also loved Midnighters, so I will give these others a try!

message 14: by Lisa (new)

Lisa  (Bookworm Lisa) (letsread) | 22 comments A few years ago, The Uglies was recommended to me. I purchased it soon after, but I haven't read it. I guess I will give it a try - soon.

message 15: by J-Lynn Van Pelt (new)

J-Lynn Van Pelt | 27 comments The first in the series, Uglies, is being discussed right now on the YA Book Club group. You should check it out.

Xerxes Break(Vivian Ephona) (Ephona) It's good! Read it! I liked it better than Pretties, actually. Still reading Specials...

message 17: by Elissa (new)

Elissa  (littlebitofe) I love this series even though I am a 37-year old Mom! Pretties was my favorite, but I can't put my finger on the reason why.

Now my almost 10-year old daughter just finished Uglies and can't wait to read Pretties over the summer.

I love all the future stuff, but I also love all the underlying lessons.

message 18: by Emily (new)

Emily (ejfalke) Am I the only one who is not a big fan of this series? I agree that it's thought-provoking and fun, but...I don't know. I haven't gotten to Specials yet - should I keep going?

message 19: by Starr (new)

Starr | 7 comments Was anyone else slightly disappointed with the third book of the Midnighters series? I am having a hard time finishing it. It isn't drawing my attention like books 1 and especially book 2. Thoughts?

message 20: by Violaceous (new)

Violaceous | 1 comments Uglies was my first Westerfeld read and while I liked it I didn't feel that compulsion to go out and buy the rest of the series. Midnighters, on the other hand, totally hooked me. I think it had a lot to do with the math. Really. I've never been a math person but I loved the way he combined it with history and mysticism in that series.

I didn't have any problems finishing the third book. I thought he wrapped up the series nicely.

message 21: by Allison (new)

Allison | 11 comments I really do recommend Extras. As you know, it's set after the events that occur in Specials, but in a completely different country (we know it as Japan). I honestly found it interesting to see how the society changed after the people were "freed".

True, the ending was a bit bizarre, but all in all, I'd say this is my second favorite book out of all of them (Uglies is, of course, my number one favorite!) I really found the switch of main character refreshing, after Tally had become so...alien.

message 22: by Allison (new)

Allison | 11 comments For anybody who isn't sure, So Yesterday is kind of a spin-off of Peeps, so read that one first. I liked it WAY better.

Cassi aka Snow White Haggard | 2261 comments I liked the Uglies series. For me it was faster than Twilight (which i disklike, only referencing b/c someone else did). I could read one of these in a day after work (I have a full time 8-5 job with 30 minute commute).

I enjoyed the world that Uglies was set in. Extras didn't quite enthuse me as much but I enjoyed the Internet references. I kinda want to know more about Tally & David, but maybe that's just me because I always preferred him to anyone else in the series.

message 24: by Rachael (new)

Rachael (piperbunny) I loved the Uglies series, and I really liked Extras. It took the word we knew and made us see it in a new light.

There are so many themes discussed in the books which isn't so apparent as you read them.

I do wonder if he'd write another one in the series?

I've not heard of Peeps? I'll look it up in a bit.

Pretties was my favourite too, I loved the lingo in it, afterwards everything was bubbly and scary-making :)

message 25: by Tia (new)

Tia (mlcgirl) | 1 comments Seriously one of the best series I have EVER read! I personal believe it is hands down BETTER than Twilight, but I won't go into detail why.

Characters are really deep and have interesting perspectives, it's got plenty of twists, plus it's got lots of action.

WELL worth the read anyone who is wondering.