We Read Indie Books RG2E! discussion

Nominate books for April - July!

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tamara (new)

Tamara Ward (tamaraward) | 80 comments Mod
Hi, everyone! It's time again to nominate books! If you've got in mind a book that you'd like this group to read and discuss, please leave a comment under this thread. In your comment, mention the book's title and author, as well as the genre and a link to the book on Goodreads if possible. Make certain the independently published book is available on multiple platforms (Kindle and Nook included).

We'll be reading the book with the most votes first, in April-May... and the runner up we'll read and discuss June-July.

Thanks so much! Your book nominations have broadened my reading library. :)

message 2: by Seeley (new)

Seeley James (seeleyjames) At the risk of being called names, I will self-nominate and if chosen will also offer a free e-book to any WRIBRG2E member. It is a thriller with many good reviews (not all of them were written by my mother :) Click on the link to read the info:

Peace, Seeley

The Geneva Decision (Pia Sabel, #1) by Seeley James

message 3: by Rhonda (last edited Mar 19, 2013 01:45PM) (new)

Rhonda (rhondahopkins) | 43 comments I'd like to nominate David N. Walker's FANCY. The Goodread's link is: http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/15...

"The Fancy series is the story of a fourteen year-old girl orphaned by the civil war who must make her own way in the world. In Fancy – Volume 1, she takes over running her family’s farm while caring for her four year-old sister."

I haven't read it yet, but have been wanting to. It's the first in a series. Plus "ten per cent of all proceeds goes to help Compassion International support needy children in South America and Africa, to help Teen Challenge turn drug addicts into solid, drug-free citizens, and for other similar works." From Mr. Walker's website.

message 4: by Pen & Pad (last edited Mar 19, 2013 04:49PM) (new)

Pen & Pad Publishing (penpadpublishing) I'd like to nominate Barrel Child by Pamela K. Marshall. A sequel to the book is coming out later in 2013.
Barrel Child by Pamela K. Marshall
It a fictional account of the struggles a family must overcome when circumstance forces proof of a mother's love to be sent via airmail, and the ripple effects of material things taking the place of a mother's presence.

While the term "barrel child" is not widely known, the phenomenon's devastating effects on children and familial ties have long plagued Jamaica. With economic prospects declining in the country and almost half of Jamaican households headed by women, many mothers are forced to emigrate to the United States, Canada or Europe in search of employment and better economic opportunities to support their children. Sadly, these mothers must leave their children behind with close friends or relatives until they can amass the financial means to have their children join them overseas. Often, mothers are separated from their children for years, only able to send barrels of food, clothes, money and other sustenance to show their love.

Such is the fate of Sara Lewis, a young woman left under her aunt and uncle's care while her mother ventures to America to set up a better life for them. The story is full of love, cultural clash and family secrets.

message 5: by Tamara (new)

I'm nominating An Eternity of Roses by Natalie Owens. An Eternity of Roses (The Valthreans Book 1) by Natalie G. Owens

It's paranormal romance.

Book blurb: It is 1807. Adrian Segrave, Viscount Bournemouthe, and Lady Emmaline Deramore are about to wed and British Society teems with excitement at this imminent love match. But Madeleine de Brandeville, a mysterious Frenchwoman, has her lustful and ambitious sights on the groom. When she sets her cruel plan in motion, she leaves devastation in her path.

Heartbroken, Emmaline embarks on an adventure she'd never imagined having. As the world changes and chaos brews, her fate becomes linked with the Valthreans, a group of immortals who must learn to face a deadly enemy that threatens their place in the human world. But all the while, there is one thing she wants more than any other--to get back her man.

When she finally finds her prize, her worst nightmares are far from over and the toughest battle is yet to begin. Will love win the war in the end?

message 6: by Debra (new)

Debra Dunbar (debradunbar) | 1 comments I'm nominating The Curse Merchant by J. P. SloanThe Curse Merchant

It's a paranormal thriller written in the style of the old noir detective novels. I really loved it - should have a review up before Monday.

message 7: by Janice (new)

Janice Palko (janicelanepalko) | 3 comments If it's not inappropriate, my book, a romantic comedy, St. Anne's Day begins in July, and I'd be happy to offer free ebooks if you'd like to read that for the month of July. http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/15...

message 8: by Tamara (new)

Thanks, for the nominations, everyone! We've got some great books up for voting. The poll is now open, through April 2, at http://www.goodreads.com/poll/show/81....